cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - slow broadband speed

panlid
Hooked

New User - slow broadband speed

Hi, i'm new to plusnet, my connection has been live for 2 weeks or so. I have not been able to break 4Mbps. Not happy at all with this considering the service is advertised up to 17Mbps and i'm not even getting 1/4 of that. Is there anything that can be done to improve it? Username is panlid. 

16 REPLIES 16
panlid
Hooked

Re: New User - slow broadband speed

Some more information from the BT speed test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.79 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.01 Mbps

panlid
Hooked

And the estimated line speed is 15Mb according to the plusnet check.

panlid
Hooked

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: xxxxx
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 8 days 18:59:18
7 - Data rate: 672/4555
8 - Maximum data rate: 900/5088
9 - Noise margin: 7.4/7.4
10 - Line attenuation: 28.4/36.0
12 - Data sent/received: 1.8G/1.6G
20 - Broadband username: xxxxxx
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: xxxxxx
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: 24:7f:20:2f:d2:52
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.2

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is very stable, so that's not causing any problems.

Judging from the line attenuation, I'd expect you to be connecting at a much higher speed that you are.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 28.4 36.0
SNR Margin: 7.3 7.4
Errored Seconds: 0 3
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 241731 421364
Speed: 672 4552

Can you confirm that your router is plugged in to the master socket? Is there any noise on your phone line when you pick up a handset and dial 17070 running the quiet line test?

**UPDATE**

I ran a full test on your broadband, which probably kicked you offline for 2 minutes so apologies for the lack of notice. This did find a fault though:

Problem Explanation: [NF03] The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (CE)

So I tested the phone line separately and:

Test Result: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required)
Description: FAULT - Dis one leg in Network

A fault was detected along the line, external to your premises. I've reported this to Openreach and updated your account with this information.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
panlid
Hooked

Ok, good thank you for that. What happens next?

Chris
Legend

We need to wait until an engineer has investigated (and hopefully) resolved the phone line issue on the 20th. Once this has been fixed we can look at the broadband issue, however it's often that phone faults cause broadband to be slow or intermittent.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
panlid
Hooked

Well i'm impressed with how quick you got onto this mate, thanks. 

dr_dra
Hooked

I'm in the same position as you.  Just moved from Sky where i had a solid 17mb down / 1mb up connection.  Since my move, i have had nothing close.  Line speed estimate matched skys, but performance isn't even half that.  Cant even stream without buffering.  

I have a call logged which a line fault was picked up, really swift on that last saturday, but now things to be getting worse and after a call tonight (45 on hold!) . Apparently i have to wait 5 days now for the fault team to come back.

Just read your post, and it sounded exactly like the issues i am having, hence my comments.  Starting to wish i had stayed put.  Just wondering if they are linked.

Come on plus net....

Chris
Legend

@dr_dra

Although it may seem like your issue is the same, it's not. Your connection is actually synced through at a very good speed and it's the throughput having problems.

Can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

dr_dra
Hooked

Morning Chris

Thanks for the reply yesterday.  

You do indeed raise a fair point with my issue.  I have been assured the line is syncing well.  which when i check on the routers is always around 19mb down / 1up .  I have ran the BT speedtest a couple of times with additional diagnostics also, showing a 12mb down / .8 up, then again with a 14mb.

Why when i get those speeds from bt, do i only get 7mb down and 1up from speedtest.net.  Sounding sceptical i know, but isn't the latter more of a real world example? 

Regardless of speedtest provider, It seems the the upload is also ways similar, its the download that is also an issue.

It also, and this could be me, seems to fair worse when I am on the 51.9.X.X Range than another, that appears 143.159.X.X  

I appreciate the help here, i am just getting frustratioed as either way \i look at it Skys connection was solid, 17mb down and 1 up from a speedtest test,  I really didn't think moving to you would result in a backwards step? 

Thanks

dr_dra
Hooked

Hi Chris

Just ran another BT one, with dignostics, and now have a 9.2mb result. speedtest.net actually managed a 9.7mb down! 

There simply seems to be no consistency with the circuit, 

Thanks

Dan

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

How and what are you running your tests?

dr_dra
Hooked

Laptop, Windows 10, straight into the back of the router via Ethernet.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Did you have anything else connected/using the connection when running the tests?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet