Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet

ohforf
Dabbler

New to Plusnet

Hi all,
Only been with plusnet for 3 days now and am impressed with the service and speed that I am getting. I understand that for the first 10 days I can expect a few problems with connection as they max my line which is fine. My question is, will this effect latency/ping? The reason I ask is on my old isp I was getting on average a latency of 50ms in World of Warcraft. With plusnet this is up to 130ms on average. I am not suggesting that this is an unplayable latency by any means but I am in to pvp and would like to get this figure as low as possible.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet

Latency may be affected but it is unlikely.
The most likely reason would be having interleaving on the line which can add 20 -> 30ms to your ping times.
Once the trial period + a few days have elapsed and your ping times are still high raise a ticket to check if interleaving is on (or a CS agent may be able to check and let you know now!).
Some routers also tell you if it is on - what router / modem do you use and can you post your line stats.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It may well settle down, but bear in mind we turn on interleaving on every new order which might increase it a bit (but does dramatically reduce errors on the line). We'll be more than happy to remove this for you but it'd be good to have a look at the line stats once it's settled down, as if the sync speed is low it's generally better to leave the interleaving on.
I notice you're on the BBYW Pro so you should be getting faster pings than that - let us know how things are in a week or so and we'll take another look at interleaving for you.
Hope this helps,
zubel
Community Veteran

It is possible that Interleaving is enabled on your line.
BT will often enable interleaving, which increases your pings by around 20-30ms, but does stabilise otherwise 'dodgy' lines.
Your modem or router will often report whether Interleaving is turned on (Somewhere under the ADSL status it may mention Interleaving or Interleaved modulation). 
You can request that this is turned off by raising a ticket.  I would, however, suggest that you wait until your 10-day training period is over.
If removing interleaving makes your line unstable, you can request that it be turned on again by raising a ticket.
B.
EDIT: Beaten to it by you two Tongue
ohforf
Dabbler

Thanks for that Smiley I do know on my old isp which was a 2meg connection I had what they called fastpath. No idea what that means but there you go.
I got a netgear 834gt router and below are my line stats today. I am unplugging the router everyday for around 15 mins as advised.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 10.0 db 5.0 db
Noise Margin 9.5 db 23.0 db
I dont pretend to know what all this means Smiley
Many thanks
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Fastpath is what you have when interleaving is turned off.
You cannot have interleaving on a fixed 2Mbps service.
zubel
Community Veteran

Looks like you're fairly close to the exchange and syncing at a nice fast speed.
I would suggest that your line would happily support having interleaving turned off, but it is very important to do this after the initial 10-day training period.
B.
ohforf
Dabbler

Thanks for all your help. I will give it a week or so then and see how it goes. Nice friendly forum this Smiley
Neil_A
Grafter

Welcome to the community  Smiley