cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router

MagnumFarce

New router

Hello
Have just signed up with plusnet and need to get a router.
Would anyone have any recommendations for a new router?
Cheeers
5 REPLIES 5
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: New router

Welcome to the forums.
You can get the Thomson one as part of your sign up, the only condition is that if you leave before a year you have to pay for it, after a year its yours for free.
have you any requirements that means it might not be good enough?
MagnumFarce

Hi
Yeah went for the 1 month rolling contract as I didnt want to be tied down for a year in case my connection doesnt improve (am with O2 at the moment and its deadful)
So therefore no router and just decided to buy one. I did see a list as I was registering of routers that people have used successfully but I havent been able to find it since.
Denzil
Grafter

It depends a bit what your line quality is like. If there are problems with your line then a change of ISP won't itself make any difference, but at least you generally get plenty of help to fix things here.
The Thompson 585 that PN supply is generally well regarded, as are Netgear DG834, especially the v4 version, 2Wire 2700HGV (only available second hand via popular auction sites) and Billion Bipac. These last three are good at making the best out of long lines, if you are a long way from the exchange.
MagnumFarce

Yeah thats what I have seen that plusnet really help, and reading O2s forums the service is terrible.
Thanks for the recomendations Denzil, distance to the exchange shouldnt be a problem, small village and am only 0.2 miles to the exchange
Will find out on friday I guess! Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes there are two widely different O2 services, the LLU one has very good reports, but the plain vanilla one is terrible