cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install, can't get wireless to work :(

tjd
Grafter

New fibre install, can't get wireless to work :(

Hi everyone, had a new fibre install today which went really well and didn't take too long.
The BT guy told me to bring a laptop downstairs and after typing in the wireless key it wouldn't connect. (This is Vista laptop). Said laptop is pretty [Censored] so I just assumed it was too old to use.
Now I've tried to set the wireless up for my brother and after connecting to Plusnet network it says the following:
Access   Local Only
Connection Wireless Network Connection
Signal Strength: Very good.

"The server at google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address, etc etcv...
At the bottom i'm getting a message saying "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED) Unable to resolve the server's DNS address.
I've tried following the steps it says under "here are some suggestions" but with no luck.
Anyone know how I can fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: Aside from the download speed not yet updating the router / connection is working fine when wired via cable (both upstairs / down). Wireless just doesn't seem to want to work though.
Edit2: My broadband package / usage limit hasn't updated in member centre either. >_<

Update:  Disabled security mode via the router interface and have changed the network settings via Network and Sharing - View Status - Wireless Properties - Security - Net authentication (open) on  the first tab and Encryption type None on the second tab.
Now the only problem is that it's a completely unsecure network.
Any tips on what I should do next?
27 REPLIES 27
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New fibre install, can't get wireless to work :(

If its a Technicolor 582n you have then there are others here who have issues with it, including wireless issues.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check your passcode again. If there are any 0 or O's in it the 0 (zero's) have a score through them, and it is case sensitive.
One other person has the no connect issue with it, my problems are deeper in the system  Wink
tjd
Grafter

No there are no 0's or O's in the wireless key. Sad
Edit: When I try load google in chrome on his pc it just says sending request on the bottom left and on the top left I can see a plusnet logo before the web address..
It stays loading for a while then pops up:
This webpage is not available
The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. THis error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Here are some suggestions:
- Reload this webpage later.
-Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
-Check your DNS settings. Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.
-Try disabling network prediction by following these steps: blah blah tried this with no success.
-Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
-If you use a proxy server blah blah not using one so doesn't apply.

I've had no problems setting up wireless before so this has left me a bit confused >_<
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you do a properties of the wifi does it have an ip address like 192.168.1.60 ? It should also have a dns server of 192.168.1.254
tjd
Grafter

The IPv4 default gateway / dhcp server / dns server are all 192.168.1.254
tjd
Grafter

Would just like to point out my sister connected to the wireless with her IPhone but both my brother's PC and her laptop won't connect with wireless. Both on Vista and both had no problems connecting to wireless when we were on ADSL.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

the IPv4 default gateway / dhcp server / dns server are all 192.168.1.254

To me that would indicate that on the machines that are experiencing this problem, they are actually connecting to the router and that the issue is just that no data is being transferred over the connection.
The next step you may wish to try is a factory reset of the router, this is done by using a pin, cocktail stick, hair pin etc which is inserted in the factory reset switch hole on the back of the device. That needs to be held in for around 15 seconds before the lights on the router go out.
Let us know how things go with that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tjd
Grafter

Tried that, still getting the same message Sad edit: Tried on both laptop and PC, still getting same message. The wireless button is flashing on the router but doesn't seem to be working. Error 101 message this time. "The connection was reset"
tjd
Grafter

Tried everything I could think of and loads of different ideas from google. Not having it at all.
Also in the Network and sharing center it says PC (This computer) ---- Unidentified network ----X----- Internet    (The internet logo is faded, I assume it's not connected)

Underneath unidentified network it says Access Local Only.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ahh check your firewall settings (on the pc) you might be blocking the wifi network.
tjd
Grafter

Already did that m8, completely disabled firewall and antivirus to check. (Was one of the first things I tried).
Tried loads of suggestions from google and don't seem to be getting anywhere.
On the wireless Network Connection Status tab  Sent packets slowly climbs when I try to open a web page but Received just stays at 0.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do you get any response if you type: ping 192.168.1.254 in a command prompt?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tjd
Grafter

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.66: Destination host unreachable
Reply from 192.168.1.66: Destination host unreachable
Ping stats for 192.168.1.254
Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss).
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Are you using Windows Vista?