cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router problems. Connection keeps dropping.

Vectisian
Hooked

New router problems. Connection keeps dropping.

I am awaiting an upgrade from standard broadband to fibre. Ahead of the promised (yet mysteriously still delayed) fibre broadband I installed the new router which I was assured would work for standard broadband as well as fibre.

However, my previously slow but reliable connection has slowed yet further (from 0.8mb to 0.25mb) and now frequently drops completely for hours on end.

Could this be a problem with the new router? Is this one of those unavoidable things one must endure until the fibre connection finally arrives?

Any help or advice would be welcomed.
5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New router problems. Connection keeps dropping.

Thanks for getting in touch @Vectisian 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems with your new router and your fibre order is delayed.

I've firstly checked your fibre order and I can see we requested the upgrade date of 11/09/19 however this was delayed to 17/09/2019 due to engineer availability in your area. If all goes well on the day I'd expect the engineer to carry out the engineering work at the cabinet(The green box in the road) and your fibre service to activate by the evening.

Moving on to your connection issues as you've said that your standard broadband connection was stable albeit slow with your previous router but not with your new router, I've arranged to send you a replacement now which you should receive within the next few days. 

If you continue to experience problems it may be worth waiting for your fibre service to go live and see if that fixes the problem. If once your fibre service has activated you're still getting drops and/or slow speeds, I'd then recommend running through the troubleshooting steps Here reporting a fault to us online Here for further investigation.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Vectisian
Hooked

Many thanks for your swift response, Gandalf. I appreciate the delivery of a new router. I shall certainly give your suggestions a try.

However, the difficulty I have is one of timing. The new date for the switch is the evening of 17 September. The 14 day cooling-off period would be expiring at exactly the time the switch is to occur (and who is to say this promised date will be kept?).

I must therefore commit to an 18 month contract ahead of knowing whether the service is not only delivered but is satisfactory.

Do I stick or do I twist? Life is never dull, is it! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to me @Vectisian 

While it's your decision to be honest given your very poor standard broadband speeds, I'd personally stick with fibre regardless. If you experience connection or speed problems, I'm sure we'd be able to work to resolve them for you.

For example, if your fibre connection drops out and/or doesn't work up to your minimum guaranteed speed as we'd expect when using a wired connection (Ruling out WiFi as an issue) we can raise this with our suppliers to investigate further.

If after engineering attempts and ample time (Around 30 days) we're unable to provide you with a relatively stable fibre connection of at least your minimum guaranteed speed on a wired connection, we'd allow you to leave your contract term without any penalty. 

If the issues you're experiencing (And they don't look that way) are solely related with the WiFi signal around your home, the steps Here and Here should be able to help you improve the wireless signal.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Vectisian
Hooked

I have good news to report. The replacement router arrived promptly and the speed improved from 0.05 to the usual 0.8. A couple of days later, on 17th, the switch to fibre broadband took place and I am now experiencing speeds of around 24.5. Delighted to have a speed which now permits me to see films and video clips.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Vectisian,

I'm glad to hear the router's arrived and everything's running smoothly! Smiley Please let us know if there's any issues in the future and we'll be more than happy to take a look into it with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team