cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user advice please

randpwar
Grafter

New user advice please

SWMBO’s parents are about to purchase their first laptop and will require a broadband service; obviously I’m pushing them to Plusnet and they’re happy to proceed. As the property has never had broadband before (or any internet connection) is it just a case of contacting Plusnet and giving them the relevant details? I’m assuming that it’s not necessary to arrange an engineer’s visit. I know Plusnet send out a router, given that they're only going to be using a laptop via wifi and therefore an ethernet cable won't be used, is filters all I'll need to get for them?
Please feel free to move this thread to another category
8 REPLIES 8
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: New user advice please

I did a similar thing for a friend in Ipswich at the weekend.  It all went very well and they were happy with PN service.  They completed their application online without any problem.
itsme
Grafter

Filters come with the modem router.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

and you will  (probably )need the ethernet cable to initially set up the wifi/router connection.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Check for any old phone extension wiring and make the extension point uses a micro-filter too.  In my case some "illegal" extension wiring installed over 25 years ago by previous occupants gave rise to some nasty intermittent ADSL problems when we used the circuit for the first time.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

randpwar
Grafter

Please excuse a dumb question…..One of the choices is to ‘Choose a broadband router’ where either a wired or wireless router can be sent. As you can see in previous posts in this thread Shutter suggests that I ‘will  (probably )need the ethernet cable to initially set up the wifi/router connection’. This suggests that the router must be capable of both wired and wireless (as my Netgear is) so what is the need for the choice? Are the ‘free’ routers from Plusnet only capable of one or the other?
Many thanks to all those who have offered advice
Rob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The wireless router also has 4 ethernet ports but I think that the non wireless one only has a one (not sure as they change the model ever so often) http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml
sparkrace12
Grafter

Rob.
I have recently joined Plusnet from Sky.
I was a bit dubious changing as I had such a good connection with Sky, my changeover was 1st August and went without a hitch!, I should of done it sooner.
At first I ordered a wired router, a Thomson Speedtouch was sent (ST516 ) , but I then realised I would not be able to use my wifi laptop.
I contacted Plusnet, the next day a replacement router was sent, Thomson technicolor TG 582N.
Consisting of  4 port wired ethernet sockets and the wifi., with no aerial connection
I used the ethernet cable supplied to set the unit up initially, and then my laptop without the cable, followed by my Wifi Epson printer, all works fine without any problem.
It took approx 15mins for the router to set up as the instructions.
Just waiting for the changeover for my home phone now
Hope this helps Grin 
sparkrace22