cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install - speed drop

austinsom
Grafter

Re: New fibre install - speed drop

Thanks Adam.  It really would be easier if someone were to call me this afternoon.  Hopefully it will shorten the process, as it takes forever batting messages back and forth. 
Equipment wise, I am using an Asus DSL-N55U in bridge mode.  Never given me any problems and can easily code with the speed I'm receiving.  I have been getting ocassional spikes to 58mb on speed test.net so I really don't think my equipment is at issue here.  The TBB graph clearly shows packet loss and this is not helping matters.  As I was moved to another port on the cab, this could well be impacting me too.  I predict if nothing is done the packet loss will get worse causing the line to drop.  Happened before, so odds on to happen again.
I really do think a call would be easier.  This afternoon on the landline please.
Thanks.
austinsom
Grafter

As it is fast approaching 5pm, can someone from PN confirm I will get a call today to discuss this and a potential engineer visit?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi austinsom,
Dan has been alerted to your support ticket so after he has processed his fault testing he may well give you a call. From my understanding he started his shift at 12:30 so should be in on the evening shift to call later if he needs to.
Alternatively you're able to contact our technical team 24/7 should you need to discuss anything further, their direct number is 0800 432 0200.
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks Adam.  As I've asked for a call, hopefully that will be the case.  I'm not phoning the support team again, as last time I did I was waiting over an hour - that is NOT an acceptable wait time.
I just feel a discussion on the 'phone will save time, so hopefully Dan will call me later.
Thanks.
austinsom
Grafter

Ok, so now you have an extremely angry customer on your hands.  Thanks a lot for the lack of a phone call yesterday to discuss these issues, really appreciate it.
My internet is once again unusable, packet loss has increased to an unacceptable level to the point where the download has failed.  I'm now reduced to using my phone.  I need compensating  for  the extra I am having to spend on mobile data. I don't appreciate being ignored  when I have asked  a question, or being fobbed off. As far as I am concerned the contract between plusnet  and myself is null and void due to these repeated failures, and as a result I will be cacelling my DD payment  unless I have a phone call this morning to give some firm commitment to  resolving these issues.
Here is the graph, if you even care:

Oh and Friday morning for an engineer visit, if required. Although this will most likely be too soon as well!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning austinsom,
I'm sorry to hear that this is how you feel regarding the way in which the fault has both manifested and been dealt with. From looking back over the life of the fault I must say that you've received support above and beyond that of most customers who raise a fault and have no communication here on the forums.
I understand that you requested a call regarding the fault last night but unfortunately this is not a service we offer upon request which is why I outlined that Dan may call you should the need arise or if he had some information that needed to be shared with you or he had any questions or requests regarding the recent engineer works. From the looks of the fault it seems that we're still awaiting results from both further testing as well as the detailed engineer notes on the findings.
If you need to pass on some information regarding the fault then I will happily append this to the support ticket for you or even contact Dan internally however if you feel that you need to speak to someone then you would need to call the faults team direct which is the standard line of support we provide.
With regards to the fault, we are committed to getting this resolved for you however we have to work with our suppliers in order to get this done. Unfortunately we aren't able to tell them exactly how to fix their network or force them to carry out subterranean work upon request but we can give them our test results and information from yourself to help guide them in their fault finding and resolution process. We will always apply pressure to them when and where we can however some times a complex fault can take time to both identify and resolve.
Moving forward we will continue to support the resolution of this fault and we're dedicated getting to that resolution as soon as we possibly can. I will be on contact with Dan again this morning for you and see if we have had any additional updates through on latest testing for you.
austinsom
Grafter

