Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - Slow speeds

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New install - Slow speeds

Hi xreyuk,
I've just had quick test of the line and can see that the sync speed is as per the attachment below.
Your profile on our side was set at 40mbps so I've updated this to reflect the current sync speed so you should see a slight increase now.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Thanks accasim, I'll see how it goes. It appears interleaving has kicked in on my line again. Here are my TBB ping graphs the past 2 days.

The large packet loss period is when I had my modem off for some electrical work at the house, so the modem has had a resync since Chris said I was synced at 49.9/12. I think the resync turned off interleaving as my ping times reduced back to what they were, but it appears interleaving has kicked in again making my ping times quite poor, despite there being no packet loss. Could you possibly check my line between 10PM and 5AM last night to see why interleaving has kicked in?
The large ping spike last night around 8PM, i'm assuming was because I was doing a lot of downloading at that point. It's just a shame at the moment because this browsing on this FTTC connection, is slower than the ADSL2+ circuit from Sky at my other property nearby. I know there is no interleaving on that line, but other FTTC customers I've compared to seem to have a lot better pings than me.
Thanks again Smiley
Thanks again Smiley
xreyuk
Grafter

Sorry, I also forgot to ask, why does the Plusnet website show different sync speeds to what you guys see?
My speeds still aren't up to where the sync is showing they should be.

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 39.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 7.76 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again xreyuk,
Where are you seeing the different profile speeds?
The image I posted earlier was the result of a BT faults check in order to obtain the current sync speed and DLM profile in play on the line. These will differ from the speed seen in the Member Centre as it can either take time for us to get the correct profile speed sent through and for our system to match them up.
In addition to this, you should never see you profile speed match the sync speed exactly as this has to have overheads taken into account. The best way to work this out is to take the sync speed and multiply it by 0.967 to give you the actual throughput profile we then set on your account.
If you're seeing something different from the 40mbps profile speed you had or the 41800mbps profile I changed you to them let me know or provide a screenshot and I'll take a look into it for you. It should definitely all match up on the account.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Sorry Accasim, I may have confused you.
The Plusnet website was saying my sync speed was 40Mbps, when it was actually 49.9Mbps. Then, when you checked the sync, and that showed 43.2Mbps, the Plusnet website said 41.8Mbps and still says that now.
I haven't been able to retrieve my profile information from the BT Wholesale Speedtest, but the speeds on there have been fluctuating, especially the upload. My ping times just seem to be climbing and climbing. First being 20ms, then 32ms, now 45-50ms. Here's the latest results from the BT Wholesale speed test (this is wired, following all the instructions on the first page).
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 37.62 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 1.85 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
My upload keeps jumping between about 2Mbps, and 7.7Mbps, my download between 32-37Mbps, with 39Mbps being the highest I've had. The ping time on the above test was 48ms. I wouldn't be too bothered about the speeds, but my upload estimation was between 7.7-10.7Mbps and my download estimate was 34.7-47.9Mbps, so a lot of the time, the speeds are below the acceptable estimate ranges supplied by BT.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again xreyuk,
I think it may be time to get some diagnostics pulled on the line. Could you have a quick run through the Speed Fault (EPP) here so that we can eliminate anything on your side. Once you confirm that's been done I'll run a few line checks and see what we come up with.
The speeds are certainly a bit too erratic so hopefully we'll turn up a potential cause so we can start the fix process.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Thanks Adam.
Here are the results from 5 speed tests. I connected my laptop directly with PPPoE to rule out the router. As you can see, varying speed results again. Pings are currently showing between 36 and 50ms for the speed tests. A ping to bbc.co.uk returns 36-38ms, which I believe is high. On ADSL2+ around the corner I can get 13ms to bbc, and all other customers I've asked are between 5-15ms depending on geographical location.

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 39.59 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 8.12 Mbps

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 37.28 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 1.92 Mbps

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 39.64 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 8.91 Mbps

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 37.18 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 2 Mbps

1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 39.58 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 8.61 Mbps
Is there a way to return the line to an 'as new' state? When it was first installed it had much better pings. It's the ping times that are mainly bothering me, as they keep rising, and it's slowing down browsing.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the update!
I can see that you have a few variations on the download speeds however there are some pretty wild fluctuations on the upload which is a concern. Can you conform if you had been connected at the test socket behind the faceplate? Once you've confirmed that I'll get this tested and raised as a fault then we can see what the testing gives us back.
The latency you're seeing there is no doubt a by product of the interleaving application so while this isn't ideal, at least we don't have to worry about this being another aspect fault. This should be rectified along with the fault fix.
With regards to the "as new" state, this would be along the lines of a DLM reset which we don't have the tools to do at present. We are working on this with our suppliers but it could be some time before we can request this remotely. Once the fault is resolved you should see the DLM start to pick up the speeds and pull the speeds back in line.

Thanks,
Adam C
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
This has been connected to the master socket, and I have no internal wiring attached.
I haven't connected at the test socket behind the faceplate as this is FTTC and I have a filtered faceplate. I have no way of filtering if I'm connected to the test socket.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi xreyuk,
You shouldn't need any filtering for the test as you should unplug all devices from the phone lines and just have the router to the test socket behind the faceplate. If possible it would be best to check this over a decent length of time (days) however it may not be practical if you use your landline regularly.
xreyuk
Grafter

Hi Adam,
This is an FTTC line, there is no way to plug the router into the test socket. The socket has an extra faceplate attached at the top purely for the broadband connection, there is no way to remove this.
The test socket behind the bottom half of the faceplate is a conventional test socket, there is no way to attach the broadband connection to this.
Here is an example of what my faceplate looks like: http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DSC_00331.jpg
My ping monitor showed this morning that I'd lost connection, so I suspect a resync. Speed tests this evening are slightly slower, averaging 37Mbps down, 5-6Mbps up and the Plusnet member centre is showing a sync speed of 41.2Mbps now. The tests were a bit more consistent than yesterday however, but my upload is below the estimate.
My download is a lot lower than the initial 50Mbps sync too.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

here is a guide on how to get to the test socket with the BT MK2 master socket faceplate it takes a bit more work than the standard one but is possible
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: Terranova667
here is a guide on how to get to the test socket with the BT MK2 master socket faceplate it takes a bit more work than the standard one but is possible
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

My point is, the connector is different. The test socket connector is a normal phone socket connector. The part where my FTTC line plugs in is RJ11.
xreyuk
Grafter

Any update on what you'd like me to do Adam?
If you can see from the ping graph in my signature, it appears I had a resync before 12PM. Don't know if the sync speeds have changed as I've noticed the Plusnet Member centre takes a few hours to catch up. Pings had been stable, but quite high up to that point, can't see why DLM would see the need for another resync.
Cheers.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

as the guide says put a standard ADSL Microfilter into the test socket then your cable into that