cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre customer, very disappointed with TG582n poor/weak signal coverage

mfid

New fibre customer, very disappointed with TG582n poor/weak signal coverage

Hi,
New customer, just switched from O2. Was always very happy with them, but didn't want to be transferred to Sky, and being aware of Plusnet's reputation for reliable, friendly and personal service I took the plunge on your top tier fibre unlimited package.
Have to say, I'm massively disappointed that you feel the cheap and nasty TG582n is sufficient.
When I can connect to the router wirelessly, the speed is great: 60-65 Mbps down and around 20 up is more than enough, but the router you're sending out is just unfit for purpose. I can't get a wireless signal in half my house.
After talking Plusnet up to my entire family and convincing everyone that it was a good move to make, I'm having to take the full brunt of 4 unhappy people: "Why did we ever move away? Our internet was fine before".
Obviously this problem can be fixed with a good router, and the N56U or N66U seems to be the way to go, but if I'm shelling out for the best package you offer why should I have to take another hit and by my own router?
Already spoken to your support, and while "James" was very polite, he was completely un-helpful, and clearly embarrassed by the whole situation.
I wouldn't think it's Plusnet's policy to screw over their customers, but that's what you're doing by giving us no option. I would have been happy to pay a subsidised charge for a better router when I signed up, and to be honest, if I had known that this was the situation, I would have taken my business elsewhere.
I want to make a formal complaint. If there's anyone from Plusnet on the forums, please tell me how. Will take this to the very top if I have to, until you start offering a better router, and compensate me for having to buy my own.
17 REPLIES 17
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New fibre customer, very disappointed with TG582n poor/weak signal coverage

The procedure for raising a complaint is explained in the Complaints Code of Practice.
David
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

See the other threads on this. PN's answer is that the router is OK for most of the clients, so will not replace it. (they will replace like for like with another 582, but not with an alternative)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Which router did you use with O2?
I ask, because for the past two years at least O2 supplied the same router (their model O2 wireless box V). I don't remember seeing this number of complaints about the O2 router in their forum.
I'm a bit puzzled why it should be such a issue with so many users here.
There is one difference however between the two routers, I don't know if this accounts for the difference in perceived wireless quality.
Plusnet router
Board Name: DANT-T
O2 router
Board Name: DANT-1
mfid

@Hairy Biker, yea unfortunately that was what I was told on the phone. My house isn't particularly big, so I find it hard to see how this router could be sufficient for anyone other than people that live in cardboard boxes.
@spraxyt, thank you Smiley
@npr, ahh you're kind of a celebrity when it comes to routers! I've read a lot of your posts.
We still have the O2 Wireless box IV (two external antennas) and that was absolutely perfect for the last 3 years or so. I wish I could get it to work with our new set up. O2 did send us the O2 wireless box V, and I tried it once and put it straight back in the box as the coverage was much worse. I was shocked to see that Plusnet are using the same router, and had complaints from my family as soon as I walked in the door the day the engineer had been in for the switch over.
Do you know if anyone's managed to unlock the wireless box IV? I'm willing to dig out the soldering iron if need be - if not it's going in the bin, along with the old wireless box V, and the TG582n from Plusnet.
Also, the difference between the wireless box IV we had and the current plusnet router is definitely not perceived. The location of the router is identical, and since the router was changed we can't connect in two of the bedrooms upstairs, and my mobile devices struggle to connect in areas of the house where we previously had no issues.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

We still have the O2 Wireless box IV
Isn't it possible to configure that using the ini file ( or even telnet ) ?
Not the ideal solution but, if so, you could configure that as a wireless AP and then plug it into the TG582 ( with its wireless disabled ).
Only downside is that you've now got three boxes! Could be a temporary to calm the complaints down whilst you sort out a permanent solution.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Welcome to the Club  Lips_are_sealed
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Well someone claims to have unlocked the O2 box IV.  Cheesy
http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8234&start=45&sid=89ad48b109202ea0bda4161bceffffe3
I tried a few months ago and failed miserably.
Good luck, please let us know if you succeed.
@mfid
If you want a quick fix, try MisterW's suggestion and connect the TG587v2, via ethernet, as a second (remote) switch / wireless access point.
Details here: http://npr.me.uk/together.html
mfid

