Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Usenet platform now open for testing

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

New Usenet platform now open for testing

As per the Community Site article here, we have now opened up our new Usenet platform for testing. If you have a question or would like to provide feedback then please post it to this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

34 REPLIES 34
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: New Usenet platform now open for testing

PlusNet forums still do not seem to be replicating on the new service?  Last entry is 16/7/2007
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Posts to our private groups (eg. plusnet.service.customer-feedback) are not currently propagating to the new servers and no posts since the 16th July will be visible when using the test servers to browse these groups. This is something that we are aware of and something that will be fixed before the service is fully launched.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mrleah
Dabbler

I have just tried connecting to the new usenet service with Thunderbird, but can seem to get a lists of available groups. The connection just times out.  No better when tried with KNode.  Have disabled the firewall just in case.  Normal  usenet server seems to be working fine.
Anything obvious that I could have missed in the setup?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Ah, just had a thought, have you switched the "safe surf" option on on the portal? From another post on Usenet I suspect the Ellacoya config hasn't been done yet.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mrleah
Dabbler

Thanks Dave! 
Yes, I had the Safe Surf option on.  Seems to be working okay now.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Safe Surf blocks port 119 entirely so I'd be surprised if the old server worked if you had it switched on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mrleah
Dabbler

Bob, perhaps I have confused what Dave meant by Safe Surf?  I presumed he meant the Surf control under "Connection Settings" in the member centre on the portal.
I have always been able to access the Plusnet news server with this service activated, however, I am unable to access external news servers such as eclipse.org.  I usually connect to this server via port 80.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No, you're not confusing things - They're one and the same.
I think the confusion stems from the information here which states that port 119 is blocked.
I guess it makes sense for an exception to be made for our news service Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mrleah
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
I guess it makes sense for an exception to be made for our news service Wink

Keeping it blocked would certainly have saved you a few quid in news servers!  Wink
The new service seems pretty good so far.  Reasonably fast connection speeds despite the incorrect traffic prioritisation reported elsewhere.
praethon
Grafter

Is the SuperNews platform still open. I haven't been able to connect all day. Error 502 - unknown response! Normal PN news server is fine
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: mrleah
The new service seems pretty good so far.  Reasonably fast connection speeds despite the incorrect traffic prioritisation reported elsewhere.

That was being worked on this afternoon, I left the office before the work was complete so not sure if it's finished yet, but will check tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: praethon
Is the SuperNews platform still open. I haven't been able to connect all day. Error 502 - unknown response! Normal PN news server is fine

Yep, just tried it and it worked fine. I've not seen that error before, did it work for you before today? I'd suggest a reboot because I'm not sure of any thing else and if it's still a problem have a further look into it tomorrow.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
praethon
Grafter

Looks like there is a problem. There are a few posts on the plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup. Is there any link to the RIN and the SuperNews connectivity problem? It looks like a few of us are on the RIN so it may be the problem. I should add that it was working fine until yesterday afternoon. It has been out of action ever since  Sad
Stuart
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It is a RIN problem. I changed my login to plusdsl and got straight in. Changed back to plusdsl2 and it's dead again (totally different BT IP address was on 81.x.x.x now on 86.x.x.x so it doesn't appear to be specific BT IP ranges).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)