Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet, new to fibre..

psprog
Dabbler

New to Plusnet, new to fibre..

Hi
Finally got connected to Plusnet Fibre Unlimited today. I was previously with Sky LLU (syncing at 19999bps) and fancied some more speed as I've been stuck at the 15-20Mbps range for about 8 years.
Engineer turned up, did his thing and showed me the results of the test on his phone. No line errors, 80/20. Excellent, as the Huawei cab is about 80m from my flat. I asked him how many connections there were and he said 87, so hopefully there's not much crosstalk at the moment, but I'm aware it can suddenly manifest itself once the cab reaches a tipping point.
What sort of speeds should I expect? The Plusnet site estimates 67Mbps, says the actual speed is 78Mbps.
However, none of the speed tests have remotely approached this. I tend to get something in the 40s and 50s. This is also the case with real-world multi-gig downloads on http port 80 and a dozen concurrent connections via a download manager.
Just curious if what I'm seeing is below what I ought to for a sync of 78Meg, ie there's contention/congestion etc.
Cheers!
NB I'm using gigabit Homeplugs, but tried a couple of speedtests with a wired connection with similar results..
7 REPLIES 7
mikehiow
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet, new to fibre..

Assuming your Plusnet profile says 78mbps and http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ says your profile 77.44 (which is should in theory if Plusnet is at 78) then you should be getting 71-73mbps on speedtests.
If the BT Speedtest is lower than that, you may need to report back here or raise a ticket to get your Plusnet profile speed updated.
psprog
Dabbler

I can't seem coax that info from the BTWholesale speed test.
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
It's done this every time I've run it when clicking on the "Further Diagnostics" button. Maybe their database takes a while to update or something, as I've only been connected for just over 24 hours.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's likely because the line profile hasn't been set as yet, though it shouldn't be much longer. It can take a couple of days for new fibre lines to settle in and for the DLM to assign a profile.
psprog
Dabbler

Ok cool.
I'm away up north for a few days tomorrow so hopefully it'll have settled down by the time I return 😉
I've had 'fun' trying to setup my old Sky router as a wireless extender. It works perfectly with 2 Android tablets and another Windows 7 PC, just not with the Windows 7 netbook I intend to use (pings fail to the gateway IP of 192.168.1.254 - very strange. Always a fiddly faff this networking stuff!).
<edit> Just received my first voice call and it was incredibly crackly. Never had that before in my 7 years here (with 3 other telephone/broadband providers). Could be a one-off but I guess I'll find out when I receive further calls (usually PPI spam, but on this occasion they're going to be useful!)
thomasjc1
Grafter

You could do a quiet line test dial 17070 option 2
psprog
Dabbler

Thanks for that - just tried it but got a message saying it was unavailable and to press 5 for a chargeable ringback.
As my line is still with Sky LLU for another week or so I'll probably leave it until I've been fully migrated over...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, that'd be what's doing it. As far as I know the 17070 is a BT only tool.