cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install, can't get wireless to work :(

tjd
Grafter

Re: New fibre install, can't get wireless to work :(

I'm using windows 7, downstairs pc is on XP (They're the 2 wired via ethernet)
The 2 with wireless problems are both on vista.
*Under the wireless tab on the router home it says
Wireless
WLAN: PlusnetWireless006F79
(54Mbps)
Active DesktopPCWInstallat-PC

Active Desktopsarah-PC

Active DesktopiPhone
All 3 have a green tick next to them although the iphone is the only one capable of loading anything.

Under event log I think this is the message showing the problem, judging from the amount the message appears I'd say it's from trying to open webpages, rather than an incorrect password.
Oct 18 18:35:55 LOGIN wireless station [00:17:3f:f5:b2:25] can't get authorized.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

A long shot but............is the wireless network SSID hidden? Cos I had terrible problems with two Vista PCs when I hid the ssid on my network;had to alter the router to broadcast SSID to allow connections.
tjd
Grafter

No it's not hidden. Got to go work so would be nice if there were a few suggestions when I get home Tongue
tjd
Grafter

The wireless is working on windows XP .. Just not Vista.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry if this is grandmother egg sucking time but .......Is the encryption level set the same? ie if router is expecting WPA -PSK are the wireless adaptors using WPA-PSK when they attempt to connect?Huh
tjd
Grafter

Yeah it's all configured the same and is showing that the PC i'm currently trying to get connected is active on the home network wireless via router interface.
Could really do with getting this fixed because I can't be doing with the bch-fest that will ensue if they both have to go without internet <_>
tjd
Grafter

Ok I've had a _bit_ of a breakthrough with this problem.
I disabled security mode via the router interface and have changed the network settings via Network and Sharing - View Status - Wireless Properties - Security - Not authentication (open) on  the first tab and Encryption type None on the second tab.
Now the only problem is that it's a completely unsecure network.
Any tips on what I should do next?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Sorry that I have been unable to respond to your PM sooner. Could you let me know a date and time as to when you'll be free for me to give you a ring? I'd be more than happy to take a look into this to see if I can get it all sorted out for you?
tjd
Grafter

Morning Chris, don't worry about the late reply Tongue
Got the problem sorted to some extent now, see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108556.0.html
Only problem being that it's via unsecured / registration only settings on the router / network and sharing centre.
Now I'm looking  for why the PC / Laptop on Vista won't connect using any of the several encryption types.
Replies here would be fine  but if you want to give me a call any time after 5pm or so during the week / anytime on the weekend would be fine.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Try disabling ipv6 on the wireless adapter on the Vista machines http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll give you a call on Wednesday evening and take a look at things. The last thing we want is, potentially, other people locally using your wireless connection. Smiley
tjd
Grafter

No bother m8, as said in the other thread it's via registration only now (so during registration mode is the only time devices can "sign-up" for the WLAN)
What's weird is the fact that on ADSL there has never been a problem with the wireless, that was on the thompson router. This problem has appeared out of thin air if you like.
That said I've tried EVERYTHING you could google and an awful lot of common sense things, so I'm thinking it's either the router itself or a hardware / OS issue.
Ty again for your time.
*Still on disabled security mode so this is what I need to sort now Tongue
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, no problem. If there is anything I can help with, let me know Smiley