cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer from Sky - speeds poor

doublekite
Dabbler

New customer from Sky - speeds poor

I am new to PlusNet since connection last Friday. I am disappointed with speeds so far compared to Sky, videos are not sharp and sound is garbled a lot of the time.

I have done a speed check and have got the following: 1.42 mbps download and 0.32 mbps upload.

I am unable to find the original e mail showing your guaranteed speed but I was getting 9mbps+ with Sky so its disappointing to find PlusNet so poor.

How can I find the guaranteed speed for my contract please?

27 REPLIES 27
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: New customer from Sky - speeds poor

Welcome to the forums @doublekite 

How can I find the guaranteed speed for my contract please?

You'll need your Plusnet username and password. Click the following link and it will take you to your account, from there, being as you're a newbie, it shouldn't take long to find a copy of the email

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

(you can change the search time from 7 days to 30 days or indeed a date range of your choice)

Plus, bookmarking the link for future reference isn't a bad idea either;)

doublekite
Dabbler

Sorry done all that and can find no emails to view. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Huh

So from that link, do you see any open questions or just the drop down menu for closed questions?

Under the closed questions there should be a go button and to the right of that should be a drop down arrow.

I was, until you replied, sure copies of emails sent to your registered email address should also have been copied to there, possibly under the sub heading 'service notice'. From there, being as you shouldn't have too many, it would be a case of clicking on each reference number until you found the exact copy of the email.

Other than that, you'd either need to check your email account again or hang on for one of the forum team members to reply - the latter would probably give you a link to the ticket system (ticket system is the same as the link)

cbatoday
Grafter

Good luck at trying to get better speeds. Plusnet sent out 4 openreach engineers and each blamed the other
Going back to sky as like you I never had issues
doublekite
Dabbler

The problem is I have paid 12 months upfront and have a £75 cash card included in the deal, so possibly difficult to unravel?

Never had any issues with Sky in the 7 years I was with them but they put my cost up from £15 to £28 per month.

How long do I get to cancel the contract? there is 14 days to cancel from order date but unsure what timescale after installation.

doublekite
Dabbler

Nothing there, just stuff relating to the installation on 26 April, nothing earlier. The guaranteed minimum speed does not appear on any paperwork I have either.

cbatoday
Grafter

Ofcom now state the ISP's have 30 days in which to make sure the speed you get is the minimum speed set when you signed up. If you can not do this they have 30 days in which to try and solve it or let you go without penalty.
As you have paid for your line rental and broadband upfront then they should give you back what you haven't used on a pro rate basis
As for the £75 cash card that was for signing up online for their service which you have and this cant be removed from you as you haven't broken any contract
Be interesting how it would stand up in the small claim court
cbatoday
Grafter

Usually can find min speed they will give when you are signing up for their service.
They doing a dummy sign up but dont enter your phone number. You should be able to get an estimated speed from there.

I noticed yesterday when I was looking for a new provider the their min speed have dropped to near 2 or 3 mbps from 8-9 mbps prior to the Ofcom 30 day gaurentee
Probably to lower leaving rates
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @doublekite, thanks for getting in touch, I'm really sorry for the issues being experienced. The information regarding your estimated and minimum guaranteed speed will have been advised on sign up and can be found on your account here.

I've tested your line which shows your router is in sync at 3.1mb and no issues have been detected.

Going forward as your speed is running above the minimum guaranteed, though we can most certainly progress this and look to book an engineer, it is quite possible that if no fault is found you could be subject to a £65 charge.

It may be worth connecting your router to the test socket  to see if this makes any improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

I have chatted live with customer services and had the following replies:

Regarding slow internet:

I have performed some maintenance on your account and this will restore your speed to its correct value. Please restart your router in 4 hours and you should see a change in your performance immediately after.

Regarding Minimum Guaranteed Speed:

At peak times, we estimate that you'll get the following speeds on your line:
Download: 1.5 - 4Mb
Upload: 1Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 0.4Mb

I am wondering why my speed needed to be restored to its 'correct' value, whatever that is?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @doublekite, I have checked the test results from the previous agent and to be honest can't see what they have changed between their line test and mine (I'll ensure to pass on feedback with regards to this) and as mentioned your speed is within estimates.

As advised, I'd give it a go in the test socket to see if that makes any improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

Lauren, he did say wait 4 hours and disconnect then reconnect. Its not 4 hours yet since the chat.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks @doublekite, from what you have advised it sounds like they have reset your signal to noise ratio but to be honest it's unlikely to make much of a difference to your speed.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
doublekite
Dabbler

Thanks Lauren. With all respect, I cannot really work out why one PlusNet agent would tell me things will improve but you think otherwise. Both of you have more knowledge than me but its all rather confusing!