Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ADSL Signal on new order

wolfhowl
Grafter

No ADSL Signal on new order

Hello everyone,
This is my first post as a member of plusnet, and has to be said, i really did not want it to be one concerning such a topic.
I finally decided to get broadband on our bt line as im sick with my parents virgin media cable, it drifts in and out, needs constant resetting, and is slow, painfully slow.  And so after paying for Plusnets package, i followed the order tracker closely, counting down the days till i could watch a full length youtube video, play cod4 without being booted out for high ping, or anything else.  My broadband was due to be activated on the 18th April 2009.
Prior to that date, i recieved an email from plusnet, apologising for a delay i didnt know existed, and that my order was now running smoothly.  They stated my internet would be activated on the 17th April 2009, but a sentence after that said i may not be able to use it until the beginning of next week??.  I took half a notice of this email, as it came out of the blue, talking about delays i hadnt heard about. 
So anyway, 17th April came, my order tracker dissapeared, i received a welcome email, saying my broadband was active!  well, as soon as that arrived i plugged my router (from plusnet) in ready to get going...My ADSL light failed to come on (completely off, not even a flicker)..  after messing about with resets etc i rang customer service.  Apparently my internet would be available at midnight on the 17th.  And so, 12:10 am Saturday, i tried again...ADSL light failed once more (completely off, not even a flicker).  annoyed but tired, i waited till midday incase there was a mistake, and going by what the original order tracker had said "18th April 2009 after 12:00 pm.  Tried again, same problem.  you get the idea, i dont think its going to come on.
And so i have rang customer service and had a discussion, here is what i have done
- Tried setting it up, my splitter is connected correctly without a doubt.  No ADSL light comes on
- Tried a reset, repeated above step.  No ADSL light comes on.
- Tried unplugging every phone etc, going to master socker and trying again.  No ADSL light. * note my master socket does not have a test socket, must be old  Sad
- I currently have no other router/splitter/adsl cable to test with.
Basically the summary of the story is this.  where is my problem?  according to plusnet and bt i am connected to the exchange, my broadband is activated.    The ADSL light doesnt switch on at all which makes me think its a cable/splitter fault?  *IT might be worth mentioning that if i put the splitter into a phone line, with just the phone connected to the splitter, i get no dial tone, cannot ring anyone, and cannot recieve calls.  without the splitter, the phone is fine.  Am i right in assuming thats not good?
Surely if its down to hardware, i should get a new one sent by plusnet?  Is it worth waiting till monday and trying then, going by what the first email spoke about regarding delays?  Or is the phone getting no dial tone with splitter enough to point to it being that as the cause of all this?  Im not sure i want to rush out and by loads of stuff if its suddenly going to work beginning of next week.
Apologies for the rant, but for the first day with plusnet, its kind of a downer.
Thank you.
84 REPLIES 84
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: No ADSL Signal on new order

I don't blame you for feeling down, I would..
From what you say it sounds like that filter may be faulty, but be careful what you do here for a moment - if you manage to sync with the exchange but at a low speed, that will set a low fault threshold - not good for the future.
Do you know how far you are (roughly) from the exchange?
Do I understand right, you only have 1 filter?
You have an old style master, but how many extensions do you have and how many do you normally have  phones, faxes, sky or anything else plugged in?
wolfhowl
Grafter

Hello Anotherone,
Grateful for the quick reply.
I am approximately 2.0 miles, thats using google maps, going along some roads, in a round about way, so i would say just under, bout 1.5. 
I have 1 ADSL microfilter from plusnet.
I have 1 master, 2 extensions.  1 is in my room, which im trying to plug into, the other usually has a phone on.  However throughout this process, it has been unplugged. The master has nothing on it.
Hope this is helpful,
Thank you.
Anotherone
Champion

