Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Traffic shaping for down streaming seems a bit harsh

Ruddy
Dabbler

New customer - Traffic shaping for down streaming seems a bit harsh

Hello,
New(ish)customer (dsl) just wondering if it is normal for the down rate to be restricted on streamed playback to around 60Kbp/s (twitch.tv) and sometimes around 70Kbp/s (youtube)? It just seems quite harsh, I could be wrong but i would say its fair in the year 2013 to expect as a standard to be able to stream smoothly 480p videos (around 100Kbps mabye 150kbps typical). I know the reason this is so cheap and 'unlimited' due to the traffic shaping but 60kbps seems harsh guys.
+'s over my other provider (i have 2 lines, 1 with orange and 1 with plusnet)-
More stable for gaming (less time outs)
Less connection drops
Alot Cheaper
Negatives-
pings around 10ms higher
video stream shaping is harsher
Sitting at half the upload speed
and synced at around 1mb slower down

*The last 2 could be why it is more stable to be fair*
Overall I'm happy due  to the price.
Anyways the traffic shaping to 60kbps at peak times for video normal?
6 REPLIES 6
picbits
Rising Star

Re: New customer - Traffic shaping for down streaming seems a bit harsh

What package are you on ? If it's an unlimited package then you shouldn't see any traffic shaping.
Ruddy
Dabbler

Ok so here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/pro-Add-On-faq.shtml#prioritisedTraffic under 'what is prioritised traffic' it says plusnet unlimited streaming is gold which is middle priority (gold plated being lowest and titanium being highest) So I assume there is shaping on all packages?
My connection syncs at router at around 3mb connection speeds. Download at peak times (ftp) around 2.6mb speeds at off peak around 3.1mb. Just rather annoying is all having to wait on stuff buffering on mainstream websites.
I have also suffered occasional drops (about once every couple of days) and random speed to drops to around 1/2mb down on occasion. Sometimes it hits it peak sometimes it floats under
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the forums by the way Ruddy. Those speeds you mention there don't sound right. Are you sure you didn't mean kB not kb. Anyway all streaming should be at line speed subject to any limitations from the source.
See this about how traffic is prioiritised and how it's managed. See also this about download speeds for each product.
See also this excellent blog on Traffic Management
I think it would be a good idea if you posted the full ADSL stats from your modem/router. If its the 582n to get the stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post.
Could you also check your Current Line speed (Login required).
Ruddy
Dabbler

hey
lol sorry about that  I did mean capital B
ok so if its all day line speed then something is defo wrong here (im not usually up off peak so testing has been rather sporadic at that time)
Estimated line speed:
2.0Mb (This may vary between 1.5Mb and 4.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-04-04 00:47:54
Current line speed:
2.8 Mb

router:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 13:45:28
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.264
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 344,02 / 1,99
Speed test:

Anotherone
Champion

Something isn't right as you say.
But you forgot to click 'Details' on the top RHS of the page for the full stats. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113968.msg984381.html#msg984381 is an example of what you should see, with an output from the BT speedtester below. Speedtest.net doesn't give the BT IP profile for the line.
Can you also try ping ntp.plus.net from a Cmd prompt.
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Anotherone
Champion

Any news? Some of your fluctuations could simply be down to noise pick up that could be caused by your internal wiring. Other speed variations may be speedtester congestion, or possibly exchange congestion.