Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer from Sky - speeds poor

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: New customer from Sky - speeds poor

Thanks for getting back to me, I am very sorry for the conflicting information.

If the SNR settings are set too high/ low for your line then amending these can certainly improve the speed/ stability of a connection however, from reviewing both mine and the agents test results the SNR reset does not have an amended dB, meaning the reset they have done will unlikely have any effect. As mentioned I have been sure to pass on the relevant feedback with regards to this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

I have done another speed check this morning and am getting 2.59mbps download and 0.37mbps upload.

I agree this is higher than the abysmal 0.4 guaranteed speed but is totally unacceptable.

My daughter recently chose PlusNet as her first provider in her new home, but was unable to watch videos at all. Following calls to customer services she had a visit from BT who changed her phone socket giving an extra 2mbps. They advised that her broadband was capped at the exchange at 8mbps, and PlusNet removed the cap. Her speeds are now vastly improved.

I am wondering whether I have a cap at the exchange which may be slowing down the service too?

My speed with Sky until I moved to PlusNet last week was 14.65 download and 1.74 upload so I cannot understand why it has dropped so much.

cbatoday
Grafter

Wonder is they are killing bandwidth with the amount of subscribers they put on
Oh back to now broadband (sky) on 16th may
🤔🤗
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Afternoon all Smiley

Your line is capped at 8mb @doublekite however, as your line is in sync much lower than this (currently 3.2mb) it will be having no effect on your speed.

As previously mentioned, we could certainly look to booking an engineer to investigate further but as you are within your estimates if an engineer was unable to locate any faults you could be charged £65 for the visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

Thanks for all the advice Lauren.

So what are my options now as I am finding the slow speed so frustrating and I keep losing connection as well.

I have moved the router closer but this has had no effect on loss of connection, its like being back in the dial up days.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer please, I certainly do not wish to be stung with a £65 charge for BT coming out. I just cannot understand why Sky was so much faster when they use the same BT lines.

Don't want to leave PlusNet, your customer service is amazing!

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for your response.

Though Sky still use the BT Network, as an LLU provider they use their own equipment in the exchange, this could explain the difference in speed you're seeing.

As we are providing speeds within the estimates as per the email and the DSL checker here isn't really much we can do other than arrange an engineer I'm afraid.

I can see that there has been a number of drops in connection earlier today, I've tested the line again (this may have caused a drop also, so sorry if I have caused any disruption) and can't see any issues that may cause the drops. I'd advise having a run through our troubleshooting and connect your router to the test socket, once done please get back to us if the issue persists.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

I just cannot live with this dreadful speed. Last night my wife was on her Amazon Fire and I could not even get online....got the message "insufficient bandwidth" which I have never had before when I was with Sky.

So the internet was basically unusable for two devices....and my wife was experiencing drop out and poor picture too. We are not gaming, just browsing, Its intolerable.

As requested please e mail me my options, ideally I would like to cancel my contract as having paid 12 months upfront I feel really let down by PlusNet.

cbatoday
Grafter

Had same issues and am off to now broadband
Please read "cured of plusnet" for my experience
I would suggest emailing the CEO of plusnet to be assigned your own case handler.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@doublekite wrote:

I just cannot live with this dreadful speed. Last night my wife was on her Amazon Fire and I could not even get online....got the message "insufficient bandwidth" which I have never had before when I was with Sky.

It might be worth trying to rule out wifi issues as being part of the reason

Plusnet have some info here or how to split the wifi spectrums here

(by save changes on the second link, this means click the apply button)

If you do decide to try what's suggested in both links and the wifi still gives you issues, then it's possible the latest software could be causing this (assuming the router is a Plusnet Hub One).

doublekite
Dabbler

My router is model "Sagem 2704N Plusnet".

When I connect via 192.168.1.254 I do not get a 'wireless' tab when clicking 'Advanced' so cannot see if I am on 2.4Ghz or  5Ghz as shown in this post  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

I assume I do not have a Plusnet Hub One router? 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Ah, sorry about that, no you're not using a hub one Embarrassed

Therefore the insufficient bandwidth message is more than likely be due to your routers speed.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @doublekite,

To change the wireless channel on your Hub Zero, please follow the guide below.

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If you have a Android mobile device, you can download a free WiFi analyser from the PlayStore to find which channel is over saturated then avoid this channel.

Let us know how you get on.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
cbatoday
Grafter

Dont forget to unplug your phone cable from the master socket to get rid of static ( actually got told that the first time I rang plus net lol ) run round the house shouting faster faster ( the faster you run, the faster your broadband will be )
Plug the lead back In an viola.
You've waisted more time to compete useless tasks that can only be fixed by an external source
Rumour has it the openreach training department at Hogwarts is starting in sept