cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - speed drop

invert456

Re: New fibre install - speed drop

Good evening Greg,
I checked the response from our suppliers when I was in the office earlier today and they have been unable to find any details. There are no planned works in the area and all the data we have does not suggest a capacity issue.
With the above in mind they are still looking into the issue, I am happy to see the packet loss has decreased but I am concerned that the throughput has fallen again, I checked the profile and there are no restrictions on our end. If possible please add a few more speedtests from this evening and I will attempt to take this forward tomorrow.
My apologies that this issue is continuing and the inconvenience it may be causing.
Kind Regards,
Dan
austinsom
Grafter

Hello Dan,
Thank you for your message.  I didn't run any speed tests last night as I lost track of time watching the football  Roll_eyes
However, I have just run one now and the throughput is on the up again, but the sync speed is falling.  TBB graph looks ok (to me) at least.
I can run some speed tests tonight to see if the throughput issue returns again.

Thanks,
Greg
invert456

Thanks Greg for the update.
I shall check back tomorrow once we have the latest speedtest results. The bonus is the packet loss has gone and the latency is on a reasonable level.
Have a good evening.
Kind Regards
Dan
austinsom
Grafter

Hello Dan,
Sadly I once again forgot, last night, until just after midnight to grab some speedtests, although this did still show a drop in throughput, which appears to have recovered this morning.  I have attached all the speedtests I have done since my last post.
IP profile is unchanged.
TBB graph looks ok too, although could be a little better:

I'll try and grab some tests tonight at around 8pm to see what throughput is like then.
Thanks,
Greg
austinsom
Grafter

Unfortunately time to revive this thread, yet again...
The large speed drops have returned, as well as the re-syncs top reduce my speed.  Letter to OFCOM now being produced.  This is happening too often.
Sorry chaps, just not acceptable.  I realise you're at the mercy of BTW, but for speeds to incrementally reduce is not on.
Some needs to get in touch with me Monday to have a full and frank discussion on how this can FINALLY be sorted, or the letter goes in the box Tuesday.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've dropped Dan a line to see if there's anything he can do to get your line retested today and to get in touch too.
austinsom
Grafter

Just thought I would post a quick update.
Dan got back to me regarding having a BOOST engineer out to have a look and see if he could help.  I provided my availability, and it looks as though it is fortuitous that I did so.  At 1700 on Saturday, my line dropped and has been down ever since (Currently using mobile dongle).
The engineer has been, line passed its pair quality test and so he has now gone to the box to see what is what.  So we shall see if that not only restores my connection, but puts the speeds back where they should be, despite what the 'expected' speed is now.
I will update when the visit has concluded!
austinsom
Grafter

So, the engineer went and visited the cabinet, where he still is tidying up various joints and connections that he said he wasn't happy with, rang me and told me he had got my internet back, and was told the connection was back up.  So I did a test, and lo and behold it is back to the speed I used to have 6 months ago.  Current profile speed is 77.43mbps.  So why on Earth has it taken 6 months and lots of pushing and phone calls and lots of toing and froing to get this sorted?  There was a reluctance by BTW to do any sort of work as the magic box flashed up green ticks, so 'all is well' seemed to be the prevailing attitude.  It is sad to see that even when technology is at fault, technology is used to try and diagnose that fault.  There is a lack of willingness to roll up ones sleeves and get hands dirty to investigate if their really is a problem, and the magic box, perhaps, could be wrong.
It seems then, that the root cause of this problem was a faulty port, and I dare say that the only reason my speeds have gone back to what they were is because of the total failure of that port over the weekend and me needing to be swapped to another port on the cab.  Luckily there were a couple left.  So was the port faulty all along?  Who knows as BTW weren't willing to try that.
I also want to thank Dan for his help and persistence, as he has also been of the opinion that the speed drop seemed excessive, given that I previously had this speed when first joining.  Who knows if it will stay where it is, but so far the TBB graph looks clean and latency is reduced from where it was.  I couldn't accept that a 20mbps loss instantly was a result of crosstalk.  I expected a ratcheting down until stability was achieved.  Who knows if this speed is here to stay, time will tell.  But suffice to say I will be keeping an eye on it.  It's just disappointing that this was raised in February and it is now August.
I would also appreciate someone giving my PN profile a kick, as that doesn't match my shiny new BTW one.
I will check back in if anything changes... Wink
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's excellent news!
As you say, it sounds like a case where the right person for the job has thankfully attended today and managed to clear up a heap of  niggles that may well have gone ignored!
I'll run a few checks on the line for you now and get that profile bumped on our side for you, it should take me 5 minutes at most.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks Adam, although it looks like I may have spoken too soon.  I don't know what checks you performed on the line, but it lost sync around that time, and has now dropped 10mb.  There was no apparent reason for it to drop otherwise.  Unfortunately if that was the reason it dropped, it didn't have a chance to stabilise at the higher speed.  There was no packet loss etc.  Now my TBB graph is showing very minor packet loss at the 'new' speed of 67.19mbps.  10mbps in one hit is a lot, and I would like to know if these checks caused a re-sync, as I have bnattling for months to get somewhere closer to the speed I had.
I must also say that the throughout is pretty poor too.  Nowhere near the profile speeds.  Looks like this is never going to end...  Sad
I have provided two screenshots, one before and one after the re-sync.
Thank you.
austinsom
Grafter

Having been monitoring the connection last night following the 'repair' I note that it is performing pretty poorly.  Despite syncing at 67mbps, it struggles to get into the 40, let alone any faster.  I suspect this is a result of the sustained packet loss I am experiencing.  You will see, and I find it particularly interesting, that prior to the resync that dropped speed 10mbps, there was NO PACKET LOSS  at all.  The DLM clearly has no idea what it's doing.  Those who have been following this thread will know that I experienced sustained packet loss previously. So it appears we are going round in circles, and I am reaching the end of my tether with this.
I have attached a whole raft of speedtests and also my TBB graph.
As a side note, if you do complain to OFCOM, believe it or not they DO NOT investigate, so don't waste your time.  You need to go through PlusNet's accredited ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution.  They have to tell you who this is when you ask, so take that route.
As this has been ongoing for 6 MONTHS, I would like a call from someone at PlusNet to explain what the next steps are, and provide details of when a resolution can be reached.  There is clearly still an issue, and no amount of plugging in diagnostic tools is going to fix it.  Someone has to go old school and get their hands dirty.  Sorry chaps, time to dig up the road.
Oh and if someone calls me, PLEASE use the contact info I provided on the ticket.  I am fed up with that being ignored.  I provide it for a reason.
austinsom
Grafter

Just carried out another speedtest to see if anything has improved...  No it hasn't.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning austinsom,
The testing that was carried out before I nudged your profile was non intrusive so wouldn't have caused a drop in your service so this was caused by something else. I have since tested your service twice this morning on an intrusive test so that we can gain full faults testing information however this hasn't returned anything glaring other than a failure in the test for performance which doesn't indicate a problem on the BT side of the network.
Moving forward, the sync speed is within the acceptable limits of the estimated line speed checks however the throughput you've recorded in the speed tests doesn't reflect this so this leaves us in the situation where we can only move forward by requesting another engineer visit to see if we can get work done to provide you with a consistent speed.
If you're happy for me to pass this back to the supplier and get another appointment booked I can get this done for you today.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks for the response Adam.  Please don't get me started on the whole 'acceptable speeds' shenanigans again - I have been disputing this for months as the estimates were lowered after I signed up, which strictly speaking is bordering on using a false instrument to enter into a contract, which is not good.  Perhaps you should speak to Dan who has been dealing with this for months...
Another engineer - great  Roll_eyes  They really won't do anything.  The only reason something got done this last time is because the line died.  I'm not sure they even care after the box says it's all passing.  Perhaps I should buy a pigeon.
Wednesday morning please, and this seriously most positively better fix it.  6 Months in to a problem, please...
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me austinsom,
Just to set your expectations on the engineer visit, tomorrow morning will most probably be too close to book now however we will try for this but it could well end up being later in the week so would you have an alternate date/time that we should aim for when booking?
I've given Dan a nudge to take another look into the fault for you so you should see some movement on there this afternoon. One thing Dan did mention is that the result in failure for the performance test didn't show on the BT side of the network and we can see from our side that the IP profile is set as it should be. Given this it is possible that the hardware being used on your side could be restricting the speeds so could you let me know which router you're using please?