Thank you for your post Adam.
Whilst it may have sounded like I am not appreciative of the support I have received, that is really not the case.  I feel I have been incredibly patient for the last six months whilst the fault has persisted, despite the lack of any real progress.  Inevitably that frustration is going to bubble to the surface from time to time.  Some perspective needs to be had here.  I have had this same fault for 6 months now, since I signed up for fibre, and in anyone book, that is a long time.  I was not made aware of my option to cancel at that time, and so I am now stuck in a contract for a product that is not what I signed up for, hence why I am now considering cancelling my Direct Debit.  It seems like PlusNet have not met the terms of the code of practise and so I should be free to leave if I so choose.
Whilst I asked for a 'phone call, this was not to be awkward, or to provoke some sort of reaction, it was a genuine attempt to reach out and speak to someone in the hope we could try and nip things in the bud before my line failed again.  That opportunity has been missed, and I am now, once again, left with a service I cannot use .  I have again, at my own expense, had to purchase additional data allowance on mobile broadband so I can try and keep in the loop.  Again, I should be compensated for this.  It is little details like this that are not responded to, increasing my frustration.
I can understand a customer having to call in with a new fault, however where there is an existing fault, and it is clearly a situation causing frustration due to its nature, I do not think it is too much to ask to pick up the 'phone and have a chat.  That would be welcomed I am sure by customers, and is a great way to avoid tensions rising.
I have seen it mentioned on other threads that when a call is made by PN, it is not made using the details as supplied on the support ticket - what is the point in asking for this if it is then ignored?  I have missed several calls from Dan as he has used a number other than the one I asked to be called on. 
With regard to calling the faults team direct - if PN could manage to answer within 5-10 minutes, then sure, I would ring.  But the last few times I have called it has been 1 hour plus on hold.  I have better things to do with my time than wait on hold.  As I am paying PlusNet for a service, you would think the least they could do, is be a little more pro-active and ring me to discuss the situation, rather than batting messages back and forth that are seeing me get more and more frustrated - this situation could really have been avoided.
Whilst I appreciate you are at the mercy of BTW, I don't pay them for the service.  I pay PN for my fibre service.  I am aware that BTW provide the network, fibre boxes, connections and infrastructure through which the internet service is delivered.  However, when there is a fault that has been ongoing for as long as it has, I think it has been quite clearly established that sending engineer after engineer to see me to really not achieving anything.  I am still in the same position I was in at the end of February.  Surely it is quite obvious that further action/attention is required, and my frustration is, why has this taken so long?  Am I really going to be left with a malfunctioning service for another 6 months? 
I would also appreciate an answer to the question I provided in my ticket a couple of days ago regarding the PlusNet ADR.  I would like the details of this so I can prepare a submission for them.
Again, whilst I do appreciate the support I have received, my frustration stems from the length of the fault, and small details not being answered, or contact details being ignored.  You guys do have a tough job, and I am quite aware that most happy customers do not make a sound.  I would like to go back to being that happy customer that I was when I had a fairly trouble free existence of PN ADSL2+.
Another graph to look at, and as you'll see, no change:

and a live graph:

I shall await an update before taking any further action.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi austinsom,
Thanks for getting back to me and for providing all the detail you have.
I totally appreciate the situation that you're in with regards to the length of the fault and I can see that you've demonstrated stellar patience with regards to the investigations and resolution this far. I would hope that we can finally get this resolved once we have full detail back and I have now been back in touch with Dan to ensure that we can get an update on this for you today. I've also asked that contact be made on the detail you provided in the support ticket so this should happen once we have the details at hand to provide you with an update which will actually provide us with an overview on the options we have open to us.
I agree with your point on having contact on faults of an outbound nature and in an ideal world this is something we would love to provide. unfortunately the resource required is where the problem lies. We do try our best to provide an update by phone where we need to however this isn't something that we can do on request as customers may not be aware that we are awaiting an update from the supplier and thus have no information to share, this is normally where will update a support ticket to outline that we're awaiting this information so that there is at least some form of an update.
Regardless of where the update sits we will always provide an update where the customer calls in which is why I presented this option if you needed to get something checked or add something to the fault where I was not able to do this for you via the support ticket or by contacting Dan internally.
Ultimately we will continue to pursue the fault to attempt to resolve the fault for you and I would hope that we have enough information back today in order to adequately manage this through to another engineer visit.
With regards to our ADR, this would be Cisas who can be found here if you should need to contact them in order to raise this matter.
Thanks again
sga1111

Hi Guys,
I've been looking around at people having the same issue on PlusNets VDSL, I am one of them, you ready for this; from the 1st of March 2014 I've had none stop issues, I've gone from 55Mb to now being capped at 16.5 Mb download. It works briefly and then DLM starts to kick in. Now router wise, I've tried my Vigor 2850n (Own built in modem for VDSL), the Plusnet router & Openreach modem (as supplied) and in my frustration I've just bought an ASUS DSL A68U (Own built in modem for VDSL). To be clear all routers have always been directly connected to the BT socket, I've changed the RJ11 cable from the routers to the Main BT socket, I've tried 4 types, I have even created my own RJ11 cable (tested it all good) and a new Belkin RJ11. My outcome is always the same, drop outs and the DLM interleaving my line. Now I can see I am not the only one here having problems, and no way can 3 separate sets of equipment be causing these issues and indeed customers sharing the same problem.
I am a breath away from getting offcom involved as there is clearly an issue that's not to do with customers equipment.
I am sorry for the whine, but I share your pain and I'm at boiling point I can't at times use my service. I also have to chase PlusNet, why are you not sorting these problems and keeping us informed? It's cost me a fortune to stay in for engineers to have the same cycle.  
If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful of your help as PlusNet clearly don't know what's going on!
Cheers,
Sean.