cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router (hub one) installed and resulted in broadband speed nose dive.

FIXED
PigeonPete
Dabbler

New router (hub one) installed and resulted in broadband speed nose dive.

Trying to go from standard broadband to fibre. 

Speeds are woeful in our area.  Our best speeds have been about 1.8mbs.  Neighbours get a top speed of 12mbs on fibre.  Which is still lower than many people's standard ADSL speed. 

Anyway that's about as good as it gets here.

Just got sent a new router (hub one) in preparation for an upcoming fibre upgrade (not happened yet).  But after the initial auto-setup, speeds are pitiful.  I now get way under 0.5 mbs, with a direct cable connection.  I switched back to my old router, and that is just the same now.

I'm just kicking myself I didn't do a speed test before.  Yesterday I can't remember struggling with our web connection.  Now it's so slow, we can't even use Facebook easily.  Using our web connection for pretty much anything including the forum here is a trial.

I wonder if the new router or auto setup, has reset our line or something?

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: New router (hub one) installed and resulted in broadband speed nose dive.

What are your estimated speeds?

http://dslchecker.bt.com/

and what do you have now? (troubleshooting->helpdesk tab)

http://192.168.1.254/

obscure any personal info

PigeonPete
Dabbler

Hub one - troubleshooting - helpdeskHub one - troubleshooting - helpdeskdslhecker.bt.com result for our numberdslhecker.bt.com result for our number

Here are some read outs, previous response appeared to vapourise.

Note recently I've been checking our speed alongside other neighbours.   So know it's been closer to 2mbs. 

On first connecting up the hub one no joy, until an adsl filter was swapped.  Then it auto-configured.  Both routers (old and new) now report same speeds.  Fibre switch is upcoming, there should be no change to our current broadband service as far as I can tell.

PigeonPete
Dabbler

Speed test download: 0.361mbs.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/22674265

PigeonPete
Dabbler

Plusnethelp on Twitter took over two days to even respond.  Sat in their live chat queuing system for too long yesterday, and finally got through to Plusnet by phone today.

I was told initially that I shouldn't have swapped modem/routers until my fibre switch over date.  And that was about the best explanation that I got.  After Plusnet ran some tests on my line they told me our account was 'reset' and that would sort out our speed issues.   And now our broadband speed is back up to about its usual pitiful speed of 1.78mb/s: 

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/22725438

So we pretty much lost a weekend and half a day of using the Internet.  There were no warnings on the Hub one or any instructions to that effect.  All I can deduce is the setup@plusdsl.net auto-setup somehow tripped our existing service.

Oh and despite my issue being resolved in the end, I felt almost like I was to blame, I didn't feel like I got an adequate explanation of what had gone wrong, and didn't so much as get a: "I'm really sorry to hear that... don't worry we'll sort this out..." blab.  Waiting in a queue doesn't help either in terms of mood.  How about submit  a help ticket, and Plusnet rings you back?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Post released from Spam Filter and near duplicate removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear about the experience you had.

I don't think the routers setup caused this but when routers disconnect/reconnect at certain times this can result in slightly higher or lower speeds depending on the time of the day and if there's any noise on the line.

In your case because the speeds aren't great at the moment the change was alot more significant. Let us know how you get on when you swap to fibre.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PigeonPete
Dabbler

I never noticed the connection swing so badly.  Previously after the router swap we were stuck around the 300mb/s mark for a couple of days until I had a conversation with Plusnet, 10 minutes after speed increased dramatically.

I thought things were back to normal, but yesterday evening very poor speeds again.

Last night:

0.4 mb/s

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/22906297

This morning.

1.61 mb/s

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/22931386

Also the Hub One appears to be restarting at least once a day.  Is that normal?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Apologies for the delayed response on here

It looks like your connection is more stable over the past 2 days

And your router is in sync at 10mbps.

How do your speeds look now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet