cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router..Wont Connect Me To The Internet

jamesg2007
Dabbler

New Router..Wont Connect Me To The Internet

Hey guys, just bought a new wireless modem router.
It's a G Wireless Networking router from Belkin.
I followed the instructions provided (with the lan cable connected to the laptop, first, then removed) and entered my login connection details for plus net.
However, while the router is found by the laptop's built in wireless networking card, it connects but 'Local only' with no internet.
I ran the set up yet again, and when i enter the login details for plus net, it says that they are incorrect and the server wont verify the details (or something on that lines, anyway..i enter the correct details, and it wont connect) and suggests for me to contact my ISP.
(I am connected to the internet at this moment in time at a other family member's house)
Help plus net...
Thanks in advance
James Watt
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New Router..Wont Connect Me To The Internet

I initially had the 'local connectivity only' issue over wireless on an old laptop whereas Ethernet wired worked OK.
I ran the WinSockXPFix program available here to recreate the TCP/IP stack on XP, then restarted the computer and that completely cured the problem.
It's worth a try.
David
James
Grafter

Unless you have done already, I would suggest trying to establish a wired connection first and then wireless might kick into life.
It's happened before Smiley
jamesg2007
Dabbler

Hey, thanks for all the advice, the wired connection does work, but the wireless still won't do.
I'm using windows vista, and the laptop is only 4 months old, i have decided to take the laptop back to comet for them to have a look at it, as it seems that the built in wi-fi in the laptop is at fault.
My mobile connected to the router, and i was able to surf the internet with no problems at all.
Therefore, everything relating to the above problems with the username/password for PlusNet are no more.
It must be the laptop, lets hope anyway!
Thanks guys!
James Watt
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh dear, look at this other Thread, similar problem, lots of answers http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,63100.msg509494.html#msg509494