cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer to FTTC

chrisgould23
Grafter

Re: New customer to FTTC

Thanks again, but I fear my cards already been marked with openreach.
I went for a little stroll last evening just to trace the actual route the cable takes from the manhole outside my house to the cabinet.
I got to thinking: If this was me diagnosing this fault then I would start in the manhole nearest the premises, using my hand held testmeter,  like the one that the engineer had when fitting it in the first place, I would check it at every manhole until I reached the cabinet noting the readings as I went and re-making every connection where necessary and it would take 30 minutes tops.
So why the hell won't they do that? Is it just idleness?  It's ok just to check the cable end to end and dismiss it as loss, but that doesn't mean anything if there is a scabby joint along the run somewhere.
I don't suppose I could persuade them to do that, but to my way of thinking that's the only was to fault find. Don't they teach these people anything?
Chris
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I discussed this with the engineer who was sorting out my fault - he did an amazing job and sorted it - and that isn't practical.
The connection under the manhole is a multiwire sealed connection and breaking it and remaking it is a major exercise. You can't do a quick check at the joint
chrisgould23
Grafter

I think you can I've had a look. It's a 50 pair jointed in every manhole, piece of cake and there's plenty of spare pairs as well.

Chris
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

That is the BT copper cable and it is BT's property and shouldn't be interfered with.  If you do attempt to touch it and it breaks, and a engineer is required, you will receive a very bid hefty fine! A mate of mine attempted to take of a manhole cover and extend his wiring, however this failed and he disconnected 4 or 5 houses, fine was around £1500.
The bit where it becomes your property is when it enters the property itself .
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
chrisgould23
Grafter

It's ok I've worked in the telecomms business and I wouldn't be that silly.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
The bit where it becomes your property is when it enters the property itself .

Errr, NO, afraid not, it's only yours on your side of the NTP - Network Termination Point. In domestic situations whether you have just POTS or ADSL the NTP is at the NTE5a after the Test socket - in other words you can change the faceplate and connect to the faceplate.
In a Fibre situation the NTP is the Test socket for the POTS and the Ethernet socket on the Openreach Fibre Modem.
Anything Upstream of all that is Openreach property.
If you happen to have old style master sockets with hard wired extensions, technically it is all Openreach's, until they change the Master Socket.
chrisgould23
Grafter

Does this mean anything to anyone because it don't mean jack to me?

Chris

internal--
continuation of Ticket:  closed in error by eu
--internal—
FTTC3: RWT
Field notes:
   test and demo  .. synq ok at 46.5 meg upload seed just under 10 ,, pq test ok no sevice affecting problems identified

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 47.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time
Fault Report Advised N
Profile Name 30M-60M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 5M-10M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Time Stamp NA

FTTC
Product status: Enabled
Product RAG: Green
Reason code: G - FTTC is already enabled on this line
CAB #: 3

Speed: 50400
Upstream: 13200

Detailed Records
Attribute: DownStream-BE UpStream-BE
TAP ID: TAP-1 TAP-1
Test ID: 1370347192 1370347193
Start Date/Time: 04-06-2013 12:58:46 04-06-2013 12:58:59
Test Duration: PT12.500S PT9.560S
User Name: link:csa removed
Domain Name: plusdsl.net plusdsl.net
Directory Number:  
Network Identifier: NA NA
Service Identifier: BBEU10334343 BBEU10334343
BRAS IP Address: 10.170.133.135 10.170.133.135
VPI: 0 0
VCI: 0 0
Peering IP Address:
Infrastructure Type (C+ C++ HG/LTS): LONS LONS
System Name: EUSC Performance Tester EUSC Performance Tester
System Host: EUSC Performance Tester EUSC Performance Tester
Policy Type: BestEffort BestEffort
Policy ID: FTTC FTTC
Profile Rate: 45594 20000
Test File Size: 65483748 456500
File Transfer Average Throughput/Session: 42980 6890
- BOT - DSL Logged Faults
9:12am, Wednesday 5 Jun 2013
Dear Mr
Thanks for getting back to us. Our response has been delayed because on 29th you seem to have closed the original fault ticket 70026445 by mistake. The engineer's field notes assert that all is testing OK with the service. The the latest results obtained from BT's test platform confirm a downstream sync rate of 47.1mbps down and 8.2mbps up. The DSLAM profile is set at 45.9mbps down and 20mbps upThe throughput achieved via the BT speedtester on 4th June is 42.9mbps down and 6.8mbps up.These results would be consistent with a properly functioning FTTC connection on a line of this length.
Your upstream estimate is 13.2mbps although I must bring to your attention that the line checker which provides the estimates does not take into account a number of factors which will affect the line meaning it is not always accurate. To put this into context the estimate is provided to the distribution point which is also accompanied by a standard algorithm that assumes the distance from the DP to the premises is 50metres, should you be relevant distance from the pole in the street or the underground feed then this is where the core speed is lost. The checker will simply take into account the length of the line as well as the circuits around you and what they have achieved. They do not account for the quality of the line whether it be copper or aluminium as well as the distance from the DP and/or the contention that will be on the service.

