cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - speed slowdown worrying

Crustycrutch

New customer - speed slowdown worrying

Joined Plusnet in mid October. Initial download speed very impressive at 38Mbps. Documentation seemed to suggest speed would settle down and maybe get a bit quicker. I need fast speed for working at home. I test connection speed most days. Last two weeks has seen daily decline - now getting 23Mbps and noticeable slowdown connecting to work.

Don't understand reason for decline - nothing has changed. Have done basic checks as suggested by Help & Support pages. Is there a reason or something that can be done?

5 REPLIES 5
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: New customer - speed slowdown worrying

Hi there,

Having tested your line, it actually seems that your line is fully syncing at 40/2 with no noticeable issues. Are you using a wired or a wireless connection to run the speed test? What software is it that you're using to connect to work?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Crustycrutch

Hi, i use wireless connection to use Speedsmart on my ipad and check speeds regularly. As I mentioned earlier, initially the download speeds were consistently in the high thirties but have slowed to mid 20's (Mbps). I have made no adjustments or changes to my setup so cannot understand the slowdown.

I connect my work HP laptop to my office systems using something called an Aerohive - don't ask me for technicalities because I just turn the machine on and it connects as if I was in the office. It was working very well at first but now I get keyboard lag and instability presumably to the slowdown in speed.

It is better than my previous provider, but given that I'm paying for higher speeds to facilitate mobile working, lets say I am somewhat less than impressed.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you experience the same issues on a wired connection? Have you tried altering the wifi channel the router is using at all?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Crustycrutch

Hi, I cannot use a wired connection as the lead is not long enough. I don't know how to alter the wifi channel -  not a techie I'm afraid

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

There are details on how to change your wireless channel here. It'll be a case of trial and erroring the different channels to see which one provides the best speeds.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet