Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router

wilfy
Dabbler

New Router

Hi,
After having fibre installed and curing the BT wholesale redirect  Wink  i was wondering if there are any recommendations on different routers to use with fibre other than the Netgear WNR1000?
I was thinking of moving towards the Netgear N600 N750 or N900 as the wireless connection through the house is not that good.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
wilfy
6 REPLIES 6
jpoore
Hooked

Re: New Router

Hi Wilfy,
The higher spec Netgears do come highly recommended and they would be a good choice of router if you went for one. Draytek are also good but can be costly so it depends on your budget really.
Before you do so you should make sure you are on the best wireless channel for your area, if you are on a "busy" channel that lots of other routers are operating on it will cause you to have poor performance in terms of range, and speed.
InSSIDer will tell you the best channel for your area: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
If you need any help changing the wireless settings in your current WNR1000 please check out this link: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-wireless-settings.shtml
Also ensure your router isn't near any shiny metal things such as radiators because they will kill the wireless signal.
James
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Personally I think the marketing of "N600" is at best misleading since it just means 300Mbit at 2.4GHz and 300Mbit at 5GHz - a single device is not going to use both bands at the same time.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@wilfy
I can offer you a Tecnicolor TG582n router if you like.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Afternoon dude,
I have a WNDR4000 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-N750-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B004ZMC20A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337179719&sr=8-1).
Although I don't have fibre, I use it with a DG834 for ADSL, the main reason I got it is for the WD Sentinel and MyBookWorld on the network (both gigabit).
It has to be one of the most reliable routers that have existed, and as long as you have a WiFI card that supports 450mbps, its quite fast, never crashes, And Amazon do have a 30 day returns thingybob  Grin
(But be warned, it does have some sort of issue where it starts doing some odd BTW redirect thing, but its rare)
If you have gigabit needs and up to 450mbps, get it. I use it with a 300mbps card, it usually stays around 270mbps on 5GHz dual band.
EDIT: Ignore the bit that I mention about the BTW redirect, looks you got it covered already dude :L
theberrys
Grafter

@_Adam_Walker_
How can you offer a ADSL router for FTTC?  I asked about this via customer services and they said that it was an ADSL router and I could only get the Netgear for fibre.  Is customer services wrong?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

How can you offer a ADSL router for FTTC?

By offering one of my small stock of firmware modified TG582n routers that we have for FTTC 80/20 trialists Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team