Your Response
5:40pm, Wednesday 5 Jun 2013
That means absolutely nothing to me. Please explain in English. All I do understand is that it ran at 50 meg for 3 days went down to 35 on day 4, 25 on day 5 and is now 42. Upload is less than half of what you promised currently running at 6.62 instead of the 13 you said on the original order. You said 50 meg +/- 1 meg. I'm sorry I don't measure things in algorithms and if there's a contention issue then that's down to you putting too many customers on one connection. As far as I'm concerned you promised 50 meg it ran at 50 meg for 3 days but now it can't due to poles and algorithms or whatever, so that is why I don't understand. If the cable is substandard then get it sorted. I was on a very healthy adsl prior to coming to you and the line was supposed to be 2.5 km from the exchange not 500m from a cabinet round the corner.

Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.
adie:green removed customers username due to the public nature of this forum.
Anotherone
Champion

Only a quick point, you need to edit your post and remove the agent's name(s) - Forum Rules  Wink
chrisgould23
Grafter

sorry just copied and pasted.
does it reject scunthorpe as well?
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

I always work on the basis of including no more (in any) personal information than is needed. Edit out (xxxxx) what you don't need.
The speed you get on a Fibre service depends on your cable length from the Cabinet, because that's where the DSLAM is. On ADSL it's the cable length to the exchange that determines the speed because that's where the DSLAM or MSAN is.
What the agent appears to be saying is that he believes the speeds are Ok for your distances from the Cabinet, but as that isn't mentioned, who knows.
The contention remarks are a cop-out as far as I'm concerned, because that should be taken care of in the estimate - that by the way isn't Plusnet's fault, estimates are provided by BTw/Openreach, and the number of users on the Cabinet in any event won't all be Plusnet, they could be any ISP that uses the Fibre Service. There won't be any contention at an off-peak time which is the way to check your maximum attainable connection speed (upto the limit of your current profile).
But the fact that you are getting under half the estimated Upstream speed as well as a reduced downstream speed compared to the estimate and you have remarked on a perished cable which will no doubt contribute to this problem is the bit you need to emphasise.
Did you mention it in the inadvertently closed ticket? But you certainly need to keep mentioning it until someone takes notice
the bit you can see that comes out of the tarmac on my drive has perished badly
. and did you include the comments about the engineers visit and the fact that he didn't inspect the cable as well as his unacceptable remarks. You need IMHO to add that to your last ticket response, as your last response is only a fraction of the story, and they will undoubtedly not look back at the detail in the closed ticket in a hurry.
chrisgould23
Grafter

I just had a rather heated conversation after waiting 45 minutes in a queue. Apparently when you order broadband of any flavour the figure they give you on the order is only an estimate. This raises some issues:
If it only an estimate then why does it have a tolerance of plus or minus 1 meg?
How can it be an estimate and precise at the same time?
The "estimate" has to be as high as possible as an inducement for customers to sign, as if they actually said what they meant no one would touch it with a 50ft barge pole.
If the cooling off period is only 48 hours from activation, how do you know if it's going to meet, not meet or exceed the estimate until after the 10 day training period?
If it turns out not to meet your expectations,or indeed the estimate, tough it's an 18 month contract , we've got your money la la la.
Why is contention my problem?  Not enough capacity That's my fault because.......?  Patch me to another cabinet with spare capacity (ssh! don't tell customers this can be done)
Why do openreach send out engineers without the necessary test equipment to diagnose faults?  I didn't report a fault for fun you know. I know OR use ill equipped contractors to keep costs down. My fault again.....?
I posed a scenario:
Let's say I order a table online, when it arrives it has three legs, I complain, the answer I get is "it's still a table, the estimate said it has four legs but it's plus or minus one"
Yes but it's no good. "yes but it's still a table"
Yes that's fine but it won't stand up " you can still use it can't you?"
It's only got three legs, it not as good as one with four which the estimate said I could get before I spent my money.
So if you were lucky enough to get one with five, because the estimate says it plus or minus one then you are quids in.
I was told there is a possibility of my download speed actually reaching the estimate, when I asked how this was going to be possible as the line profile was set way below I didn't really get an understandable answer. "The upload speed would have to be referred back to the faults team"
How long will this take? "they usually get back to you within 72 hours"
Is that 72 working hours or 72 microsoft hours?
Who knows? Sorry if I've gone on a bit, but my wife says I'm the champion of lost causes, dog with a bone et al.
Chris
clairescares

You think you have slow speeds? I had fibre installed yesterday, the engineer tested the openreach modem and said I should get download speeds of approximately 40Mbps and I think the upload speed he said would be around 10Mbps. So I connected everything up and my download speed is sitting at 4.79 and upload of 6.53? (yes my upload speed is higher) My download speed before I had fibre installed was 5.14 and my upload was 0.79! I've been driving myself nuts all afternoon trying to figure out why and gave in this evening and contacted help and support who are performing tests on my line now to investigate.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2754968144.png
Anotherone
Champion

@clairescares
Welcome to the Fourm and sorry to hear you're having such poor results. Have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required) This should match the BT IP Profile for the line.
To ensure the Profile is accurate, Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds.
Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Ensure the test is run with an Ethernet connection for an accurate download speed assessment of your connection.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
@chrisgould23
I think I could have warned you that could have been a waste of 45 minutes. Making sure that your response to the ticket contains all the relevant information and leaving it to be pursued by a member of the DCT on here would likely be a better approach.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Does the op have FTTP OR FTTH (for others)?Huh
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion

Hardly - with the predicted speeds, if you read the first post - FTTC  Roll_eyes