Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - wireless drop outs - Netgear DGN1000

luke222010
Grafter

New customer - wireless drop outs - Netgear DGN1000

Hi,
Looking for some assistance.
Was with sky but moved to plus net last week. Previously with a sky router, no problems whatsoever. Skys router is locked down, and cannot be configured manually, therefore i've had to move back to my Netgear DGN1000.
I have the PS3 connected to the router via ethernet cable, and although there aren't any disconnections in online game play, there is a lot of lag at certain points. Coincidentally, the wireless drop outs/disconnections i'm getting on laptop and on all mobile phones connected, seem to happen around the same time as the lag in gameplay.
I am also getting a lot of disconnections to the router on laptop and mobile phone when the PS3 is not in use.
Has anyone had these problems before?
I reset the router back to factory settings, then updated the firmware on it, and then basically entered my account details into the router configuration. I haven't changed anything else.
Is there anything I need to change that would currently be causing the drop outs/disconnections?
Thanks in advance,
Luke.
9 REPLIES 9
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New customer - wireless drop outs - Netgear DGN1000

My DGN1000 is in my WEEE bin - never got it working well enough to find out what was wrong; though some of it may have been a line problem. No significant change when the line was fixed Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You could try changing the wireless channel.  That's the obvious thing you have yet to try, in case your problem is down to interference on the channel you are using at present. 
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ReedRichards
You could try changing the wireless channel.

I'm not sure that will make much difference Shocked
Quote from: luke222010
I have the PS3 connected to the router via ethernet cable,
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just checked the connection itself and that looks fine and has been connected currently for over 48 hours. What are your connection speeds like in general?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dave1240
Grafter

DGN1000 are well known to drop wireless connection I have tried every channel and latest firmware. I never got it to work and still have it now in my cupboard a total waste of money.
luke222010
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I've just checked the connection itself and that looks fine and has been connected currently for over 48 hours. What are your connection speeds like in general?
Adam

In the first few days the speed was around 4-5mb which is around 2mb slower than I'm used to. I know generally they fluctuate in the first two weeks so this doesn't worry me. Online gaming I am experiencing a lot of lag, and wondered whether interleaving would fix this. However, I've read from quite a few people that the DGN1000 is a troublesome router with wireless drop outs which is my main problem at the moment.
Can I sort a new router via this forum or do I need to ring customer services? Is there a router I need to ask for specifically?
Thanks,
Luke.
P.s. I tried switching the wireless channel to one that isn't used and still had the same problems.
luke222010
Grafter

Quote from: luke222010
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Adam

In the first few days the speed was around 4-5mb which is around 2mb slower than I'm used to. I know generally they fluctuate in the first two weeks so this doesn't worry me. Online gaming I am experiencing a lot of lag, and wondered whether interleaving would fix this. However, I've read from quite a few people that the DGN1000 is a troublesome router with wireless drop outs which is my main problem at the moment.
Can I sort a new router via this forum or do I need to ring customer services? Is there a router I need to ask for specifically?
Thanks,
Luke.
P.s. I tried switching the wireless channel to one that isn't used and still had the same problems.

Okay, just checked speeds, and they're quicker than before as expected:
DownStream Connection Speed 7256 Kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 444 Kbps
Tested some gaming out and it seems a bit more stable.
As for the Wi-Fi drop outs i'll keep an eye on them tonight.
Can a mod sort me a new router out on here or do I need to call customer services for that?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The mods on these forums are customers just as we are. Plusnet staff who monitor the forums are unlikely to be around now until tomorrow.
If you haven't had a Plusnet router in the last 12 months you should be able to order one (a TG582n) by giving the CSC a ring (0800 432 0200). The P&P charge of £5.99 would need to be paid by card with the £40 cost written off if you stay for 12 months.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, the quickest way to order a router would be to give us a quick call, once we've taken the postage and packing payment (or full payment if you want to do that) we'll send it straight out to you and that should reach you within a couple of working days.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team