Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - No working internet

FIXED
Danielf
Hooked

New customer - No working internet

Hi

Have received an email this afternoon advising my service has gone live. Set up my router and lights all green but the service won’t work when connected via an Ethernet cable to my laptop or just on Wi-fi on another device. After entering the router password I get a service information message with 5 possible problems. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New customer - No working internet

What are the five possible problems?

It is likely either the account is not set up completely, or username or password not right.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 247

As @Mustrum says - it can take up to midnight on 'activation day' for all the account components to become fully integrated and the connections completed.

John
Danielf
Hooked

Thanks for your replies.

Same error this morning and this is what it says;

SERVICE INFORMATION

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.
Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.
Or
You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.
Or
You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider
Or
You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.
Or
The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider

Page maintained by BTWholesale

Any ideas?
jab1
Legend

@Danielf What username is showing if you log into your router? Is it your account name or 'setup@plusdsl.net'?

John
Danielf
Hooked

Just checked. It’s neither and something I don’t recognise at all. Do I simply need to change that?
Danielf
Hooked

Tried to change the username but it’s greyed out and won’t let me change it
jab1
Legend

@Danielf It should be your username. Disconnect the DSL cable, change the username to that which you agreed with Plusnet, and ensure the password is also that agreed, save and reconnect the DSL cable. What is showing?

John
Danielf
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve changed the username but having put in the password when I try to save it and reconnect it just keeps reverting back to the former password (I can tell as it’s much shorter). So now left with my username and an incorrect password as it won’t save.
jab1
Legend

OK. It is a very long time since I had to do this, but if you have definitely entered the correct username and password, what now happens if you try to connect to the internet? (BTW the username should be in the format username@plusdsl.net)

The username and password save together, so something doesn't sound right.

John
Danielf
Hooked

Still not working I’m afraid.

Actually changed my password online to ensure I’m getting it right. Updated username and password and appears to save it all when reconnecting. Then no internet. Check back on the username and password and it’s my username but the old short password again already set when I received it. Seem to be going round in circles. What I don’t understand is why this router had someone else’s log in details to begin with. Could it be faulty and a return?

Any other ideas?
jab1
Legend

Sorry - I'm out of ideas, and to be truthful this is something I'm no expert at - I last set a router/connection up maybe 5 years ago, then left it alone.

Maybe @Mustrum will come back with an idea?

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Fix

Well may to clear a couple of things up:

1. Forget the password asterisks, they don't match password characters.

2. Do a factory reset on the router, username should revert to setup etc - if your account is live PN automation should change it to the correct one.

3. Which router?

4. if still not working, give PN a call.

jab1
Legend

Cheers @Mustrum . I forgot the 'asterisk' thing, five years is a long time.Smiley Can't argue with any of the rest of your post, so @Danielf - follow the guidance.

John
Danielf
Hooked

Thanks for your help guys. The restore to factory settings worked a great and all up and running now.

Thanks again!