Did you mean: 

New Usenet platform now open for testing

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: New Usenet platform now open for testing

Hi Stuart,
The RIN IP ranges have recently been removed so I'm guessing that's what's causing your problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

praethon
Grafter

Thanks for that. Odd that it was working on the RIN and then stopped. Something for PN to investigate!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Bob
Hi Stuart,
The RIN IP ranges have recently been removed so I'm guessing that's what's causing your problems.

Why?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

This would be because of the way that we are charged by Supernews and the potential abuse from 3.5 million customers also on RIN.
We're currently looking into this to try to see if there are any alternative measures we can use.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

So why wasn't a service status posting made about this? Instead the users find it's stopped working and are left trying to figure out if they have done something at their end. Angry Angry Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I will be sure to include mention of this in the Service Annoucement that is made when the new platform comes out of testing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's not good enough. If you want our cooperation in testing new things for you, play fair and alert us if you become aware of anything that may affect us.
As a minimum you should have posted a prominent alert in this topic and in p.s.c-f
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

jelv,
It's a trial.
If I had sufficient forewarning about this then I would have notified everyone in advance. There was a bit of confusion though following discussion as to whether or not RIN should be on the allowed list.
The confusion arose because most of us were under the impression that the ranges were not currently allowed and that we were discussing having them added. In reality the opposite was true, the ranges were already in the list and had to be removed.
Because we didn't think they were there in the first place, we didn't envisage any problems.
It would have been nice to have let you guys know, I agree but at the end of the day both RIN and the Supernews server are trial platforms and the normal PlusNet news server was operable throughout.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

It depends upon whether you want our cooperation. Knowing you are likely to dump on us without any warning makes it far less likely I'd try things out in future.
Liam
Grafter

Unfortunately, that is a nature of a 'beta' or a 'trial'.  We will always do our best to let you know when we're going to change something - but it certainly isn't going to be possible all the time - and i do think it is unreasonable to expect that we'll notify everyone of any and all changes we make to a service whilst it's still being trialled.
On this occasion, it was an oversight as we didn't think the RIN IPs were allowed in the first place and it was a quick action to remove them.  You asked the question of us here - and we answered.
The BBC have been running an iplayer trial for some time now.  Initially, everytime I logged in they would have changed something, moved something, changed how something worked etc...  They're continually working on it.  They didn't notify me that they were making changes but I didn't expect them to.  I expected them to tinker...
praethon
Grafter

So is the RIN now permanently excluded from SuperNews or will it be allowed back in. Clearly that presents a problem for those of us that want to remain on the RIN trial and participate in the newsgroups. Sounds like it will be one or the other is that right?
Stuart
James
Grafter

Hi Stuart,
This is currently undecided and is currently being discussed.
Once we have more details we'll be sure to let you know.
praethon
Grafter

No problem. I'll switch to the normal network then until a decision has been made.
Many thanks
James
Grafter

Stuart,
You'll still be able to access news.plus.net on RIN.  This is only regarding the Supernews news service which is currently in a trial state.
praethon
Grafter

I have got both running at the moment. As SN is now blocked on the RIN I have switched back to the normal PN network so I can still see both. All is now working again  Cheesy