New forum V New forum

pepsi_max2k
Grafter

Re: New forum V New forum

arrgh its bright its tooo briiiight!!  Undecided Undecided *squints*
chesterfield
Grafter

Im confused. (I know it doesnt take much)
If there is a fully working solution that allows customers to navigate round the portal and the forums freely and smoothly, why close it and direct everyone to a disjointed affair before even the simplest of changes to colours etc have been made?
If people were complaining about the brightness, colours and layout during the beta process, why havent those concerns been addressed before going live?
Isnt this the very point of a beta?  Huh
Im going for a lie down.  Cheesy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I might add that the poll is also somewhat biased.  Those brought up on F9, FoL and MN might prefer the colour schemes on their own portals rather than the PN one.  Of course PN should win since it has more users.
However taking into account the best-liked features of the portals and the usergroup should increase overall satisfaction.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Once you get used to SMF you start to realise how much phpBB 2 sucks. Why do you think so much time and effort has been spent by the folks working on phpBB 3?
For me the biggest advantage is the ability to attach a screenshot (when it appears as a thumbnail) without either having to first upload it to my webspace or elsewhere and where as a thumbnail it doesn't bust the forum formatting in the way we frequently saw on the portal forums with embedded images.
But there are other features I much prefer such as the forum notifications options.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fa55
Community Veteran

I'm sorry to see the end of the old forum. Sad to read those last few posts.
I don't have much time to visit the forums any more and I think it will take me a while to get used to these new ones (even through I had a bit of a play with them when I was a mod). Oh well, progress is progress.
chesterfield
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Once you get used to SMF you start to realise how much phpBB 2 sucks. Why do you think so much time and effort has been spent by the folks working on phpBB 3?
For me the biggest advantage is the ability to attach a screenshot (when it appears as a thumbnail) without either having to first upload it to my webspace or elsewhere and where as a thumbnail it doesn't bust the forum formatting in the way we frequently saw on the portal forums with embedded images.
But there are other features I much prefer such as the forum notifications options.

I would actually have the opposite opinion.  There are a huge raft of modifications available off the shelf for phpbb2 that allow an awful lot more functionality.  Thumbnail screenshots is easily possible with phpbb2, you just have to be prepared to make the modification to the software.
As long as any mods are documented fully, then using phpbb2 is no problem.  The only one issue may be is that more hackers target phpbb2 due to its popularity
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: chesterfield
If people were complaining about the brightness, colours and layout during the beta process, why havent those concerns been addressed before going live?

A number of folks (myself included) made it clear that they weren't too keen on the colours etc. way back in April and so I would say that you have a good point there and a very valid one.
Regards .....
James
Grafter

I believed it's been mentioned that there's worki ongoing on a new skin which should be available for use before long.
Original_Design
Grafter

I thought web developers were supposed to program for LCDs (lowest common denominators - ie 10 year old 14" CRTs at 800 x 600 res) Wink
Alastair
God
Grafter

I prefer the new forum, far less jarring on the eye. However I can see that skins would give some options to personalise things a little.
plusnetsux
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd
I find this new forum layout and colours wishy washy a

define wishy washy
paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: James_H
Isn't there a way to create your own stylesheet to use against the forums via some browser trickery?

chesterfield offered this link in another thread which worked for me 
paul