Re: New fibre install - speed drop

Just to confirm it wasn't some weird fluke - speedtest says no:
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Dan is on with now.
He's updated your Ticket with the testing he has done so far and he will be in touch very shortly.
I appreciate the fault is very frustrating, we're working as quickly as possible to get this sorted for you.
austinsom
Grafter

Ok, thanks Chris - just a shame that the old ticket was closed, and it's taken another week to hear anything further.  I would also appreciate it if someone could explain how all these speed issues are covered under the code of Practise - which PlusNet are signed up to.
oh, and the TAP3 test does not work  Sad
austinsom
Grafter

Just looked at my TBB graph and noticed two disconnects - I assume due to testing?  The modem is still synced at 60.93mbps.  Throughput less than 15mbps - I was getting this on ADSL2+, and half as much again on LLU, I don't expect this on fibre.  In my experience, usually there is some variance when there is a disconnection and reconnection - perhaps my line has somehow been banded due to the problem with the old modem?
Is Dan going to respond to the other questions I have raised in this thread, as that was almost a week ago?
In the meantime, speeds still really poor.  I would appreciate an update from Dan at some point before 5:30pm today so I know what is going on.
Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Dan will be updating you today before 5:30pm, I can assure you of that.
Here's a snip from the Terms and Conditions for you:
Quality of Service
We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service, but we do not guarantee either the quality of the service or that the service will be available at all times. From time to time faults in the service may occur and maintenance on the network may be required which causes disruption. We will repair these faults as soon as we can and perform network maintenance when the network is least busy.

The tAP3 issue is know to BT and they are looking to implement a few fixes into this in early May.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks Chris, I'll wait to hear from him.
Re: the QoS snippet.  I appreciate that things can go wrong from 'time to time' and will need to be fixed, but I have been having the same issues now for 2 months!  That's stretching the 'time to time' element just a little bit too far, don't you think?!  Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It is a long time, I admit.
I'm confident that Dan will get to the bottom of the issue for you.
austinsom
Grafter

Chris,
I'm sorry to say, that despite your assurance, I have had no updates or communication from Dan, and it is now 6:30pm.  I appreciate he is likely busy and has other customers to deal with, but I would have appreciated a brief message to say when he will contact me.
Now, I am still not convinced my questions are being read, as I have still not received any answers.  Maybe Dan is dealing with this?  Just in case he is not, I'll put a numbered list here:
1) Why has my speed dropped by 20mbps all in one go, despite being in sync at in excess of 73mbps for the first week, with no drops?  After a week, the sync immediately dropped by 20+mbps initially.  Some speed was recovered with a new modem. My initial estimate (what I signed up on the basis of) was 78mbps.  That is practically what I had for a week.  Then it drops, and the estimates (That I did NOT sign up to) have now been revised.  Before anyone asks, I am 250 metres from the cab.
2) Is interleaving enabled on my line, if so, why (probably tied in to point 4, below?
3) How can the upstream be so badly impacted when my downstream syncs at the full rate?
4) After the last engineer visit, the Openreach modem was replaced, why was no DLM reset done?  If the old modem had caused the DLM to act on my line, surely this should have been performed.
5) Has my IP profile been banded due to the constant on/off of the faulty modem?  Despite two reconnections today (Presumably for testing, nothing to do with me), the modem has re-synced at exactly the same speed ceiling, suggesting an artificial restriction.
5) An explanation of how 25% of my total bandwidth has suddenly just vanished, despite maximum speed being attainable with no stability issues for a week.  I suspect a capacity issue, but as yet no-one has offered any sort of credible explanation.
6) What is causing the poor speeds I have been experiencing at peak times, and today during the whole morning and afternoon.  Does anyone actually have any idea what is causing the problem?
7) As you will know, PlusNet are signatories to the OFCOM 2010 Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speeds.  No-one has even once mentioned that, on the basis of the issues I am having, that I can change service/leave without penalty (4th principle).  Why?
If I have missed anything I will add it later, but this seems to be what I had in the various posts over the last week.
I would appreciate someone contacting me tomorrow morning with some sort of update regarding the speed issues, although I would prefer the answers to these questions posted here so others with the same/similar issues may get some enlightenment as well.
Thank you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies, I can see that Dan did get in touch, a little later than I had expected - it looks as though a couple of other faults Dan was working took longer than expected.
I'll do my best to answer your questions, although they would be better placed on your Fault Ticket for Dan to respond to.
1) Why has my speed dropped by 20mbps all in one go, despite being in sync at in excess of 73mbps for the first week, with no drops?  After a week, the sync immediately dropped by 20+mbps initially.  Some speed was recovered with a new modem. My initial estimate (what I signed up on the basis of) was 78mbps.  That is practically what I had for a week.  Then it drops, and the estimates (That I did NOT sign up to) have now been revised.  Before anyone asks, I am 250 metres from the cab.

The speeds are only estimates, they are not guaranteed, purely estimated based on the length of the copper cabling between your property and the FTTC Cabinet. Crosstalk for example is not included within the estimate as there is no way to know if this will affect your line. The speeds can be dictated by the amount of people connected to the Cabinet as well, something that is difficult to judge how much of an impact it will have an overall service.
2) Is interleaving enabled on my line, if so, why (probably tied in to point 4, below?

