cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router suggestion?

ochristmas
Dabbler

New router suggestion?

I am on plusnets adsl service and use their standard Thomson modem/router  (585v7?)  Anyway whilst it's fine - the wireless range isn't great and it generally feels a bit basic.  I was wondering what people would recommend as an upgrade.  Less than a £100 would be ideal.  I know people often recommend Billion but they seem too expensive.  I have seen TPLink options (such as w8980) but get caught in an endloos circle of bad reviews!  Any help much appreciated.  Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: New router suggestion?

Are you likely to get fibre in the near future? http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
As few ADSL modem/routers are fibre compatible.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The BT home hub 3 is good, and supports plusnet!  It also has a security to stop hackers accessing your Wireless network.  Meanwhile the Netgear DG834 are okay but make sure you get a wireless N version. These are great for long lines.
If you get A BT hub 3 I would recommend a Type B version rather than Type A. (Different Brands)
Hope this helps
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ochristmas
Dabbler

No - I'm in the middle of nowhere  Cry
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Are you likely to get fibre in the near future? http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
As few ADSL modem/routers are fibre compatible.

Even though if the OP does get fibre, Plusnet will provide a router.
Seeing your recent post you live in the middle of no where I am assuming the Countryside?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
kelvin
Grafter

The latest standard PN router is the technicolor TG582N but I can tell you from experience that it is no great shakes for wireless.
The AUS RT-N66U has been recommended by a number of people on this forum and indeed there is a specific thread dedicated to it.  I have one and can vouch for it's superiority over the standard PN router.  Mine cost £109 from Amazon though. As you are not on fibre it might be a bit of overkill but if you look through the many threads there are on poor wireless performance you will see a number of other routers have been recommended
leight
Grafter

If you're still on ADSL waiting for FTTC like me, definitely consider the Billion 7800n, it's dual wan and IPv6 ready.
Mine has served me well for two years already and I wont have to upgrade for a long time.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Kelvin -
The OP has a 585v7 not a T582n.
Just correcting.
Leight - Its unlikely that the OP will be getting fibre soon as he lives 'in the middle of no where'.
ochristmas - Can you tell us on which exchange you are on - You can find out here
Thanks
ochristmas
Dabbler

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.  My exchange is Birtsmorton.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

No problem, and thanks for exchange info. I will get whizzing!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Looks like your exchange can't handle 24mbits  Embarrassed
So you won't be getting fibre anytime soon until 21CN enabled.
You can blab to openreach through the link posted by AndyH and get neighbours to do this as well. It may convince openreach to enable 21CN or get fibre even (Can take years)
I have posted a brief of exchange info from samknows via a screenshot, if too small a link is here
ochristmas
Dabbler

Yup - all a bit miserable on the speed and upgrade front  - ho hum - we've got some great sheep at least Wink  Thanks for your help.