OK I figured it's not worth my time and the chances are that I wouldn't be able to get it to work anyway.
I just went and bought an Asus N66U after reading good reviews online.
Reading a little more now I'm seeing that the BT Home Hub 4 is well thought of here on the forum and can be bought for around £45 on fleaBay.
Should I return the N66U?  Undecided
beetnik
Grafter

Quote from: mfid

Should I return the N66U?  Undecided

no - it's a top class router and you'll not regret having it.
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Second that, keep the Asus it's excellent.
I'm using the n56u and loving it.
Conor1978

I want to make a formal complaint. If there's anyone from Plusnet on the forums, please tell me how. Will take this to the very top if I have to, until you start offering a better router, and compensate me for having to buy my own.

I made a complaint (via https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22909&wizard_id=38) about the Technicolour TG582n but have not heard anything yet and I'm not expecting much other than the usual defence of this useless router. I feel sorry for the tech support people as I've always found them really nice and genuinely willing to help but there's not much they can do with this cheap router - except defend it through gritted teeth. I got the Asus N56U and it's brilliant.  People need to be aware that if they move to Plusnet fibre, they need to factor in the cost of buying a router to replace the rubbish that will be shipped by PN.
mfid

Quote from: Conor1978

I made a complaint (via https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22909&wizard_id=38) about the Technicolour TG582n but have not heard anything yet and I'm not expecting much other than the usual defence of this useless router. I feel sorry for the tech support people as I've always found them really nice and genuinely willing to help but there's not much they can do with this cheap router - except defend it through gritted teeth. I got the Asus N56U and it's brilliant.  People need to be aware that if they move to Plusnet fibre, they need to factor in the cost of buying a router to replace the rubbish that will be shipped by PN.

Couldn't have said it any better. I actually returned the N66U today as I found an old NETGEAR WNR2000 in my cupboard that I got for free from a beta test and it's doing OK for now. Will keep an eye out for deals on the N66U though.
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Conor1978
People need to be aware that if they move to Plusnet fibre, they need to factor in the cost of buying a router to replace the rubbish that will be shipped by PN.

I think thats a fair assessment, especially for the top end PN Fibre package.  The only types of people looking for that kind of connection are going to have some pretty serious requirements I would have thought.
Seems that PNs best option would be to offer an alternative 'premium' router in the ordering process for customers who want something more capable.  Everyone is happy then, PN get to provide pre configured routers for support processes and the customers get to decide on cost vs functionality at the ordering stage.  No disappointment for anyone then.
Im looking at getting my parents onto fibre soon and am already factoring in a router upgrade in the costs.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: npr
I ask, because for the past two years at least O2 supplied the same router (their model O2 wireless box V). I don't remember seeing this number of complaints about the O2 router in their forum.
I'm a bit puzzled why it should be such a issue with so many users here.

Excuse me for butting in... Im curious, what seems to be the main issue and gripes of this router. 
I've used one for quite a while on Be* and found that of all the routers I tried it gave me a rock steady connection with a higher sync than any other router - even slightly higher than the DG834's.  I got decent wireless signal and could use it right down at the bottom of  the garden despite the router being at the front of the house.  Obviously when on Be I was restricted to 24 Mb down 2.6 Mbps up so had no problems.
Ive not carried out any proper testing with Plusnets router other than notice it seems to work well around most of my home.  Obviously though I am loosing some speed as Im typing in a different room, but Ive just got  42Mbps down 17Mbps up which I dont consider too bad for a mobile device.    When I get chance, I may go for a wander around the garden Wink