cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, 4 hours uptime 36 hours down

Smokesignals
Dabbler

New customer, 4 hours uptime 36 hours down

Good morning all, I don’t want to be that customer that keeps complaining but I’m not very impressed with my broadband switch over so far...

I was connected on the 14th and everything went great for 4 hours until I was disconnected and I haven't been able to connect since. I’ve spoke to tech support 3 times, the first guy said a fault will be raised, the second said there is a problem in my area (which doesn’t appear to be the case according to the online service detectors) and the third gave me a time scale of up to 2 days before the fault is checked and 3 days before anything is done about it.

The fact that I was connected for a few hours suggests it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to reconnect me doesn’t it?

I have a solid green Broadband light which suggests I am in sync with the network, but a solid red internet light which has something to do with authentication as far as I’m aware.

Is there anything that can be done to get this sorted ASAP? It’s definitely not a problem at my end, as it was set up and working fine until I was disconnected for no apparent reason. I’m also plugged into the test socket to eliminate internal wiring issues and the router is the only thing using the phone line.

I’m experiencing a fair amount of buyer’s remorse to be honest.

I’ll finish on a positive note though, the people I spoke to on the phone were friendly and answered the phone swiftly, even if ultimately my issue remains unresolved.

I just want to know what the problem is and when it will be fixed?

Thank you
11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New customer, 4 hours uptime 36 hours down

Thanks for getting in touch @Smokesignals

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had since you joined us.

From looking at your account I can see we've asked our suppliers to investigate the exchange in case there's a fault located there and we've also sent you a new router just in case the router's at fault.

Our faults team will continue to monitor this for you and they'll update you as soon as they know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smokesignals
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply Matthew,

I’ve received the new router which is now set up in place of the original one and I saw openreach doing something to the telegraph pole opposite my house yesterday afternoon... unfortunately, no change to my connection as yet.

Perhaps openreach were there for a different reason though so I’ll sit tight until the 48 hours has passed.

I’ve got a suspicion that this won’t be fixed anytime soon though so where do I stand regarding the 14 day period in which I can decide to not continue with the contract without cancellation fees? Does that 14 days start from the 14th of January? I don’t intend on cancelling right now, but I would if it’s going to be several more days with no connection.

It seems bizarre to me that something as straightforward as an ISP switch from BT to Plusnet can go so wrong.

Smokesignals
Dabbler

Day 6 of no connection now, new router has made no difference at all.

Please help, this is incredibly frustrating!
Smokesignals
Dabbler

It seems like plusnet feel I’m either making up this problem or that I’m being impatient.

It’s been nearly a week with no connection, and the only response I get back is “we’ll get back to you”... and when they do get back to me it’s only to say “we’ll get back to you”

How should I proceed from here?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Since your post, it looks as though my colleagues have booked an engineer visit for you.  I hope it goes well.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Smokesignals
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply, Tony. That is correct, I finally got through to someone on the phone this morning who was excellent. She seemed genuinely sincere and I’m very grateful for her efforts. I feel more informed about what has been done, and about what is being done moving forward to rectify the problem.

An engineer is booked for tomorrow morning so hopefully the mystery will be solved soon enough.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Pleased to hear this. @Smokesignals and I'm glad you were well looked after.

Please let us know if there's anything else you need.

Best wishes

Dave

Smokesignals
Dabbler

The openreach engineer has just been and found no physical fault, but did discover a network configuration problem which was easily fixed remotely.

Thank you to those who helped to get this sorted, it’s very much appreciated.

I still think 7 days is a rather long time to be offline, especially as a new customer and when the fault was essentially ‘virtual’ so I would appreciate it if plusnet adjusted my bill to reflect the downtime
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

No problem, @Smokesignals

I can see that @MatthewWheeler picked this up for you initially, so I'll let him see this through to resolution for you.

Best wishes

Dave

Smokesignals
Dabbler

Thank you Dave.

I would like to offer some positivity to counter my whinging in this thread.

I am back up and running and Plusnet have offered a generous gesture of goodwill so thank you to all involved!

All the best
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear all is sorted @Smokesignals

Feel free to get back to us if you have any issues in future

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team