cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Thomson router to install: what is the best process?

WynnLestrem

New Thomson router to install: what is the best process?

Plusnet has sent me a new Thomson router.
This will replace an old Alcatel router I have been using for years.
My process question:
Is it best to uninstall the Alcatel software before doing anything with the Thomson?
Or does it not matter?
Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: New Thomson router to install: what is the best process?

Hi WynnLestrem,
If you are not going to use it ever again then you can, but the only issue you would have would be if it was a USB modem/router as this can sometimes cause the browser to default to that connection and will pop up with a work offline option as it can't find a connection.
Jojo Smiley
WynnLestrem

Hi Jojo,
Thank you for your answer.
I knew I wasn't going to use it again, so uninstalling made sense.
What I discovered on getting to Step 4 of the "Setting up your Thomson Gateway" (the paper leaflet which comes with it), is no matter how much preparation, any system is subject to day to day changes. What Harold MacMillan described in his dictum as "Events, dear boy. Events."
At step 4, I found my browser (Firefox) telling me the "server could not be found". When I rang your helpdesk, Jez wondered if it was my antivirus, AVG,free, and asked me to disable it and see if that worked. It didn't. And I could not figure out how to disable it.  When I rang again, Chris suggested the same but additionally gave me an AVG phone number, as well as the information that the problem with AVG was very new. Thus: Events!
The AVG number led to part of the Virgin empire, and I was offered a years' subscription (79 pounds) or a one off payment (40pounds) for a 50 minute session. I declined the offer, thinking that another call to PlusNet would be cheaper.
This time I spoke to Lik (might have been Nick) who listened carefully to my problem, and suggested uninstalling AVG, and when the connection was made to go to Avira for their free equivalent product.
Which is what I have done.  Uninstalling AVG, with a reboot, opened Firefox and there I was looking at the friendly internet! And quickly got the new anti-virus before coming here.
A bit of persistence from me (motivated by a desire to not spend money) but backed up with good advice from your colleagues who were having to think out of the box given the new conditions of the AVG Event.
Excellent support. Please pass my thanks on.
W
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WynnLestrem,
so glad you eventually got it sorted and received good support along the way. Thank you very much for your feedback, I will gladly pass on your comments.
Jojo Smiley