cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router = Slower Sync Speed...

nimarchetti

New Router = Slower Sync Speed...

For a variety of reasons, I have just replaced my old Zyxel router with a Draytek Vigor 120
Previously, I was with Zen on the Zyxel, and synced at about 2800. Since switching to plusnet a couple of months back, the zyxel only synced up to 2200, which was still ok for me, though a bit annoying!
Have switched to the Draytek tonight, and sync has dropped down to about 1100
Have I done anything wrong? Will my sync gradually return, or does somebody need to tweak a profile setting somewhere?
My Attenuation is 59, my SNR is 13
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
Nik
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: New Router = Slower Sync Speed...

morning welcome to the forums
Have switched to the Draytek tonight, and sync has dropped down to about 1100

it is a bad idea to reboot after about 15:00 hrs and before about 7:00, try a reboot this morning and hopefully you will get a highwer synch.
Also no more than two as BT will think you have a bad line
nimarchetti

Thank for your quick reply, pierre...
Rebooted this morning, now syncing at 1508, attenuation 59, SNR is 10
Still significantly slower than what I had with the old Zyxel router, and way off what Zen was capable of...
Would it be worth me asking someone at plusnet to kickstart the 10 day training process again? Just wondering if somehow my target SNR is off, or some other BT settings are wrong somewhere or other. Not an expert at this as you can tell!! Just can't understand the differences between ISPs (as surely its the same kit at the exchange, as there is no LLU with zen or plusnet out here in the sticks.
Have done some download tests, used to get 190 KBps with the zyxel (slow for a sync of 2200, but I think my IP profile was stuck at 1500!!), now getting about 140KBps
Any ideas - should I ask plusnet to restart the training process, or just see if time will sort it out? How often should I reboot the modem to see if the sync speed increases without making BT think the connection is dropping?
Thanks in advance for any help
nik
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Wont mean much to me but will help those in the know, post your router stats   http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php, and the results of a BT test http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and what PN think your profile is https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed  delete your phone number when posting
nimarchetti

BT Speedtest as follows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1138 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1504 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
All seems reasonable, just dissapointingley less than with my Zyxel router and my times with Zen
Router stats are still attenuation 59, SNR between 10 and 13 - maybe my target SNR should be less, that's why I though kickstarting the 10 training process might be a plan
Nik
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd say if you were getting better speeds with the other router then moving back to that would be the best thing to try. What was it that prompted the change in the first place?
Also has anything else plugged into your phone network been moved when you were swapping the routers out? Just wondering if there's something that's slipped by without a microfilter or something, probably worth checking those or at least testing the sync speed from the master socket with everything else removed.
nimarchetti

Switched to the modem so I could use the PPPoA-PPPoE bridge that it supports and therefore use it directly with my Apple Airport Extreme.
Also, the old router used to drop the connection sometimes, and wouldn't automatically bring it back up, and as its in the attic it meant I'd have to go up to reset it!
It may be that the reason it used to drop the connection was because it was syncing too fast (!), but then the connection only really dropped out every couple of weeks, and was stable in between.
The ADSL connection is in the attic where the BT master socket is, all extensions come are routed through the one microfilter that the ADSL comes off...
Am loath to go back to the old router, having just spent £50 on the new modem! Will do if I have to, but was wondering if a 10 day retrain is worth a shot?
Also can't understand why I sync slower (with whatever router/modem) with plusnet (max of 2200 since I am with PN) than with Zen (always between 2500 and 2750)...? You are both just resellers of the same BT equipment/connection? When I first switched to PN, I did have some trouble necessitating a lot of router reboots etc... (upwards of 20, due to rewiring my attic/home network)... wondering if that has 'scarred my record', which is why the 10 day retrain is tempting for a fresh start!
nik
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think you may be right and that flurry of disconnections will have kicked off the DLM. Given what you've said, if you're happy everything is as stable as it's going to get then I'll reset the training period for you - if you confirm that I'll do it straight away.
nimarchetti

Thanks Matt. I confirm that I'd like you to go ahead and set me retraining- I take it the protocol is do not touch the modem for the next 10 days!
Can't get any worse can it! Wink (I hope I don't live to regret that!)
Thanks again
nik
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good afternoon,
I'm sorry we weren't able to get back to you yesterday following your last reply. I have just submitted the reset now for you and the retraining process should begin within the next couple of hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FYI just though I'd mention that a single reboot every day between around 10.30AM and 3.00PM should give your line the best chances or resynchronising at a higher speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team