cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New line profile

jwsg
Rising Star

New line profile

Is it possible that my new phone line and broadband connection were provisioned on ADSL1 ?
The router reports
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8.128

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,5 / 25,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,0 / 16,9
I thought 992.5 is ADSL2+ and those stats suggest to me I should be capable of a much better speed
10 REPLIES 10
Pedro
Grafter

Re: New line profile

Yes, g.992.5 is adsl2+ and yes your stats are capable of better speed.
A good place to start is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search. ; You find out what's available at your exchange there.
If I'm not mistaken you're looking for "21CN WBC status: enabled" in the BT Wholesale information section, for adsl2+
jwsg
Rising Star

My exchange is 21CN (and FTTC for that matter) -
I'm new to PlusNet but not ADSL (I've been on ADSL2+ for years before) . I can see that sometimes when someone's connection is not set up correctly a forum Mod steps in and helps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the Forum Mods are just customers like yourself and can't help
As you have been provisioned on the wrong product I suggest phoning in or raising a ticket.
Alternatively wait until Monday when it should be picked up by a member of staff and sorted
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It could be that the ADSL setting is an option in the router, and just needs changing - we don't know which router the OP is using.
jwsg
Rising Star

The default TG582n just to get things running before I switch to my own modem
It's a new line so all the speed estimation on purchase was completely thrown - the default seems to be ADSL1
One of the many automated "questions" I got was
    Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
    Install diary status changed from Realm configured to Awaiting submission to the DSL supplier
    Automatically set supplier product to WBC MAX8 mb/s (ADSL1 Annex A) Standard Stability, Auto Interleaving, 448kbit/s Upstream
and unlike some other posts I've seen no auto upgrade to ADSL2+
I raised a ticket but they just said because the exchange is 21CN that's what I would get - but, surprise surprise, I think I got just what they ordered
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Load of rubbish - best thing is to wait for it to be picked up on Monday and let the team here kick a few backsides
jwsg
Rising Star

Well, after phoning support yesterday and them calling back several hours later I was told that a "speed increase" had been actioned and things would improve in 24 hrs.
24 hrs later no change so another call today. As I suspected a full modify (to 21CN) was needed which takes a few days. This is what should have happened back when I raised the original ticket querying why I was being provisioned on ADSL1 (if your postcode is unknown the speed estimate is 0 or 1 or 2 Mb/s i.e. < 6Mb/s ---> ADSL1 provision).
Anyone else in the same boat not aware and not willing to spend ages doing all this chasing would be stuck on a slow connection (and I suspect many people are).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I can see there is a modify order in place to move your services over to ADSL2+ which is due to complete tomorrow. Once this has gone you should then notice a difference in your sync speed.
Let us know how it goes.
jwsg
Rising Star

Thanks for checking
Upon upgrade to ADSL2+ the line sync'd at over 16M at 6dB margin and is now trying 18M at 3dB (28dB attn) so a good result really  Smiley
The upload is still capped at 448K though
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

An order has been placed to uncap your upload, this will complete tomorrow for you.