cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet, but no Net

scriptn
Dabbler

Re: New to Plusnet, but no Net

It's been a while- been giving tech support a chance to drum things out, from the sound of things multiple faults have been detected and fixed (sounded like the was a jumper issue at the exchange, then an SSB issue), but my issue remains the same, the modem just sit's there, happily in sync, but blocked from going further, even with test accounts.
However, BT seemed convinced there's a problem at my end, to the point that they want to send out an engineer. I don't see how there could be any problems at this end, though, due to the fact that I'm syncing consistently and strongly, as well as passing everything up to, but not including, the PPP tests. I've done all the tests suggested, connecting directly into the test socket, no other devices, using the test logins, different modems and cable. There's also the fact that the interleave removal order still hasn't seemed to have gone through- what happened there?
To frustrate things even further, I'm not available during the daytime for 3 weeks, and hence the engineer will not be visiting until 25th - 27th of August (this being so far ahead, they cannot even book it currently). It's been a month since my line was activated, 2 weeks disappeared to BT sorting out the problem of there being no BT line. another 2 to no resolution of this problem, with 3 waiting for an engineer to look at things and, if there's no problems here, an unknown amount of time to actually fix the problem. I'm looking at at least 2 months of paying for an hour's worth of connection on some random Thursday, which is enough to make anyone upset.
The least Plusnet can do is persue other potential areas of fault in the meantime, rather than laying around for 3 weeks with everyone sitting on their hands. If it really costs BT so much to send out engineers, I'd love to save them that money. It seems like all the problems so far have been with BT, so I'm sure it would not surprise many if they still are dropping the ball on this one.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just a daft thought, have you remembered to change your router login back to your plusnet login after using the bt test domain?
scriptn
Dabbler

I leave the router with the bt test details in most of the time, the thinking being, if it were to suddenly work, the internet light would come on and then I could worry about whether it'll authenticate with plusnet and give me actual internet access. I occasionally give it a fiddle, try my plusnet login, see if it'll be happy any of the PPPoA/PPPoE VC-Mux/LLC combinations, do the same brute force attempt of all the differnt options with the bt login, then leave it with the bt login and what should be the correct config (PPPoA VC-Mux) until I next mess around with it. Occasionally give the other modem a try, too, and for the moment, using the test socket at all times just in case it'll make a difference.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly what the 'LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests' log entries mean? I did a little reaseach, from what I understand LCP is the Link Control Protocol which manages the whole PPP link, and the config request is part of the initial handshake, which is timing out because the other end isn't sending the config ack. I'm assuming the other end is the RAS, which would explain why the test login isn't working, because it's not even connecting to the RAS., but I'm not sure what the implication is that the ATM tests are passing- surely if there was an issue between the ATM cloud and the RAS, a lot more users would be affected?
James
Grafter

I can't believe this is still going on and that BT are insisting that it's your hardware or something internal that's causing the problem.
Can I ask a really silly question that I can't remember the answer to?  Did you try using a different modem or router at any stage?  I know it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever, but it will help trying to escalate the problem higher within BT Wholesale, which I'll need to do without getting an engineer going to your house in a few weeks time.
Let me know and I'll do whatever I can to push this forwards.
paulby
Grafter

@Jameseh
He's tried another modem!!!  From the post immediately above yours:
Occasionally give the other modem a try, too, and for the moment, using the test socket at all times just in case it'll make a difference.

James
Grafter

Sorry, I'm an idiot.
I scrolled through the entire thread and missed that one totally.
scriptn
Dabbler

It's been up for a couple of days now, no change, thought I'd post the resultant accumulated router stats over that period of time just in case anything stands out.
Mode:  G.DMT
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6240  448

SNR Margin (dB): 6.6  19.0
Attenuation (dB): 49.0  28.5
Output Power (dBm): 11.9  19.7

Super Frames: 4529252  4529250
Super Frame Errors: 53774  9
RS Words: 307989166  38498625
RS Correctable Errors: 139008591  16
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 1189674  N/A

HEC Errors: 48040  12
OCD Errors: 2085  5
LCD Errors: 4  2
Total Cells: 1131113871  0
Data Cells: 1626  0
Bit Errors: 0  0

Total ES: 11988  0
Total SES: 2877  0
Total UAS: 32  0
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if I'm reading it right that is a lot of correctable errors in a couple of days
James
Grafter

It's enormous.
Uncorrected is equally huge.
scriptn
Dabbler

I worked it out to about 0.4% uncorrectable errors, and 45% correctable (assuming 1 error per word). I've read that a high correctable count is relatively normal with interleaving on, although I don't know if almost 50% counts as normal..The SNR seems acceptable, so what's causing the errors?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
The word high is relative.  Yours is really really high.
I reckon it's probably an idea to monitor your connection over the weekend and see how it behaves.
scriptn
Dabbler

Smiley Well, might be part of the problem of it not auth'ing then- there isn't much connection to monitor. Got a text asking to ensure the router is on, so hopefully they're doing some testing today. Here are the stats currently; the router hasn't been reset since my last post:
Super Frames: 9100454  9100452 
Super Frame Errors: 60123  21 
RS Words: 618830902  77353842 
RS Correctable Errors: 296473739  58 
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 1301098  N/A 

HEC Errors: 53696  20 
OCD Errors: 2326  6 
LCD Errors: 4  2 
Total Cells: 2274597419  0 
Data Cells: 1837  0 
Bit Errors: 0  0 

Total ES: 13751  0 
Total SES: 2900  0 
Total UAS: 32  0 
Does seem to be consistently high  Sad
puddy
Grafter

Would sending a BTi socket fix the problem or will it not fit a new master socket?
and would it be advisable to cut the orange and white wire?
Puddy
scriptn
Dabbler

Given that the master socket is barely a month old, unless it was installed improperly, I don't see how there's a fault there.
scriptn
Dabbler

BT are remaining stubborn and being difficult in regards to my phoneline, which is to be expected, but it is still stressful. I have no love for BT, a feeling I'm sure many people share. That stress certainly isn't helping my patience with my lack of connectivity issues. I'm not one to sail in and accuse people or companies or cheating their customers, I think it's fair to give people a chance- sometimes very difficult problems do come along.  However, I also feel the facts speak for themselves- for a company proud of their connection faults being resolved, on average, in just over 4 days, 4 weeks (22 working days and counting, 15 in excess of their target of 7) and still no resolution should be of great concern.
I can't think of any company that provides a continous service being at all happy with this kind of situation and would expect significant action to resolve it. I also think it fair to be given an explaination, once the issue is resolved, as to why it took so long to detect and fix the problem(s).