1472                1  1043224290  76696978  Local Area Connection
The MTU on the router is set at 1500

Used TCP Optimizer to change the value
duncs
Grafter

Re: New Vista machine - v slow connection

Sorry this is all getting a bit technical for me  Embarrassed
Step by step guide?
Still struggling with most webpages.  SOme take an eternity to load and others take normal amount of time.
Loombucket
Grafter

Quote from: duncs
....I get the impression windows is trying to scan each image before loading it.

Ah!  The phishing filter is interfering (as usual) - turn it off.
Yes, that's right, you heard me.
Disable the bloody thing - it's about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit and slows verything up chronically.
See if that makes a difference.
kreynolds
Grafter

Open the command prompt
Start==>All Programs==>Accessories==>Command Prompt
Then follow the instructions on the Command image attached below.
This will show you what your current MTU value is.
Download TCP Optimizer from the link I gave earlier.  Open TCP Optimizer from the location where you saved it.
As shown in the screenshot TCP Optimizer click on Custom Settings and then enter the new MTU value as indicated and adjust the slider as indicated.  Apply changes and reboot for the changes to take effect.
To confirm the settings have changed run the command prompt again.
Having a too high MTU will cause packet fragmentation and slow the connection down as it needs to retransmit fragmented packets
kreynolds
Grafter

And this is what the difference in MTU values can do
MTU @ 1500

MTU @ 1472
duncs
Grafter

OK here's an update - I ended up getting a replacement laptop yesterday as the first one was making an annoying rattle. 
Wary of problems with the first one, I immediately uninstalled Symantec trial software.  Low and behold web browsing was very quick.  I then installed Zonealarm, which had been running on my old machine fine, and it ground to a slow dial up speed.  Just uninstalled zonealarm and its quick again.
Some questions:
1)  Anyone heard of this before?  ZA website says it is vista compatible, but not by my reckoning.
2) What kind of firewall software should I be running.  Have BT Wireless 1800 hub and avast AV running.  Do I need a local firewall aswell?  If so, can anyone recommend one thats not going to run my connection into the ground?
Thx
God
Grafter

I'm running Zonealarm 7.1.0780000 (free version) on a vista desktop with no speed problems. Are you running free or pro?
Have you got program control set to medium?
Monitoring of anti-virus off?
And are you sure you havent told any system files they cant have net access?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: puddy
Have been told if you try to put 4mg ram only 3 or 3.50 ram will show up in a vista 32bit

Correct....it's a limitation on 32 bit machines. Memory mapping by other installed hardware such as the graphics card are a factor in the equation.
Not an issue with Vista 64 bit
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: PJ
The only advantage of having ZA running in preference to the Windows Firewall is that it blocks outgoing traffic as well- so if you're careful what you download it could be argued that the Windows Firewall is all you need (especially as Windows Vista prompts before allowing installation).

I don't have Vista but I understand the Vista Firewall can filter both inbound and outbound traffic.
Quote from Microsoft - "(The new Windows Firewall) supports filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic".
Sorry I don't have a feel for how well ZA integrates with Vista including performance issues.
David
Not applicable

I can't understand whether the Windows firewall is bi-directional or not, and there appears to be some debate about this.
I think that it needs to be configured from wf.msc to activate the outward bound traffic part of it.  I tried this and got it wrong so reverted back to the default.
With regards to the Vista compatible Zone Alarm I began to use it a couple of weeks ago as my paid-for security suite was causing a slow-down of the computer.  I now have AVG free and ZA free and both are working very well.  Zone Alarm automatically switched off the Windows firewall.
I agree with PJ about the efficacy of the WF - I was quite happy with it, never had any problems and as I am a very careful Internet user I felt that it was quite adequate.  I only downloaded ZA because of all the stuff you read on the Internet about needing a two-way firewall. Not being an expert, I thought that it might be better to 'go with the flow'.
My computer is 32-bit Vista Basic laptop.
TAZZ69
Dabbler

Other thing you could try is running Firefox instead of IE7. I find IE7 a pain in the a~@e, although the wife likes it.
This would rule out IE as the source of the problem
paulby
Grafter

As PJ said, it's definitely a no-no to have two firewalls running - either use the Vista Firewall or ZA.
As to which one - I've been using the Vista Firewall with no problems.  I previously used ZApro (on an Xp machine) but my wife used to click "deny" to just about every request for web access that it threw up and I had to go through everything and change things so that we could get e-mail etc. working!!
I would say that if you're reasonably happy with your general PC security i.e. running regular AV scans with a decent AV tool and doing regular anti-spyware scans, then the Vista firewall is probably OK.
The software firewall will generally only be needed to protect you from threats within your network as you're using a NAT router (assuming the wireless is secure)  - for example if you take the laptop elsewhere and then reconnect to your network.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I can't understand whether the Windows firewall is bi-directional or not, and there appears to be some debate about this.
I think that it needs to be configured from wf.msc to activate the outward bound traffic part of it.  I tried this and got it wrong so reverted back to the default.

Was bi-directional by default on my install of Vista without the need to manually configure anything. I was using Zonealarm prior to upgrading to Vista. IIRC it was working OK but I removed it for another reason (damned if I can remember what it was though).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Here's one posting I found
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=797279&SiteID=1
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine