Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet

Nighto
Dabbler

New to Plusnet

Hi all
I have just joined PlusNet.
My connection went live last Thursday (12.05.11) and I actually became connected to the broadband last Saturday (14.05.11) when my router came.  I know it is still early yet and the advice does say it may be ten days before my broadband becomes stable.  However, my download speeds are only around the 0.2Mbps mark and making use of the Internet quite a chore.
I am wondering if anyone else had such low speeds to begin with and did it pick up significantly within the ten days?  My estimated download speed is 3.2Mbps.  I have rebooted my router as recommended but this didn't make any diffference.
Is this normal or am I being a little anxious over nothing?
Thank you in anticipation.
Kindest regards
Nighto
12 REPLIES 12
Epyon
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet

0.2 is not normal for any broadband service training period or not.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please post the stats from your router from http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
Speeds, attenuation and noise margin
Nighto
Dabbler

Thank you.
I will need to do this later as I am at work at the moment.
nighto
Nighto
Dabbler

Thank you, oldjim.
Here is the information you requested:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:26

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 15,275 / 3,056

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 2,808

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 555.00 / 354.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 37.0 / 63.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 6.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 60

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 302 / 2

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 4
I hope this helps
Nighto
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nighto,
I'm in the process of trying to get this sorted for you now.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Nighto,
I've been on to BT and had the profile upped. I've changed it our end now sow you'll have a profile of 2500 in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Joanne
Thank you.  I am so grateful to you.
Cheers.
Nighto
Nighto
Dabbler

Hi team!
I hope you don't think I'm a pain but I was wondering if I could further trouble you.  I am not an expert on some of the technical terms etc so you will have to forgive me for my simplicity.
I raised an issue earlier in the week (see below/above).  JoJo had the profile changed on my braodband connection.  Things improved almost immediately.  At first the speed was about 2.3 Mbps.  Then it dropped to about 1.5 Mbps.  On a few occasions since then the speed dropped to about 1.8 Mbps.  What I did was to switch off my router for a couple of seconds and swith it back on as recommended on the help guide.  This seemed to bring the speed up to about 1.8 Mbps.  However, when I tried to connect this morning (06.00) there was no connection at all.  Then it connected for about two minutes but went off again.  I was trying to do a speed test.  I switched off the router again and tried to connect.  There was no connection at all and it was still off when I left home at 06.45.
Am I doing something wrong or is there another technical explanation for the disconnection and speed drops?
I am emailing from work at the moment and will not be home until after 16.00 so I cannot do a line profile check for you from here (or can I)?
Anyway, please accept my apologies for buzzing you and have a really great day!!!
Kind regards
Nighto  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nighto,
I can't check anything while your router is off, and looking at your latest connection logs I'm not sure what's going on. Are you in the test socket, if not I would suggest you do that, leave your router powered up and I can check a bit further for you.
Jojo Smiley
Nighto
Dabbler

Hi JoJo
Sorry for the duplicate posting.  Thank you for your reply.  I am still at work.
However, I can tell you that the router is connected to the test socket and through the filter PlusNet supplied.  I thought I had left my router switched on.  Anyway, I will update you when I get home.
The router is literally about 40 centimetres away from the socket.
Thanks again for your intervention.
Regards
Nighto
Nighto
Dabbler

Hi Team
I am sorry I did not get back to you yesterday but the connection was too slow.  What I did was to phone the help line.
Yesterday there were lots of disconnections according to the person to whom I spoke (sorry, I can't recall his name).  Also, when I got home my wife said she had experienced some very bad interference during a phone call.  I passed this on to the technician.  He asked me to run some tests.
First we tried the phone.  We had a dial tone, there was not 'crackling' but some low hissing.  I was then asked to try a corded phone straight into the test socket - same low hissing.  The technician asked me to change the filter although the filter I was using was brand new (one of two sent with my router by PlusNet last Saturday); I changed the filter.  He then said to leave the router switched on (which I always do) and we would monitor the situation over a couple of days.  The techie asked me if PlusNet supplied my phone line too.  PlusNet does.
The techie indicated that there may be a problem on the BT line.
We couldn't try a different router as my old netgear one will not boot up because access is denied for some reason.  It would not reset to factory settings either.
I hope this helps.
Nighto
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Nighto,
I see that an engineer has been booked for tomorrow. Let me know how it goes, and if he fixes the fault I can have a look at remedying the effects it has had on your broadband,
Jojo Smiley