cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet, but no Net

scriptn
Dabbler

New to Plusnet, but no Net

It's been an interesting experience moving home. I've had to ditch my old ISP (good riddance, they cost an arm and a leg), but BT were kind enough to migrate my phone-line, saying there'd be no problems. No problems working out to be nothing but. At first I couldn't get a dial tone, and when I finally got access to the master socket (doesn't help that my housemate is Polish and rarely around) I discover whoever installed the ntl line decided to totally remove the BT line, and what was left of it was hanging down the side of the house, bare wires and all.
After warnings that I'd be charged if this was not the case, and reassurances that I wouldn't be if it was, I managed to get an engineer out who promptly fixed the problem, installing a new master socket direct into my room. Fantastic! All that should be left to do is configure the router and enjoy the 'net. If only life were so simple.
Upon having problems, I resorted to the fault checker on the website. Wonderful thing that, didn't make me feel stupid or anything, yet went through all the no-brainer stuff to make sure all the bases are covered. Walked me through using the BT test login details to test the PPP aspect of things as I'm getting sync fine, but no luck there. So, the fault ticket's in the hands of the support guys, who apparently have had to escalate it to BT; they said something about it not connecting to BT Radius and TAM failing on PPP layer.
So, while I wait, I thought I'd throw the issue out here to see if people have had any similar problems- I've noticed a thread or two that sounds similar, people getting sync but failing at the PPP bit even with the test accounts, but those were with upgrades. It was uggested BT has been misconfiguring things, which given my previous experiences with BT, meets my (lack of) expectations from BT.
34 REPLIES 34
James
Grafter

Re: New to Plusnet, but no Net

Hiya,
This sounds a bit familiar Sad
I take it that you cannot authenticate to the following?
bt_test@startup_domain
bt_test_user@plusdsl.net
If so, it sounds like we need to place something called a modify order, which should hopefully reconfigure your connection at the BT end and make your connection *work*.
scriptn
Dabbler

Yup, those are the two it told me to try and use, neither worked.
James
Grafter

Ok, I don't know if this will work, but I can place a modify order to remove interleaving from your line.
This will hopefully also result in a reconfiguration, thus allowing you to connect in the normal fashion.
scriptn
Dabbler

I've done some reading about interleaving and how the usual reason to turn it off is to reduce latency- good for a gamer like myself: an extra 50ms is always welcome. So that would be two birds with one stone.
Will I have to reconfigure my router, or does it automatically handle such a change?
paulby
Grafter

Your router will handle the change - no need to reconfigure.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Thanks for that.  I've placed the order which should complete tomorrow, and updated your ticket.
Hopefully it should sort everything out.
scriptn
Dabbler

About 5pm today, it just started working out of the blue. I looked at the router set-up and from what I can tell, it seems that interleaving is still on at the moment, so I don't know what has changed to fix it. There isn't any update with the support ticket on the website either to suggest anything was done. No reason to cancel the interleaving, but does still leave a question mark on what was wrong and what fixed it.
Otherwise, I'm quite happy. Getting 4.5Mbps, which is about what I expected given my distance to the exchange, and low pings too. Seems like a solid service, now that I'm getting it. Smiley
Not applicable

Good that its working! You can now spend as much time as you like on here!
James
Grafter

Hi Scriptn,
I'm really glad to see that everything is now working well.  the interleaving should be removed too, so your pings should be even better than they were before.
Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.
scriptn
Dabbler

Appears I spoke too soon- now it doesn't seem to be working again. The usage does seem to have logged on the site, so it wasn't my imagination! Also, interleaving seems to be still on.
Not applicable

That doesn't sound too good.
Hopefully after the weekend the guys at PN will be able to fix it. Sad
James
Grafter

Hiya,
From what I can see, interleaving has been removed from the line and you're getting a pretty decent sync rate for your length of line.
Are you still not able to get connected to the internet?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If the reply isn't positive dare I suggest there's a check to see if you're actually talking about the same line. It's not totally unknown for BT to connect it up wrong.  Roll_eyes
scriptn
Dabbler

The ADSL statistics on my router look like this currently:
Mode: G.DMT 
Type: Interleave 
Line Coding: Trellis On 
...and the router log looks like this after a restart:
Jan 1 00:00:14 user info kernel: br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state 
Jan 1 00:00:14 user crit kernel: ADSL G.992 started 
Jan 1 00:00:14 user crit kernel: ADSL G.992 channel analysis 
Jan 1 00:00:00 daemon notice pppd[405]: pppd 2.4.1 started by admin, uid 0 
Jan 1 00:00:03 user crit kernel: ADSL G.992 message exchange 
Jan 1 00:00:03 user crit kernel: ADSL link up, interleaved, us=448, ds=6560 
Jan 1 00:00:05 daemon notice pppd[405]: PPP: Start to connect ... 
Jan 1 00:00:17 daemon notice pppd[405]: PPP: Start to connect ... 
... with the last two entries repeated ad infinitum. I did recieve a non-wireless router as well, so I've been able to test things using that. Things look like this on that one (I included the full stats after about a minute of synch, as I hadn't with the other one):
Mode:  Autosense 
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis
Downstream  Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6560 448

SNR Margin (dB): 6.1 19.0
Attenuation (dB): 48.0 28.5
Output Power (dBm): 19.8 12.1

Super Frames: 4837 4779
Super Frames Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 328946 40621
RS Correctable Errors: 85 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 1272935 0
Data Cells: 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 12 0
...and a log snippet:
Jan 1 00:00:21 user kernel: ADSL link up, interleaved, us=448, ds=6560
Jan 1 00:00:21 user kernel: ATM Soft SAR: ATM link connected.
Jan 1 00:00:25 daemon pppd[272]: Using interface ppp0_0_38_1
Jan 1 00:00:25 daemon pppd[272]: Connect: ppp_0_0_38_1 <--> 0.0.38
Jan 1 00:00:55 daemon pppd[272]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 00:00:56 daemon pppd[272]: Connection terminated....
Jan 1 00:01:28 daemon pppd[272]: Using interface ppp0_0_38_1
Jan 1 00:01:28 daemon pppd[272]: Connect: ppp_0_0_38_1 <--> 0.0.38
Jan 1 00:01:58 daemon pppd[272]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 00:01:58 daemon pppd[272]: Connection terminated....
...with the last 4 repeating. Both modems are setup to use PPPoA VC-MUX, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, and logging on as bt_test@startup_domain/test, and both have been tested plugged into the test socket inside the BT master socket.
Edit: To clarify, since the brief success on Thursday, still no internet, just sync with no auth.