Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router installation problems

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

New router installation problems

I'm having problems installing a new router onto an existing home network.
Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+modem router DGN2200v3
Windows 7 complains it cannot find drivers, however there was no disc supplied with the router, so I assumed that drivers are built-in on connection. Initial install is attempted via ethernet cable.
All LED's on the new router show green except the "internet" LED which shows red.
Re-connecting the older router Netgear DG834G returns internet connections to normal.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New router installation problems

you shouldn't need drivers? just use the web interface to configure the router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
petlew
Pro

Thanks dvorak, thereby hangs the problem, I cannot get a web page to open with the new router. Do you mean open router pages with the old router and then switch routers?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try http://192.168.0.1/ or from the manual http://www.routerlogin.net which works on my Netgear - username and password admin
frank39
Grafter

I don't think you need the http bit. Just enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser address - at least, that what I need to do.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Petlew
All LED's on the new router show green except the "internet" LED which shows red.

Well it would do if you have not been able to access your router to tell it your user name and password.
Open up a command prompt, type IPConfig and press enter.  Whatever is listed under Gateway should be the IP address of your router.  With Netgear it always used to be 192.168.0.1 but I came across one that used 192.168.1.1 (out of the box) a few months ago.  Enter the Gateway IP address into your web browser.  The default credentials for Netgear are:
User name: admin
Password: password
Also, if Windows tells you it can't find drivers you have done something badly wrong.  You don't need drivers and Windows should not be looking for any.
petlew
Pro

Thank you gents, I haven't been ignoring you, I had to go out and earn a crust...
I shall be starting again shortly, my first action will be to press the routers reset to factory button.
I'll report back later on. For the moment I need a working system now.
Anybody know what the USB connector is for on the router, its not mentioned in the set up guide?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

usually for plugging in a network printer
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Anybody know what the USB connector is for on the router, its not mentioned in the set up guide?

I can take an educated guess, but for the moment it is for leaving well alone until you get your internet connection and network back up and running.
frank39
Grafter

I agree with the previous post but, after  you get it set up, you can always RTFM here:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200V3/DGN2200v3_UM_1Aug12.pdf
You will find that the USB port is for attaching a hard drive to simulate network attached storage.
PS. When you are using the router setup page, be sure to have your browser popup blocker disabled.  Netgear, for some of their devices, use popups for some of the setup sub menus.  They don't bother to tell the user about this - I returned one router as defective before I found out.
petlew
Pro

Well the reset router gave little trouble to set up for the two Wi-Fi laptops, The ethernet cable connected (non-Wi-Fi) desktop proved to be more troublesome but is working now after a restart, however for some reason there is no internet icon in the taskbar.
My thanks to those who responded.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Glad you got it sorted..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The ethernet cable connected (non-Wi-Fi) desktop proved to be more troublesome but is working now after a restart, however for some reason there is no internet icon in the taskbar.

If the computer runs XP then the icon disappears by default when you are connected.
petlew
Pro

Thanks ReedRichards, I have reinstalled the icon.
Everything was fine until I tried to print to my Wi-Fi printer (Canon MP560) from the Wi-Wi laptops, printing failed. But can find no option to change the router settings (password etc) for the printer.
The printers Wi-Fi service light is on, so it is obviously being seen by the router, but I need to reset the network name and password for the printer, but I cannot find this option in the printer's options nor is it covered in the manual (that I can see) It presumably still retains the settings for the old router.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro