cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User, Bitterly Disappointed

Pugs
Grafter

New User, Bitterly Disappointed

Joined Plusnet last Friday having left another provider due to speed issues but I'm considerably worse off. I know its within 10 days of signing up but the connection speed is useless:
BT Speedtest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2701 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps
Date 24/11/09 15:06:04
Speed Down 852.58 Kbps ( 0.8 Mbps )
Speed Up 371.12 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

Is this what I should expect from Plusnet? If so, please let me know because I won't hang around.

21 REPLIES 21
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New User, Bitterly Disappointed

Your sync speed with the exchange is currently 3424 Kbps which is not bad, but isn't great.
Can you post the stats from your router please (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pugs
Grafter

That was a quick reply, thank you!
Here are the stats
Uptime: 3 days, 21:24:51

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,424

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 42.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 12.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 826

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 515
volta84
Grafter

What package are you on? I joined just over a week ago and the connection has been amazing. (im on pro package 20cn up to 8mb) + I just got placed on Pro Max aswell to increase my upload speed and lower contention is running really smooth, extremely happy.
Im sure there must be something wrong here.
Pugs
Grafter

I'm on Plusnet Pro. Unfortunately 20cn not available here so on ADSL. I chose Plusnet because of good reviews not cost. If I could have good speeds I don't mind about the cost. I left ADSL24 recently. They were more expensive but until recently I was getting good speeds, then they started traffic shaping but it seems like "out of the frying pan...." but I hope this will not be the case.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your noise margin is 12.5 which suggests that some interference on the line has caused BT to raise the target noise margin to try and make the line more stable. The result of this is that the sync speed goes down. Your errors look good for 3+ days up time so I'm not sure why the target has been raised. Have you changed anything recently that's plugged in to phone sockets? Are all phones, Sky boxes etc. in all extensions filtered? Have you connected/reconnected a number of times in a sort period of time?
You can confirm what your target noise margin is by looking to see what the noise margin is immediately after you have rebooted your router (it will be 6,9,12 or 15).
If your line remains stable with very few errors the target noise margin will come down but that can take some weeks (thank you BT - not! Sad )
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godsell4
Rising Star

@pugs when you were with ADSL24, what speed test results did you get with them?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Pugs
Grafter

Hi
I have 2 phone lines. The ADSL line has one socket which is connected via a 2m cable. Nothing has been added although I changed mt fax machine in August.
I have disconnected and reconnected a few times today to see if there was an improvemet. Yesterday there was an outage of about 5 minutes.
Thanks
Pugs
Grafter

@godsell4
Difficult to answer as surfing was pretty goodso I never checked. I noticed Rapidshare downloads slowed from 400-450kbps to 100-120kbps. It was like having dial-up again. But since joining Plusnet, my surfing is painfully slow as well:(
Pugs
Grafter

Is it worth switching off interleaving?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't have thought so, at least not at the moment - unless you are a gamer and need short pings.
Just to clear up one minor point volta84 referred to 20cn and I think you thought he'd meant 21cn - BT's new backbone network.
Your throughput speeds being low may be down to the current network issues, but you should check you don't have exchange congestion - http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ . There could also be other reasons.
Quote from: Pugs
Hi
I have 2 phone lines. The ADSL line has one socket which is connected via a 2m cable. Nothing has been added although I changed mt fax machine in August.
I have disconnected and reconnected a few times today to see if there was an improvemet. Yesterday there was an outage of about 5 minutes.
Thanks

If those disconnect/reconnects caused a resync with the exchange as opposed to just dropping the ppp session, the exchange DLM may have taken this an an intermittent connection and raised the Target SNRM. However, with the attenuation you have,  that sync speed is not good, even with a 12dB Target.
As I understand it, you've just got the one socket on this line with maxDSL Could you say whether it's an NTE5a Linebox (see attached) and could you describe exactly what you got plugged in and how, the various leads etc, what type of filter - does it have any identification?
I'm assuming as you've just joined PN that's the 565v7 modem/router and maybe the filter is one of those supplied with the modem/router?
What modem/router were you using with ADSL24?
One final tip: When you need to reboot or swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.
julesandtash
Grafter

From the BT speedtest report you included on your first post, a download speed of 2701Kbps when your profile is 3000 isn't bad, its certainly in the right ball park so cant blame plusnet on that. I am getting a speed of around 2300 with a 2500 profile.
The results from think broadband and speedtest.net seem a bit low though.
You're not kaspersky internet security or antivirus are you? If I leave my Kaspersky on whilst running a speed test from think broadband or speedtest.net I get very varied and random results, turn it off whilst running the speedtest and the results are very close to the BT speedtest result. Strangely Kapserksy does not seem to affect the BT tester.
You will need to get a sync speed above 4000Kbps before your IP pofile lifts any higher, the sync speeds for each profile are listed here ....
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
Some people have had problems with certain gateways as well, you can find out which one you are connected too here....
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
I am currently on pcg-ag03 and getting good speedtest and surfing speeds.
godsell4
Rising Star

@pugs
There are some questions asked which you have not replied to, especially 'Which account are you on?' Is it PN Value or Premier?
If it is Value, then your rapidshare downloads will be throttled at peak times of the day. Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
pierre_pierre
Grafter

he did reply
Quote from: Pugs
I'm on Plusnet Pro. Unfortunately 20cn not available here so on ADSL. I chose Plusnet because of good reviews not cost. If I could have good speeds I don't mind about the cost. I left ADSL24 recently. They were more expensive but until recently I was getting good speeds, then they started traffic shaping but it seems like "out of the frying pan...." but I hope this will not be the case.
godsell4
Rising Star

Yep very sorry, I scanned the thread too quickly and missed that. Sad
@pugs were you on a normal BT ADSL or LLU ADSL connection when with ADSL24, if you are using the same equipment you used when with ADSL24 you should get the same download speeds with PN as ADSL24, your PRO account means you traffic is prioritised above others.
Finally look here and see if you exchange has any known problems http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ ... what does it say?
If this is not the problem, then you should arrange a time with PN for them to monitor your line while you are surfing/downloading to check they have your line correctly configured on the Ellanoya.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC