cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router advice

AndrewTh

New router advice

Hello all
      I have had broadband (with Plusnet) now for just over two years after being too far from the exchange for a long while.  After a few false starts with BT I finally was told I could get broadband at the blistering speed of 0.25meg. So still expecting it to fall through I bought a cheap cable only router (a sitecom DC-224) and after settling in the speed worked out at a heady 1.15meg. Not much I know but its a lot for me.
          A while later I decided to update to a wireless syetm so I bought a Netgear DGN1000 router but this, even after being on for over two weeks, only provided a speed of 0.35meg. so I went back to the old faithfull sitecom unit and my speed went back up to 1.15meg.
I now want to try again to get wireless,and have been looking at some of the Belkin units.
Does anyone out there have any experience with routers a long way from the exchange, are some models / manufacturers more sensitive than others?
Any ideas
Thanks
Andrew
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New router advice

AndrewTh

Yes it is, life got busy and I did not follow things up back then
between1and16ch
Grafter

If you still have the Netgear lying around I see no reason why you couldn't just use that. Connect to it from your pc and go to 'LAN setup' in the 'advanced' category on the left. Untick the box marked 'Use Router as DHCP Server' and change the LAN TCP/IP Setup/IP Address to something which won't conflict, like 192.168.1.253 (assuming that your Sitecom is set to use addresses in the 192.168.1.x range - if not choose an address that does fit). Then you should be able to plug the netgear into the the Sitecom with a standard RJ45 to RJ45 Cat5 patch lead and use it as a wireless access point.
AndrewTh

Yes I thought of using the Netgear purely as an access point but I would like to tidy up the setup and have only one box. Plus I would then keep the sturdy sitecom as an emergency backup in case all else fails.
between1and16ch
Grafter

I've just been searching for the modem chipset that the sitecom DC-224 uses, and haven't found anything, unfortunately. But my idea had been that if you can identify what it's using (it's unlikely not to be a cheap off-the-shelf set of electronics, then finding another wireless modem router  that uses the same modem chipset will probably be your best bet.
grudkin
Grafter

Have you considered getting the TG582n from plusnet?
The TG582n is reportedly based on the broadcom BCM6358 chipset.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You also might try a BT Homehub via Ebay as they are supposed to be very good on long lines