cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install, will it be automatically upgraded?

Coopster1974

New install, will it be automatically upgraded?

Hi. I have an order in the system which should be completed mid July. When I signed up I was given max speed of 5mb. When I've checked on the openreach website it says my local cabinet is set up for FTTC bus is currently oversubscribed.
A couple of questions. How long does it take for cabinets to be upgraded to deal with the demand? Also, once it is will Plusnet automatically increase my speed?

Cheers
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New install, will it be automatically upgraded?

Welcome to the forum.

Presumably you have agreed to take the standard ADSL broadband option. This will not be upgraded automatically, you will need to go through the process of contacting Plusnet and negotiating a new contract. Neither will Plusne advise you when FTTC capacity becomes available, you need to keep checking yourself. When it will be updated is up to BT and you are unlikely to get a definitive answer. Sorry if this sounds negative but that seems to be the way these things work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

What Exchange / cabinet are you on?

Brian

Coopster1974

Ecclesfield exchange in Sheffield. Cabinet 18
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Coopster1974

The CodeLook website has the following for cabinet P18 on Ecclesfield

FTTC Available from 4th August 2012, being expanded by August 2017, some with 18/2M product  

The 18/2 product indicates there are some long lines connected to this cabinet. More important is the "being expanded" statement - if the work had been completed it would say "expanded"

Note that while the CodeLook website can be out of date (it updates its database when it chooses) it has the following for cab P60 - expanded 31st May 2018. So it appears reasonably up to date.

Brian

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

During BT's April sale I looked into getting fibre, and the checker said it was available, then about a week later it said ADSL available with fibre coming soon or something to that effect.  Another week and fibre was available again.  I took this to mean that the April advertising campaign had been very successful and they had to increase capacity.  If this was the case, I suppose it depends how many people are 'on the waiting list', i.e. they won't lay more fibre lines if you are the only one, but if there are lots of you, it would make sense to 'cash in' on this by making fibre available.