Did the modem/router come from PN? What is it?
Being used to cable, you may not appreciate all the ins & outs of ADSL, so just in case (sorry if you do) -
Every socket that is to be used for POTS (that's plain old telephone service, ie faxes, phones, sky boxes etc) MUST have a microfilter. If you are not plugging into a socket you don't need anything.
The microfilter does two things, it provides a convertion from the BT style plug to the RJ11 for the modem, there is actually no filtering between these two bits, its a straight connection, and second it provides filtering for the telephone stuff so use of the phone does not interfere or otherwise with the ADSL. If you plug a phone in unfiltered when you have sync with a modem/router you will lose sync and re-sync at a very low rate.
In the first 10 days of an ADSL connection, the lowest sync speed determines the fault threshold, so in the future unless the sync drops below this BT won't consider a fault!! That' why it is critical to get the best in these 10 days. You must use top quality filters. Cheap nasty filters can limit your sync speed.
Your internal wiring will also affect what happens. Don't plug your modem/router in for a while now until you have finished reading what I will say, and you are happy to proceed. I will post a bit more straight away, just wanted you to read this first.
itsme
Grafter

You could try plugging the router in without the filter. The filter is for the telephone and not the router. If you do this don't have a phone plugged in and you probably will have to find another lead for the router because of the different plug. You should be able to use the lead from your telephone.
Anotherone
Champion

DO NOT PLUG THE ROUTER IN AT ALL.
The fact that your phone works when you plug into the socket direct, but not when you plug into the filter suggests the filter is faulty in some way, what ever it's fault it could prevent the modem/router from connecting - probably fortuitous apart from your frustration. If the router is not plugged in (and syncing) it is OK to plug the phone in unfiltered.
Now to your wiring, I'll do that in the next post, so you can read this.
Anotherone
Champion

With old type wiring, it will reduce your sync speed and add noise pickup giving more errors etc.
In a broadband situation the only wiring you need connected is that which goes to terminals 2 & 5. Now because you have an old style master you must proceed with care. BT are not keen on people messing with "their" wiring, but every thing down stream of a "Master" socket is supposedly the customers problem.
If you have a digfital camera, it may be handy if you want to post pictures if you have queries, you can attach them using the additional options button below the reply box. More to follow.
Anotherone
Champion

You need to disconnect the "bell" wire on terminal 3 and it's mate on 4, and if there are wires on 1 & 6 you may as well disconnect them. As I've said only 2 & 5 are needed. At the back of your master socket (you'll need to unscrew it), you should see the incoming cable of 2 wires going to 2 & 5, then an outgoing cable to your first extension. It is the wires on this cable that may be also connected to 1,3,4 & 6 and should be disconnected by pulling them vertically out of the IDC terminal.
The wires to the other extension may also go from here, in which case remove them as well, they may hopefully go from the first extension to the second.
Go to each extension socket in turn and remove all wires not connected to 2&5.
All disconnected wires should be neatly coiled away from the other connections. NOTE, once you have done this the only socket where your phone may ring will be the master, until such time as you have a working filter. The filter re-creates the bell-wire if needed by the phone. I think I''ve said enough to start! Please post back with any queries.
wolfhowl
Grafter

My head hurts  Shocked
Lets go back to the first part.
My modem/router came from PN.  It is a speed touch.  the one you get for free, after paying for postage and packaging, when you sign up if you need one.
Going on getting some good quality filters, could you recomend any?  or possibly link me to some?  Im not sure what would classify as cheap and nasty, or over the top expensive.
Now onto wiring, and i can see this being a major hurdle.  I dont own a camera, so thats out of the window.  And second, i think my dad has a severe phobia of change, especially when it involves me doing something to the house.  He has a cardiac arrest everytime i reset our virgin modem, or tweak some settings on it, and so i have no chance of getting near those sockets for re-wiring jobs.  No matter how minor they may be.  Luckily i can at least check my room one..and 1, 2 and 5 are connected.  I'll try to see if i can look at the others tomorow.  Until then, whats my next step?
Again, thanks for the help
scootie
Grafter

welcome to PN and the forum.
as Anotherone's all ready said it looks as tho you've been unlucky and got a  faulty filter.
you will have to do some mission impossable Cool style sniping of the bell wires when your dad's nipped out to the shops
dont worry he makes my head hurt some times with his wealth of knowledge on adsl and bt's wiring :).
anotherone isnt it time you changed your name to Alexander Graham Bell  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

