Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New customer - speed ok(ish) but some websites simply not opening

I wasn't sure of that either, but even so, it should still have been flagged up so that users are aware and can request specific help instead of wondering what's going on and if the have a faulty 2704n.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Bob
There are isolated instances of the incorrect MTU being set by the TR069 ACS servers when a router is first provisioned.
I don't know a great deal about the problem but I'm led to believe that it's been addressed in the next revision of the Plusnet 2704n firmware.

Hi Bob,
How isolated?
There seems to be a number of similar reports sound the forum - are the support channels fully aware of the issue?  Do they know what to look for and then how to fix please?
Is there a systematic way that this issue can be identified and fixed before users see it?  Is there anyway of users verifying if this problem impacts them?
Is there a plan to replace the 2704n with something more useful (no errors, supports telnet, works with RouterStats and the like) soon please?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why would Plusnet need to choose a device that already works with RouterStats? Can't anybody just make a program that fetches the 2704N dsl stats page at intervals and extract the data from that?
I hope you're not just greedily wanting a better router for free - I think most things people have said in defence of the 582n could just as easily apply to the 2704N.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi ejs,
I rather think you quote me out of context.  Im sure that you would not disagree that the 2704n is restricted in the extreme.  One is not asking for a high spec router )which was the point of discussion in the other thread) rather a router which has just a similar level of functionality as the TG582n with accessibility to useful information to diagnose problems.
Yes someone could write a programme, but why reinvent things which already exist?  If it were not for the restrictions in the PlusNET firmware I'm sure that existing tools would be quite adequate.
Having a dig at me does not help people looking for help.  But that is an old discussion.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

ejs, I really don't understand what you are driving at. The TG582n is way way a much better modem/router than the 2704n, The 582n is far more configurable (albeit with CLI commands) and doesn't have a fraction of the issues that people have been reporting with the 2704n. There is no way anything I may have said in defence of the 582n could I apply to the 2704n, in fact right now I'm struggling to say anything in support of the 2704n
Quote from: Townman
Is there a plan to replace the 2704n with something more useful (no errors, supports telnet, works with RouterStats and the like) soon please?

How can you possibly imagine that they may even have a plan to do that when Bob has made it clear that there will be a firmware update in pipe for the 2704n!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

So, disregarding all those old 582n wifi issues / whitewash, DNS issues old and new, the weird technicolor firewall (technicolor firmware is mostly a lot of custom software rather than using typical open source things), and the ones that make a high pitched noise which Plusnet decided to keep dishing out even after finding the problem - instead we're going to crucify the 2704N due to Plusnet mis-configuring their auto-setup ACS servers.
Anotherone
Champion

That is not the only problem with the 2704n or have you not been reading all the posts? It is also a new issue that only applies to some recent ones if we are to take Bob's word for it, and I'm not doubting him.
So all you can do it dig up some very old threads about the 582n, nobody said it was perfect. We've been here before - it's a BUDGET router BUT it does work better than the current 2704n and gives far better diagnostics.
Give it a rest please and try and post something constructive, eg. how can the average user simply check if the MTU on the 2704n is wrong? - and remember these users aren't all technical whizz-kids!
Edit:spelling!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I thought Plusnet should be able to identify all the affected users on their end, and perhaps even send the fix out using the same TR-069 system that caused the problem.
I'm sure using the ping command starting with the maximum packet size and working down would be declared to difficult. But that's what I can expect from people who tell me to go and do my homework and then ask me to do theirs.
Anotherone
Champion

I give up.
ChrissyR
Dabbler

I most definitely am not a computer whizz-kid  Sad  I just want a broadband service that works.  I have just had another conversation with customer service who tell me that is a coincidence that so many people are having a problem with this router.  They have offered to send me another 2704n.  Dont know where to go from here  Undecided
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ChrissyR
Dont know where to go from here  Undecided

I've made some changes to your account, can you try the problematic sites again and let me know if you're still encountering problems?
There are isolated instances of the incorrect MTU being set by the TR069 ACS servers when a router is first provisioned.
I don't know a great deal about the problem but I'm led to believe that it's been addressed in the next revision of the Plusnet 2704n firmware.

Hi Bob,
How isolated?

I'm not 100% sure TBH, I know it's not happening in all cases though. Having said that, it seems to affect all current FTTC firmwares where the user switches to ADSL mode via the GUI.
There seems to be a number of similar reports sound the forum - are the support channels fully aware of the issue?

I've seen a few briefs being circulated so they should be.
Is there a systematic way that this issue can be identified and fixed before users see it?

Not to my knowledge.
Is there anyway of users verifying if this problem impacts them?

Well, the easiest way would be to try browsing to some of the problematic sites. Another option would be to try pinging certain sites using various packet sizes as mentioned by @ejs.

There are no short/medium term plans to replace the 2704n with another device.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I'm not 100% sure TBH, I know it's not happening in all cases though. Having said that, it seems to affect all current FTTC firmwares where the user switches to ADSL mode via the GUI.
Bob
Is the reverse the case - using the GUI to change from ADSL to Fibre
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I don't believe the problem exists when the devices are used in PPPoE/Fibre mode.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ChrissyR
Dabbler

Still the same unfortunately.
Anotherone
Champion

There are other customers in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140177.0.html with the same problem.