Interleaving is 'Low' on your downstream and off on your upstream - this shouldn't have any impact on speeds at all.
3) How can the upstream be so badly impacted when my downstream syncs at the full rate?

Your upstream is completely different to your downstream. As it stands at the moment, your upstream sync is at it's maximum of 20Mb.
4) After the last engineer visit, the Openreach modem was replaced, why was no DLM reset done?  If the old modem had caused the DLM to act on my line, surely this should have been performed.

Dan is in a better position to be able to answer that question, although a further engineer visit is in the process of being booked.
5) Has my IP profile been banded due to the constant on/off of the faulty modem?  Despite two reconnections today (Presumably for testing, nothing to do with me), the modem has re-synced at exactly the same speed ceiling, suggesting an artificial restriction.

Not as such. Your profile is: 37M-74M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving Off - it is technically banded but the banding is reflective of your current sync rate.
6) What is causing the poor speeds I have been experiencing at peak times, and today during the whole morning and afternoon.  Does anyone actually have any idea what is causing the problem?

Dan has been investigating the issue and it's quite difficult to put our finger on exactly what's causing the issue, this is why we've been arranging for engineers to visit to investigate further.
7) As you will know, PlusNet are signatories to the OFCOM 2010 Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speeds.  No-one has even once mentioned that, on the basis of the issues I am having, that I can change service/leave without penalty (4th principle).  Why?

That's something you'd need to speak to our Customer Options Team about - we do not deal with cancellations I'm afraid.
austinsom
Grafter

By way of an update - after much effort from Dan, and having numerous engineer visists I finally got the DLM reset that should have been performed after the modem was replaced.  The engineer also replaced some link connections on the copper network (My line is now confirmed as copper), and as a result, the rest of Wednesday and Thursday this week, speeds were up to the low 60Mbps.
However...
This morning, the connection was unusable - Horrific packet loss killed upload to the tune of the worst speedtest reporting 0.00Mbps, yet maintaining an upload of 16Mbps.  Restarted router, no difference.  It seemed to clear around 10am, but returned around lunchtime.  I am not using that computer at the moment, so have no idea if it's still not working.
I have no idea what is causing this, and I would like this looked at, as I have work to do this evening on a movie project and need high speed internet for it.  Typically this always seems to happen on a Friday.  I have updated Dan, but as I'm sure he has other things going on, I may not get a response today.
I cant put up with this:
over the weekend Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just given Dan a nudge to take a quick peek at that graph as it'll help with his investigation.
invert456

Good afternoon Greg,
A good start but we have hit the brakes again. I have fired off your graph to our suppliers to see if there are any network issues which would of caused that level of packet loss. I hope to have a response before I leave within the next hour. I am back in the office on Sunday.
Kind Regards
Dan
austinsom
Grafter

Thank you Chris and Dan Smiley
Hopefully it will be temporary and clear for when I get back to use that machine.
I will provide further graphs as these may be useful in trying to get to the bottom of the issue  Cry
austinsom
Grafter

Another update.
I have just returned to use my own connection to find...  The download is completely dead - speed test on the only device that would work is 0.01Mbps down and 16Mbps up.
Here is my current TBB graph:
As I have some video editing to do and send this evening, and as my paid for fibre connection is quite obviously dead, and looks likely to be that way at least until the early part of next week I will have to use 3G.
Needless to say, this will cost a fortune when sending HD video - who should I talk to about compensation? I won't ask for re-payment for the cost of purchasing the dongle, but I think it is only fair and right that something is done regarding the data I will be using, which I shouldn't have to do as I'm paying for the fibre connection. 
I appreciate that PN are at the mercy of BT here, but as I pay PN for a service, which has not been right since February, I don't see why I should have to foot the bill for this 3G bandwidth.  I appreciate what Adam W has previously done, but that was prior to this issue being resolved. 
I also appreciate the efforts of Chris and Dan, but if I have to put up with this for longer than the weekend, I think I might just tear up the contract and go back to AAISP on ADSL2+ which was 100% for 2 years!
I'll update again with another graph tomorrow to see if it was some sort of fluke, although it looks like a much deeper problem...  Who fancies digging up the road?!
austinsom
Grafter

Another update:
The internet was unusable all day Friday, but came back to life around 2145, with speeds returning pretty much to 60+ Mbps down and 16-17Mbps up.  Here is the TBB monitor for that time period:

Notice around 4am there was some sort of 'event' that caused my latency to increase.  I suspect interleaving has now become enabled again, although it doesn't appear to have been a full resync.  My IP profile is unchanged on the BTW tester (tests for Friday, post recovery added and also for Saturday and this morning, following the 'event').
Whatever happened appears to have almost completely eliminated the massive packet loss, although that was clearing late on Friday, so seems to have been some sort of network issue.  I await an answer on that one.

My throughput speeds are now significantly down on where they were, despite my profile being unchanged, so there is still an issue somewhere.  I wonder if this problem can make a full 6 months!?
I shall wait to hear from either Dan, or Chris regarding this, but something is not right.