Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and a little confused

kk27
Dabbler

New and a little confused

Hi Folks.
The BT Engineer installed my new fibre optic modem this morning and it is now up and running.  I am on the Fibre Essentials Package.  Having just been on ADSL with O2 I was disappointed  to see the following speeds taken from the BT Performance Test:
Download Speed (Mbps):    7.82
Upload Speed      (Mbps):  8.43
Ping Latency (ms):              29.63
These figures are taken from the Plusnet Website:
High Speed Broadband
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit - Checked on 2013-06-11 21:03:07
Current line speed:  78Mb
I realize it is early days but would have thought the download figures would have been a lot better than that even at this early stage!  I was getting around 5.9 download speed with O2.    Any help from a Plusnet Staff member would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New and a little confused

Couple of things to check
Run the BT speedtest again and this time click on the diagnostic after the test completes and report the results
Are those results wired or wireless - if wireless please check wired
kk27
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.   The test was wired.  I have tried to insert the image of diagnostic test results but without success as I am new to the forums.   Any advice appreciated.
Test Results.png
dick:quote
kk27
Dabbler

Hi again.  I have typed out the results below.  Thanks again for the help.
Test results are:
1.  Best Effort Test:
              Download Speed
              7.73 Mbps
              38.72 Mbps is Max Achievable Speed
Download Speed achieved during the test was - 7.73 Mbps
For your connection the acceptable range of speeds are 12Mbps - 38.72 Mbps
2.  Upstream Test:
              Upload Speed
              8.59 Mbps
                10 Mbps is Max Achievable Speed
Upload Speed during test was - 8.59Mbps
The test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To add a picture to a post - click on Additional Options and Attachments under the bit where you type on your post
Regarding your speed results something is adrift.
You should raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the forums by the way.
First of all, log in to the Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds.
Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test again. 
Do a Copy and Paste of the Diagnostic results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Check your Current Line speed (Login required) again, this should at least equal your BT IP Profile,  if it's still at the default value of 78Mbps, it hasn't be updated yet, but won't be limiting your speed.
Try the Diagnostic speed test again at an off-peak time, ie, early hours of the morning ideally, not just after midnight.
If the speeds are still slow, (but you could try this anytime), try bypassing the Router using a PPPoE Dialler connection to eliminate the Router as an issue. See
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ or
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... depending on your OS.
(There is a similar setup for a MAC I believe).
kk27
Dabbler

Many thanks for the information and help.  Much appreciated.  I tried something I used to do with my previous ADSL router and carried out a restart using the router webpage.  Seems to have done the trick as you can see below.
Download Speed:  37.18 Mbps
Upload Speed:        8.52 Mbps
Thanks again Smiley