cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New networking equipment (fttc) - recommendations?

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New networking equipment (fttc) - recommendations?

Thanks for reply.
Would be nice to see real world download speeds of 6mB per second.  Right now I get blips up to maybe 2mB per second over the homeplugs.
Yes, w23 I am guilty of not minding my Ms and Bs.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: w23
Just to be pedantic (and for clarity), that would be 5.7mB per sec (=45.6mb/s - 'B' for Bytes, 'b' for bits).

Oops!  Embarrassed  Just spotted, should be 'M' for Mega, not 'm'. So much for being pedantic.  Roll_eyes
Well, I never said I was perfect (I leave that to others!).  Lips_are_sealed
@ vultura, ignoring the homeplug issue for now, have you tried disconnecting the router (via web interface) then powering off the modem and leaving it off for, say, an hour (minimum!) then power the modem followed by a reconnect at the router?  The theory here is to ensure (absolutely) that all PPP sessions are 100% closed before reconnecting (and allowing the DSL to start 'clean').  Are you still looking for a better router?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vultura
Rising Star

Just to be pedantic (and for clarity), that would be 5.7mB per sec (=45.6mb/s - 'B' for Bytes, 'b' for bits).

Oops!  Embarrassed  Just spotted, should be 'M' for Mega, not 'm'.
Well, I never said I was perfect (I leave that to others!).  Lips_are_sealed
@ vultura, ignoring the homeplug issue for now, have you tried disconnecting the router (via web interface) then powering off the modem and leaving it off for, say, an hour (minimum!) then power the modem followed by a reconnect at the router?  The theory here is to ensure (absolutely) that all PPP sessions are 100% closed before reconnecting (and allowing the DSL to start 'clean').  Are you still looking for a better router?

Hehe, mistakes happen.  I did think it looked a bit strange written a mB.
No, I haven't tried that, never heard of doing it like that before. 
Yes, I am still looking for a Gigabit router.  There are a couple of reports of PPPOE issues with the Asus ones, so not sure if they are the best option for me.
cagiva

Well i have just ordered this  ASUS RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N600 Gigabit router to see if it helps with wireless signal from looking on the net it get's good reviews
will have to see. 
hymermanbill
Grafter

AS one pedant to another you would be correct that I meant 5.7MB/sec or a download speed of 46Mb/sec  However my main point was in the cost of the two dynamode AV500 homeplugs for £30 or so from broadband buyer.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: hymermanbill
my main point was in the cost of the two dynamode AV500 homeplugs for £30 or so from broadband buyer.

They do seem a good price, however they do not seem to have an Gigabit port so throughput may be limited by that.  Cannot even find them listed on the Dynamode website site, though that does not surprise me.
hymermanbill
Grafter

I was not aware that any AV500 homeplugs had the capability to support a gigabit port. AS I understand it they are capable of transferring data at speeds of up to 500Mbps and this is what the dynamode AV500 homeplugs do.
Dick:quote
vultura
Rising Star

mcrossley
Grafter

As the standard network port negotiation speeds are 10/100/1000 Mbps, a 500 Mbps powerline adapter would have to have a gigabit port to support full speed throughput.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: mcrossley
network port negotiation speeds are 10/100/1000 Mbps, a 500 Mbps powerline adapter would have to have a gigabit port.

Thats what I thought.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Mine and vultura's experience shows that 200 powerline seems capable of shifting data no faster than 20Mbps.  Hymermanbill's 500's seem to be achieving the same throughput as his/her connection of 46Mbps.  However that does look suspiciously like just over double the speed achievable with the 200, which leads me to suspect that if I were to try a pair of 500s on my connection (approx 67Mbps through the router) that I wouldn't see much more than 50Mbps.
It seems the only powerline adapters faster than an 80/20 fibre connection are likely to be 1Gb.

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: lorisarvendu
Mine and vultura's experience shows that 200 powerline seems capable of shifting data no faster than 20Mbps.  Hymermanbill's 500's seem to be achieving the same throughput as his/her connection of 46Mbps.
It seems the only powerline adapters faster than an 80/20 fibre connection are likely to be 1Gb.

Dave have you seen the results of my recent tests from my slow speed thread? - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108726.msg931761.html#msg931761
Not many of the 1Gb units around either it seems, have found Belkin and the ones from Solwise.
vultura
Rising Star

Sorry, been busy with other things.
I now have a Zyxel Gigabit capable router and four of the Trendnet 500Mb homeplugs.
Initially I installed the router in the same location as the TG582n and the homeplugs in the same mains sockets.  
Speed test results I don't have record of, but they haven't been great.
Since then I have been trying different mains sockets to increase the homeplug sync rates and trying to work out of one or more filtered mains blocks (see my other recent thread) would improve matters.
At the weekend I was thinking about ordering a Gigabit switch to replace the existing 10/100 in the lounge.  Then I had a moment of clarity, could I move the router or the OR modem even.  I worked out that I could maybe run a cable alongside the skirting, then pass it over the door threshold and along towards the switch.  Initially I thought the modem cable would be more flexible, but my shielded ADSL cable was only 3 metres long.  I looked at the 10metre CAT5e I had been using to test with and concluded it might be ok.   A while later I had CAT5e running from OR modem in the hall to the Zyxel router now in the lounge.  Have moved the Zyxel NAS to same location and the 10/100 switch now just feeds the TV, Blu Ray player and other NAS.
Just two homeplugs currently in use, one in the lounge connected to router and one upstairs to Atom net top.
One thing I have noticed since making the changes is that the sync speed on the lounge homeplug has dropped.