cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Attenuation

julesandsand
Grafter

Re: New Router Attenuation

Sorry @Oldjim - I did miss your question.
No the alarm didn't beep and if removing the faceplate had disconnected the Redcare I would have had a call from the monitoring company.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It wouldn't have disconnected the Redcare but it should have disconnected the alarm.
You might check the alarm manual or better still the alarm supplier/monitoring company
julesandsand
Grafter

However the alarm has been there for years and can't explain the sudden loss of speed today.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
It wouldn't have disconnected the Redcare but it should have disconnected the alarm.

For Redcare to work and detect the phone line have been tempted with or cut it has to have a connection to the alarm system.  Redcare is no different to any alarm system that work on a closed loop principle. The loop being closed by the Alarm panel, if the alarm panel is wired in the same way as extensions every time the removable part of the BT socket is removed then this will be flagged to the monitoring centre. Hence the reason alarms are wired directly to the incoming A/B wires.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case - was it installed before the broadband and is it properly filtered
julesandsand
Grafter

I'll need to ask the installers.
I'm moving away from PN to a LLU supplier hopefully they will be better.
itsme
Grafter

If you do more over to LLU I be interested to see if you can still have Redcare on your line? I can't remember seeing Redcare on a LLU line, whether MPF or SMPF. The latter is possible to have Redcare but not sure with the former.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

From here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/regulation/t/3556261-re-llu-and-redcare.html
In plainer english, it [Redcare} is compatible with Shared LLU e.g. Sky/O2 and not Full LLU
To confuse things Tiscali use a mix of both full and shared LLU these days. Talk Talk LLU is always FULL LLU, and AOL LLU is thought to still be shared LLU (but may change in the future)
There is nothing in rules obligating a provider to tell you what type of service they use to deliver your broadband/telephone bundle and some people have found themselves moved while remaining with a provider.
Andrew Ferguson,
julesandsand
Grafter

I've asked the ISP if it will be an issue.
I don't like Redcare but my insurer insists on remote signalling and as I have an overhead line, I'm given to understand that it has to be Redcare.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: julesandsand
I'm moving away from PN to a LLU supplier hopefully they will be better.

It's your best hope if the root cause of your problems was the equipment in the telephone exchange and/or BT's crazy DLM system or your router (assuming you get a new one with the new ISP).   
julesandsand
Grafter

I've now got a choice of 2 wireless N routers so will have the opportunity to check this. Also in the process of installing new filters from ADSL Nation so I'll see if that helps.
julesandsand
Grafter

Have been informed that Redcare on the line is not a problem.
No specific mention of LLU although the package I've ordered is only available with LLU.
julesandsand
Grafter

Update - according to my new ISP tech support, there is no longer any issue with Redcare and LLU.