By the way, welcome to the forums and to PlusNet, you'll genreally find us a friendly lot. There are a few cynics around (I can be one occassionally  Wink )
Sorry about the information overload, but as soon as I saw your descriptions, I felt it necessary to warn you of everything relevant. People new to ADSL are not given enough information (that's no criticism of PN especially) they're all in the same boat.
Did you say 1 , 2 & 5 in your room, or did you mean 3 , 2 & 5?
OK, this 10 day training period doesn't start until your first sync with the exchange, so there is no rush apart from your frustration. I'd suggest you get 2 quality working filters before you alter the wiring in view of the situation with your Dad (I remember that problem when I was your age  Roll_eyes  ) and do it when he's out of the way.
Describe to me what you can see at the back of your socket, colour wires etc. There should be no components just 6 terminals in 2 groups of 3. I'll find some pictures in a minute to post for you. I'll also get some links about filters.
I don't know how late you may want/can stay up, but I can post later for you to look in the morning if you can't.
Is your socket the last one on the extension run? Once you've got the filters, you can disconnect the unnecessary wires. The ones at the master and yours will be the most critical to start.
In the mean time, try the phone in that filter again, is it completely dead or can you hear any noise? If it definitely doesn't work, ring PN tomorrow and request another. Again I stress don't, regretably, plug that router in until you've got the 2 filters and the bell wires disconnected..
Anotherone
Champion

HI ASBO, yeh very good  Grin Grin
Anotherone
Champion

Right been busy doing a few other things, now here's the information I've promised.
There is a few useful links here on Wiring & Sockets, so you can see what you've got.All wiring shows the new colours. You may have old colours of Blue, Orange, Green & Brown. (Blue & Orange are generally the ones on 2 & 5). In new colours it will be Blue with white trace on 2, White with blue trace on 5.
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
The best filters are generally the BT MF50 (in a couple of guises), Speedtouch UK420 & possibly UK413, Excelsus Z-420UK, ADSL Nation XF-1e, all generally described as "rat-tail" or "dangly" type filters. The filters that look like socket doublers/plug splitters similar to say some of the Solwise ones, are generally not very good, I would say avoid them. Here are some links - they are not necessarliy recommended suppliers, just an indication of what is available and the (sometimes significant) price variations. The very last link is a brief analysis of a spectrum of filters.
http://www.voyager.bt.com/microfilters/microfilter_index.htm
http://www.northway.net/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&review=write&productId=6
http://shop.argonaughtshop.co.uk/epages/es106754.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es106754_shop/Products/...
http://www.shop.bt.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4D46&CategorySelectedId=11211&PageMode=1&Navigatio...
http://www.landlinephones.co.uk/product.php?pinf=636-31--BT_ADSL_MF50_Microfilter--
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=33169&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15
http://www.thomsondslshop.com/413_datasheet.asp?menuCurrPos=4.
http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/buye.html
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=771
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/support/filters.php
HTH, post back with any queries.
Edit: Filters must comply with BT spec SIN346v2.3 or later
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hello & welcome.
Just a small suggestion as Anotherone has been extremely thorough.
You say the phone does not work when connected via the filter. This is strange but plausible.
If possible, borrow another (ideally known to be working) filter from a friend or neighbour and try that.
DO NOT CONNECT THE ROUTER. (you need to be sure the phone is working properly first)
If you have more than one socket try the phone in all of them:
- First with no filter
- Then with the PlusNet filter
- Finally with another filter
I wouldn't be messing with the wiring at this stage, it certainly can affect broadband but only very rarely will it disable it if the phone works.
(in fact sometimes you can get broadband when the phone won't work)
Anotherone
Champion

But as you know HP if he doesn't do the wiring first (as soon as he has the opportunity) he'll sync at a much lower rate and this will be the start of the 10 days training. If it was outside of that period, it wouldn't matter a monkey's.
Edit: Are PN sending you another filter Wolf Howl? I think it's a bit of a bummer if they are only sendning one filter with these modems Angry