cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Attenuation

julesandsand
Grafter

New Router Attenuation

I've just replaced my Belkin router with a D-Link one. I'm on ADSL2+.
The Belkin reported an attenuation of 44.5dB, the D-Link 34dB.
Why the difference?
57 REPLIES 57
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: New Router Attenuation

Some router reports are more accurate than others.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a huge difference, approximately ten times more signal than before !
If it is a matter of accuracy, rather than a change in actual levels, then which router is indicating correctly ?
julesandsand
Grafter

Good question!!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: purleigh
That is a huge difference, approximately ten times more signal than before !
If it is a matter of accuracy, rather than a change in actual levels, then which router is indicating correctly ?
I have not got a clue, It's either my suggestion or a line fault.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What speed and noise margin is the D-Link synchronising at
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose if you put those attenuations in the Kitz speed calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Then 44.5dB gives an ADSL2+ sync speed of 7552Kbps, whereas 34dB corresponds to a sync speed of 12352Kbps.
So it will be interesting to see if your connection speed changes rate after a few days !
julesandsand
Grafter

From the router -
ADSL STATISTICS
Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6655 kbps 444 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 1.2 18.5
Attenuation (dB): 34.0 16.5
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Super Frames: 627766 627767
RS Correctable Errors: 44340 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 54 65510

HEC Errors: 97 0
Total Cells: 62828 84162
Data Cells: 2023233 411842
Bit Errors: 0 0
The SNR margin on my old router was 6dB which was the value on this router when I installed it, not now though, currently showing at 0.5.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The new router appears to be giving totally spurious results
Is there a firmware update for it
julesandsand
Grafter

No, the latest firmware is installed.
Why do say the results seem to be spurious?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The downstream attenuation, noise margin and speeds just don't match
The speed/noise margin is what you would expect from an attenuation as reported by the Belkin
The speed/attenuation and noise margin for the upstream don't match either. You should be seeing a much higher noise margin.
During daylight hours can you try the Beliin again and report the full stats. If possible use the cable you were using with the Belkin assuming you changed it when you changed to the D-Link
julesandsand
Grafter

@Oldjim  - I assume you mean the telephone (RJ11?) cable? If so it's the same one, I did change the filter to the one supplied with the router.
As a matter of interest why the distinction between daylight and the hours of darkness?
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is said that the very best time to establish a connection between the router and the phone exchange, is between 10:00am and 12:00 midday.
The theory is that because the connection will always be subject to a certain level of interference and general noise, you should try and do it when the noise is at it's lowest.
Generally evening and night time are the noisiest times, and breakfast time and evening there tends to be lots of things getting switched on and off in your house.
So the advice is generally -
Leave your router switched on at all times, to avoid the exchange thinking the on/off transitions are line noise.
If you are trying to raise your sync speed, leave the router on for at least 72 hours, then switch it off for about 30 minutes, and then switch it on between 10:00am and 12:00 midday, and then leave it on.
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I agreed with OldJim that your router's figures don't make as much sense as they should,
I'm wondering whether you have the router plugged into an extension socket, rather than the master socket (where the phone line comes into your house).
Having normal audio grade extension wiring WILL have a detrimental effect on your router stats, particularly if it is acting as an aerial picking up noise - which might explain your slightly unusual figures ?
itsme
Grafter

A sync rate of 6655kbps is what users are seeing on a banded profile.
Quote from: Oldjim
The downstream attenuation, noise margin and speeds just don't match

From my own experience the SNRM does not make much sense when on a banded profile. I had when banded a sync rate of 2262 at 6dB then had the banding removed now sync at 3652 with a 15dB margin. Having said that I would not expect to see such a major difference with the attenuation between the 2 modems.