Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Technicolor experience

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

New Technicolor experience

My old Router was not working well with ADSL2+ so I got a Plusnet one. The set up was less easy than it should be as I thought I could simply configure it by myself and the automatic config took over for a bit but I got there eventually. This caused a few connections and reconnections over the ocourse of an hour and my s/n margin went up from 3 to 9 in the process.
Unlike a  lot of people I actually like the Technicolor a lot and it held the initial set up for 5 days and i was hoping that it wold resync higher once the s/n margin came back down to 3 or 6dB. It reconnected at 3am on Weds but at an even higher S/n margin of 12 ( its currently at 9.1; down) which was the opposite of what I was expecting.
Why would that be please?
8 REPLIES 8
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: New Technicolor experience

Presumably, although the TG582N held the connection for 5 days, during this time there were a high number of errors, so when the connection re-synced DLM changed the target SNRM in order to reduce the errors. Is interleaving enabled? Could you post a copy of your full stats?
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Heres the dsl connection page
Uptime: 1 day, 5:41:11
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.027 / 4.131
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 141,56 / 1,47
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,5 / 40,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,9 / 9,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 662 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 206 / 886
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 254 / 1.392

No idea what the last 4 lines mean  Huh
wykehamhouse
Grafter

'FEC Errors (Up/Down):  0 / 0' - this means interleaving is disabled. Therefore, there is no error correction going on so one gets more errors as none are corrected. You are getting quite a few now ('662 Error Seconds' and '886 CRC Errors') so this suggests that you were getting even more at 9, 6 and 3dB which is why DLM increased the margin. I suggest getting interleaving enabled, leaving the connection for a few days and seeing if the errors reduce (they should). Then get one of the Digital Care Team ('Plusnet Staff') to do an 'SNRM reset' (it should actually be target SNRM reset, but they'll understand).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
Had a look over your line and I've placed a SNR reset that should bring the noise dB down for you. This usually takes around four hours to take effect.
Let me know how you get on.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Great
its been up for 8 hours and the SN margin is 1.6 at the moment. Still no FEC errors so it looks like interleaving is off? I've got a ticket open for that #66259747
here are the stats
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:36:12
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.035 / 5.811
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 534,31 / 381,24
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,3 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,5 / 40,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,6 / 1,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3.075 / 1
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 118 / 1.298
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 83 / 4.032
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Interleaving is currently set to Auto on your line, so while it is off at present it'll turn itself on again if the DLM system sees any errors on the line. That being said if you'd like it turning on in full that won't be a problem, just wanted to double check before we placed the order?
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks for this Matt.
To be honest I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I just couldn't explain why I was seeing a climbing ( rather than falling SNMargin) and wykehamhouse came up with the interleaving issue. I thought it was on by default.
If you think the best thing to do is to leave it alone then I'll go with that. (Auto seems like the best of both worlds)
I've had 30 hours of uptime at 5.811  and a margin currently of 2.5dB, so to my untutored eye it seems fine.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
I'd say to leave it on auto is the best for you as everything seems fine at the moment.