cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router - New lower IP Profile

gazdutton
Dabbler

New router - New lower IP Profile

Changed my router to an Asus from the TG582N.  Had a bit trouble initially setting up the Asus.  Managed to get it setup but now I am on an IP profile of around 7meg.  This is probably because of the trouble I had setting up my new router.  Will my IP profile go back up to normal after a few days or will it have to be changed by PN?
Regards
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New router - New lower IP Profile

When you say the IP profile - do you mean the Plusnet one or the one from the BT speed test
Can you post the stats from your new router - noise margins, speed and attenuation
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi gazdutton,
Your profile should automatically increase for you. We will get a report from BT Wholesale which will filter onto your account. At this point, if all goes to plan, we'll drop your connection and when the connection is re-made you will have the new throughput speeds.
If you have any problems, or you find this isn't happening, let us know and we can make changes manually.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
gazdutton
Dabbler

I thought that's what would happen.  Thanks for confirming it.  I will keep an eye on it.
@oldjim here are the stats from when I got the router up an running.  I am sure my noise margin has changed today to 6db down and 7db up.  This is probably BT's doing I think.
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.4.11.25_A_TC3095 HwVer:T14.F7_0.0
DSL Link Status up
DSL Uptime 0 days 0 hours 6 minutes 41 seconds
DSL Modulation ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
SNR Down 3.0 dB
SNR Up 6.0 dB
Line Attenuation Down 11.0 dB
Line Attenuation Up 7.5 dB
Data Rate Down 8800 kbps
Data Rate Up 1024 kbps
MAX Rate Down 9120 kbps
MAX Rate Up 1128 kbps
POWER Down 16.0 dbm
POWER Up 12.5 dbm
CRC Down 0
CRC Up 0

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The problem seems to be the asus is using ADSL1 (G.992.1). It should be using ADSL2+ (G.992.5).
gazdutton
Dabbler

It doesn't get a solid DSL connection doing this, I was emailing  Asus support all yesterday and changing that setting was the only way I managed to connect.  Could be a bug in the firmware.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well ADSL1 is going to be limited to less than 12Mb while ADSL2+ should be getting over 20Mb.
Basically the DSL-N66U and DSL-AC68U seem to suffer from poor quality DSL chipsets / firmware (made by TrendChip - which is now a part of MediaTek). As an alternative, you could use the 582n as a modem in bridge mode and just use the asus as a wireless router. Or use the 582n as a router and just use the asus as a wireless access point.
gazdutton
Dabbler

I will update my ticket with Asus with this information.  Seems pointless buying an ADSL2+ compatible router and it not being able to connect to my ADSL2+ service  Undecided  Saying that I bought this router as with the TG582N i was experiencing terrible lag playing games over PSN, and in this respect the Asus router has stopped it.