Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Speed problem

LeeSmall
Grafter

New customer - Speed problem

Hi,
I am new to Plusnet and have a problem with my connection speed.  Lots of websites are timing out or not loading at all.  My router is telling me that my downstream connection speed is 803kbs but my results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ are:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 249 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :800 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 400 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.24:25.3:65.46 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
I was with Supanet a few months ago and was getting a connection of around 1024kbs.  Can somebody please take a look?
Thanks
Lee
13 REPLIES 13
LeeSmall
Grafter

Re: New customer - Speed problem

Forgot to say, those tests were done using a wired connection and the router/adsl modem is plugged into the master socket.
Lee
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is obviously something adrift unless you are a very long way from the exchange
Can you post your router stats - noise margin, attenuation and speeds
When you say the master socket - was this the test socket and if not can you try that
LeeSmall
Grafter

Connection Speed 803 kbps 402 kbps
Line Attenuation      77.0 db    44.5 db
Noise Margin          6.7 db        3.7 db

The socket says it's a ADSL v1.0 - I just checked and it doesn't have a test socket.
Thanks
Lee
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are in trouble.
The only chance you would have of getting better speeds would be to go onto a fixed rate product (1Mbps) but I have a nasty feeling that the BT systems won't let you do it.
LeeSmall
Grafter

I had 1024kbs download speed with Supanet so I hope I can get the same with Plusnet.
LeeSmall
Grafter

Just reported it as a fault with PlusNet.  Apparently my connection is dropping really frequently.
Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi LeeSmall,
I suspect it'd be worth moving you from the up to 20Mb ADSL2 product back to the up to 8Mb across the same 21CN network as the line management is less severe - this should stabilise the connection and allow you faster speeds. If you're happy to go ahead with this please let us know - alternatively we can raise and chase the intermittent connection fault you've raised and see how that affects things?
LeeSmall
Grafter

Please go ahead and switch me if it means I could possibly get a faster and more stable connection! 
Thanks
Lee
LeeSmall
Grafter

Any idea how long this normally takes to do?
Thanks
Lee
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's placed and due to complete tomorrow for you Smiley
Please let us know if it helps, thanks.
itsme
Grafter

Mat
I was under the impression that ADSL2 offered speed improvements for users on long lins as unlike ADSL max it can use just 1 bit in a bin.
LeeSmall
Grafter

Ok, not much difference.  BTOR said they have fixed the problem but half of the websites I vist timeout. Support have just told me to wait 24 hours and call back.... 
I would just like an ADSL service I can actually use -  Angry
LeeSmall
Grafter

The disconnect problem has returned - it was stable for all of 18 hours  Cry
I really feel like I am being fobbed off by the support guys.  Have been told to wait 24 hours then switch my router off/on and see if it makes a difference.  If not call back and a speed fault will be raised which could take another 48 hours for BTOR to look into. 
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry