cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, intermittent drop outs, suspect plusnet router ?

forumdave

New customer, intermittent drop outs, suspect plusnet router ?

Hi All,
New plusnet customer, been with you guys for about a month or so and everything is great except for random slowdowns and disconnects of the internet.
When everything is working great I get a "Noise Margin" of something like ... 10/6.8, when the link drops I get something like 11/-0.9. Now the odd thing,
I do a quiet line test 17070 opt 2 and its quiet no problems. I reboot the router modem and straight back to 10/6.8ish.
So rebooting the router should not in theory affect any real noise on the line - therefore router faulty ?
What do you guys think ?
Many thanks in advance
Dave

15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New customer, intermittent drop outs, suspect plusnet router ?

It sounds very much like intermittent interference
This could be external to your property or something in your house starting up
Does it happen at a specific time of day or is it random
forumdave

Nope its completely random, but when it happens it stays disconnected with the bad reading till i reboot the router, then the reading improves and all is well.
Its very odd and unsure what to do next
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It rather sounds as though the router is hanging on to the connection even though it doesn't work
This may be a loss of PPP while keeping the broadband connection live
Which lights on the router turn red
forumdave

Well its a sagemcom model 2704N Plusnet running software version 1.0 (Always a worry LOL) so no red lights, loads of green ones.
Internet goes out, I look at the web interface and it says disconnected or connecting. The web interface is pretty restricted Sad
Dave
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is odd as the Internet light should go red when it loses connection
Is this the first time you have had broadband or did you migrate from another ISP and, if so, which one
forumdave

Was with BT with no real problems for years, dont think there are any bi-colour LEDs on this router, green or off, have never seen a red even on startup
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are correct - I just plugged on in to check
Do you still have your BT Homehub and if so have you tried using it
forumdave

Nope not yet, OK will give it a go, will take a little time, wife has me on other duties now LOL
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: forumdave
When everything is working great I get a "Noise Margin" of something like ... 10/6.8, when the link drops I get something like 11/-0.9.

Could the router be still showing the last figures from before the drop?  I don't know how that particular model behaves, but that's what many do. 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Whenever you reboot any modem/router, it will reconnect at the target noise margin, presumably that's 6 in this case. If there really is more noise present, it will reconnect at a lower speed. So if whenever you reboot the router, you get the noise margin back to 6 and also get a lower speed, then there probably is some extra noise around, rather than the router being faulty.
forumdave

OK when I was with BT I used my old netgear router, dusted it off, setup username and password, and am now using it. Only been running for 15 mins so will wait and see ...
Thanks for the explanation of noise, thats useful to know
forumdave

Well been running AOK on my netgear router for 15 hours solid YAY and very responsive.
Any idea how to get my plusnet router stable ?
Cheers
Dave
Adamski2000

Dave Its most stable in the bin, thats what I have done after few week from joining plusnet same problems as yours, got my self TD-W8970 , and problem solved.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Remarks like that don't help one bit in trying to discover what is going on. This could be an intermittent line fault. I have seen figures just like that when there has been low insulation on one leg of the line.
@forumdave
Obviously see how it goes with the Netgear for somewhat longer. Can you post some full DSL stats which will give a feel for what your line is like generally and may lead to some specific advice and/or suggestions.