cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New modem speed woes.

stevegal
Grafter

New modem speed woes.

The router provided by plusnet gave up the ghost last week. I bought a linksys wag120N to replace it and since then I'm had *slow* connection speeds. The dsl syncs at 1400kps and my BTProfile has dropped to 1000kbps (tested via speednet.bt.com).
My router is plugged straight into the master socket in the house and the only change in my configuration is the router. In my attempts to diagnose I've replace the adsl filter in the hope it was that, but nothing.
Help! At this speed I can't really work from home (or watch bbc iplayer :D)
25 REPLIES 25
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New modem speed woes.

Hi stevegal,
What speeds did you get from your Thomson? I was getting 20004k with my Thomson and when I moved to a netgear I got 3-4000k less.
Jojo Smiley
stevegal
Grafter

I was geting 2100kbps with the thomson (and about the same with a netgear router I also had)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI stevegal,
Looks like it could be the router then. I can send you a new Thomson. Initial £4.99 P&P charge but nothing up front for the router (£40 if you leave within 12 months)
Jojo Smiley
stevegal
Grafter

Thanks for the offer. I'd like to get to the bottom of this before I change the router though as I really wanted a 'n' rated router for use in the house. When I get home tonight I'll have a play with the bt main socket and the other routers I have (all of which have broken wireless networks) and report back the results here as the sync speed was okay before I had problems with the original router, but I've not checked since.
I'd be disappointed if it is the router though.. £60 wasted Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI stevegal,
I know what you mean about the £60. I changed my Thomson for a wireless N netgear and was disappointed with the sync speed, but losing 3000k off my 20000k wasn't as noticeable as it would be for you.
Jojo Smiley
stevegal
Grafter

just got home and upgraded my firmware to the latest 1.00.16 from the linksys support site.
Mixed news... the good news is that with this version of the firmware I can get the dsl stats...
but my speed has dropped further... even with the wireless turned off.
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  3.4.4.10.0.1
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          Up
DSL Mode:            G.dmt
DSL Channel:        0
DSL Upstream Rate:  448 kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 1344 kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    200 dB      127 dB
DSL Attenuation:      315 dB      602 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  -901 dBm    -901 dBm
anyone spot anything obviously wrong with that?
stevegal
Grafter

apart from the really high attentuation. What could be causing that?
stevegal
Grafter

connected directly to the test socket as described
got the following info
DSL Driver Version:  3.4.4.10.0.1
DSL VPI/VCI:         0/38
DSL Status:          Up
DSL Mode:            G.dmt
DSL Channel:         0
DSL Upstream Rate:   448 kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 1440 kbps
                     Down         up    
DSL Noise Margin:     200 dB       132 dB
DSL Attenuation:      315 dB       602 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  -901 dBm     -901 dBm
so not great. Swapped out the linksys and reinstalled the thomson (with the broken wireless) and it is not much better...  448 / 1,760
so help!!!
Oh yeah, and this is without *only* the router attached to the bt line
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

apart from the really high attentuation. What could be causing that?

A missing decimal point I would guess. Smiley
I would suggest it's really meant to be  DSL Attenuation:      31.5 dB      60.2 dB

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevegal
Grafter

it could be, but thats what the router firmware is reporting! (althought isn't the max supposed to be about 63db hence 600 would be mad!) so lets assume all those numbers are x10...
stevegal
Grafter

just been onto linksys technical support. They have had me reduce the MTU setting to 1000 from 1492. Will see if that makes any difference (doubt it though Sad )
stevegal
Grafter

anyone technical that can suggest anything? I've added the detail onto my open questions in member area, but I've had no response (which is unusual as plusnet ordinarily has given me superb customer service). I think I've even raise a fault request, but again that has seemingly disappeared down a black hole.
Help. 1 meg broadband is rubbish Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stevegal,
1760k from 1440k may not seem a lot but it is over 22%. Bearing in mind your attenuation is 60dB, your SNR is 13dB then 1760k would be about right for your line. In order to change this we'd need to think about why the SNR is 13dB; it could be that this is because the line is quite long.. Are you in the test socket at the moment? If you are, then I could possibly try resetting the SNR to 6dB and see what happens,but couldn't guarantee it not rising again.
Jojo Smiley
stevegal
Grafter

thanks for the replay. Give it a try. I'm not currently at home at the moment, but will check what the figures are tonight when I get home with both the sick thomson box and the linksys box with the rubbish driver connected directly to the test socket. I'll report the results in here.
Thanks again. I think I speak for most on this forum in that we *really* appreciate all the help you provide in this forum. It makes me feel confident that I can recommend you to others.